The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 8, 2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Texas Phil Peeno

What do you think of a muled eared SxS for home defense?

Need a new SxS for CAS and a home defense shotgun. Can't get both per Missus. What do you think about TTN SxS as a home defense weapon using 00 buck shots? I can see having it loaded with hammers down for safety precautions. However it leaves me with only two shots versus 5+ shot pump (not to mention the racking sound of death).
Old February 8, 2010, 11:51 AM   #2
oneounceload

Quote:
not to mention the racking sound of death
Don't count on that being a factor in your defensive plan.

Edited: thread was on another forum

A SxS can be a viable gun for HD as long as you practice since you only have two shots immediately available

Last edited by oneounceload; February 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old February 8, 2010, 01:54 PM   #3
t4terrific

I keep a round in the chamber of my Mossberg 500 Persuader. The only sound is the safety, then "BANG".
Old February 8, 2010, 01:57 PM   #4
t4terrific

I keep a Stoeger Coachgun, and a Kel Tec PF9, bedside. The Mossberg is in the cabinet.

I keep the Stoeger loaded with the safety catch on. A leather Galco buttstock shell holder houses 5 extra rounds of 000 Buck.
Old February 8, 2010, 02:50 PM   #5
zippy13

My prime concern is having the external hammers snag on something during HD application.
Old February 8, 2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Good thing about the double barrel is that you are less likely to waste ammo by firing a warning shot. Get it and enjoy. Bad guys beware, this guy shoots CAS so he probably knows what to do with that gun. Racking the slide on a pump never impressed me but the sight of a muzzle does if it isn't in my hands and 2 of them could ruin my laundry.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 8, 2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Lee Lapin

They've been working OK in that application for a couple hundred years or more. No reason one won't do now- if YOU will do.

Chances are if you're any kind of CAS shooter, you'll do...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old February 8, 2010, 06:58 PM   #8
b.thomas

I've got a old Ithaca 20 gauge sxs and I'm sure with some double O buck it would make a bad guy have a real bad day!
Old February 9, 2010, 10:18 AM   #9
apr1775

It will make a fine HD gun. You can keep both barrels safely loaded and all you need to do is cock the hammers and it is ready for action. It will be the same gun you practice with. The overall length of a double will be shorter than a pump with the same barrel length. A pump may have that sound, but a side by side has that look when it's pointed at you. Two rounds, so what, if you compete with it, you'll be fast reloading, and keep the large bore CAS sixgun as backup.....I pity the fool who breaks into your house.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:43 PM   #10
DG45

A double blast of 00 buckshot is potent HD medicine.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:18 PM   #11
mxsailor803

a single barrel 12ga. beats a baseball bat every day!!
Old February 10, 2010, 08:05 PM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The late ,great Colonel Cooper had a short barreled, outside hammer "Lupara" as part of his home defense system. They have a lot going for them.

As with ALL firearms used for defense, complete and total familiarity with the platform is mandatory.
Old February 10, 2010, 11:15 PM   #13
jrothWA

It has about the same image as a....

SNARLING german shepard, with its ears laid back.

I preume we're talking about current made hammer shotgun??

Be a little leary of a early manufacture shotgun, parts, reliability, etc.
Old February 10, 2010, 11:49 PM   #14
bbqbob51

In my opinion, a short barreled SxS coachgun is a VERY effective home defense gun. Extremely easy and foolproof to operate and anyone on the receiving end will have a bad day!
Old February 11, 2010, 01:25 AM   #15
gyvel

As has been pointed out several times, both here and in other threads, you have only two shots. If you're comfortable with that concept and proficient with the weapon, fine.
Old February 11, 2010, 03:10 AM   #16
bamaranger

I think.......

that anybody that assails your castle or loved ones is in for a very bad experience. The external hammer guns are ready w/ no compressed springs 'till cocked, a mechanical advantage over a hammerless gun to me.

