The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 1, 2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Hardcase

Bad situation resolved...

My sister and a friend of hers were in The Bahamas for about a week in January. They did the tourist thing and hit the clubs and shopping, all that stuff. They both walk...a lot. About halfway through the trip, they were out pretty late and walking back to their condo and broke the cardinal rule of being out at night. They weren't aware of their surroundings. A guy ran up to them and grabbed at my sister's purse.

Now, she's pretty strong and apparently her purse was pretty tough, too. So they started a purse tug of war. Her friend just froze. So, my sister did the only thing that came to mind. She started yelling. And apparently, the most amazing stream of cursing and obscenities started flowing forth at ear-piercing volume. Now, she's an elementary school teacher, so she can crank it up and apparently she was in overdrive. It took about 10 seconds of this for lights to start turning on and the thief decided that this was a really bad idea.

So she was fortunate that nobody was hurt, nothing was stolen and she was able to come back home with a good story (that will probably entertain us for years). Her friend learned new words. I, a former sailor, blushed.

They took taxis at night after that.
Old May 1, 2009, 02:52 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

Need to have a talk with that friend.
Old May 1, 2009, 03:07 PM   #3
comn-cents

Glad she's alright.
Old May 1, 2009, 05:59 PM   #4
PoorSoulInJersey

She's lucky. She could have been hurt playing purse tug of war with someone who had a gun or a knife.
Old May 1, 2009, 07:23 PM   #5
longcall911

Congrats to that fine lady for kickin a BG's butt.

I thought your ending was going to be "so she pulled out her .44 Magnum, shot a couple in the air and he ran off". :-)

/*tom*/
Old May 5, 2009, 10:11 AM   #6
TEDDY

CRIME

times have changed places that were safe no longer are.and most foreign countries do not allow weapons for self protection.
I never had problems over seas as I gueses I looked confident.
my take now is STAY AWAY FROM FOREIGN COUNTRIES.we have more to see in this country.and it would send a message to the other countries.
she was lucky.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:31 AM   #7
onthejon55

Its sad that the friend didnt help. If this would have happened to me (getting mugged, not getting in a purse tug of war) and my friend didnt help i would probably have a hard time talking to them ever...
Old May 5, 2009, 02:23 PM   #8
MEATSAW

Quote:
Its sad that the friend didnt help.

Very true. Unfortunately most times you don't know if the person next to you will freeze up or help out...friend or not. I am sure that the friend isn't too proud of her actions.
Old May 6, 2009, 02:16 PM   #9
PhoenixConflagration

I agree with both onthejohn and Meatsaw. One never knows how one will react in a high stress situation, but I would definitely have problems with that friend in the future. Not saying the friendship would be over, but I'd look at them differently.
Old May 7, 2009, 04:48 AM   #10
obxned

Friend????

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old May 7, 2009, 08:22 PM   #11
Mr. Davis

Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me...

That poor BG will probably sue her for emotional damage!
Old May 11, 2009, 05:13 AM   #12
Brit

My Wife had a third person enter our elevator in a Hotel in Dayton, and state he needed a hug! And went to step towards her! The look on her face was total freeze! Her whole body was rigid. Not an action Lady my Wife.

I changed this nice suited persons mind.
Old May 11, 2009, 07:22 AM   #13
TEDDY

freeze

Its basicly a mind set.if you are not prepared in your mind to fight than you are lost.also an awareness of your surondings can help as the perp wants a victim and if you seem alert they are going to avoid you.I lived in some poor naborhoods and never was bothered.