Consider keeping some ammo on the 'gun, as in a secure, lace on, butt 'cuff.
Also, no doubt you have a pistol somewhere about, use it to "back" the SXS.
Old February 13, 2010, 08:29 AM   #17
mradam

I thin kit would make a fine HD gun. Just remember to practice, practice, practice. Load and unload it in the dark, load and unload offhanded, try loading it one handed too. Make sure you know every bit of that gun completely.

Use it often. Like someone said, make it your practice gun.
Old February 13, 2010, 12:40 PM   #18
tango1niner

Even a single shot is better than nothing if you make the ONE shot count, my preference though would be a 20" barreled Ithaca 37. I keep one handy with a mix of buck shot and #2's. You could even throw a slug or 2 in the mix in case the bad guy keeps hidden on the other side of the wall.
Old February 13, 2010, 01:15 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

Its what they were invented for....

To repel boarders.

I have one, with shells in the butt cuff. A no brand name made in China gun, but it works! And at less than $200 when I got it, if the cops decide it needs to be evidence for months/years, I won't cry too much.

Yes, the down side is only having two shots. But to balance that, you can't short stroke a SxS! Shorter than a pump (by about 6"!) they are very handy, and better than any other long gun inside the house (except possibly something you can use with the stock folded).

Remember, in a home defense situation, you are legally responsible for every shot you fire. Not having enough shots in the gun to "spray and pray" is actually better, particularly if you live in an urban situation. Most places, firing a "warning shot" is not legally a good idea.

Home defense is about driving off the attacker(s), more often than anything else. Stopping them by shooting them is done only in gravest extreme. A double barrel 12ga has proven effective and efficient since they came out, and are no less so today.

Practice, and know where your gun hits at close range (because it ain't like so many people think it is). At across the room ranges, your pattern will be somewhere between your fist and your open hand in size. You can miss, and easily, if you haven't practiced. But, just a little bit of practice can give even a complete beginner the ability to use the gun effectively at home defense distances.

My personal opinion is that every member of the household that can physically use a coach gun should be taught how, whether they are interested in shooting, or not. Once they know the basics of how to use it, if they don't care for shooting, fine. At least you know that they know, and could use it in an emegency. There is no gun that is simpler to use, or hit with at close range, and has that kind of power. There have been many times over the years where even pre-teen children have saved themselves and family members, because the gun was available, and they knew enough to use it sucessfully.

Obviously, each of us has to decide what is right for our own households, taking all factors into account. But don't dismiss the coach gun, just because you only have two shots without reloading. Having one, and being able to work it, is a lot better than having a "better" gun that could be fumbled with or is harder to hit with under stress.
Old February 13, 2010, 04:59 PM   #20
gyvel

And what's the most interesting about all of this is that, even though the double is limited to two shots, they have always had a tremendous psychological effect on those having one pointed at them.
Old February 13, 2010, 06:06 PM   #21
Lawyer Daggit

I would use 4 shot rather than buck- less over penetration problems and sounds a bit better when explaining yourself afterwards to a jury.
Old February 13, 2010, 06:15 PM   #22
rickyjames

excellent choice. having to cock the hammers makes keeping it loaded safer than the hammerless design in my opinion. i have one and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling
Old February 14, 2010, 12:13 AM   #23
tango1niner

If the sound of racking the slide or firing a warning shot (not that I would) stops the advance I think it's a good thing. And... if after doing both of those things he/they keep coming I want the Ithaca !
Old February 14, 2010, 12:21 AM   #24
tango1niner

..oops
Old February 14, 2010, 09:11 AM   #25
jlv08

I bought my wife ( 5'1' 120 lbs.) a Pardner single shot for an adjunct to her snubnose 38 for HD when I work long overnite shifts. I had a 16 gauge double barrel Stevens but It just wasn't a good fit for her if she decided to go for a shotgun.

The Pardner is .410 gauge and is stoked with oo buck 3" shells. It's not loaded now but can be in a flash if need be.

My grandfathers had double barrels for farm and home protection and that was tacticool to them at the time.

Real effective for two or four legged critters!