The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 28, 2008, 05:16 AM   #1
reaper715

Sometimes I wonder about the ATF.

I got back my approved Form 1 this weekend and took my gsg-5 to the gunsmith to have the barrel cut down and threaded for my Gemtech adapter. When I got there I handed him my paperwork and gun. He checked the paperwork and suddenly said "uh oh". I replied with "uh oh what"? Then he showed me the paperwork. in the barrel length and over all length columns I put the actual length of the gun and not the length it was going to be when I "made" it. I don't know what happened? I could have just read the wrong numbers off my papers when I was filling out the form 1 on TITLEII.COM. Guess that just shows you that you have to proofread everything. Anyway, he called the ATF and they told me just to send them a letter with the corrections and they would send me a letter with the changes to keep with my Form 1.

I just thought it was funny that they sent me an SBR tax stamp that I was registering as having a 16 inch barrel. I can't remember what the overall length actually was but I do know it was legal as the gun has been unmodified since I purchased it from my local store. I can only hope they see some weird stuff come across their desk and didn't pay any attention to it.
Old August 28, 2008, 05:20 AM   #2
reaper715

P.S. this is the third SBR I have done but I did the AR and 870 myself. bought the upper and the barrel and put them on and had them engraved.
This was a learning experience and I hope that anyone who has a typo they didn't catch remembers just to send a letter to them and await their response.
Old August 28, 2008, 09:32 AM   #3
raymond-

what OAL did you enter?
Old August 29, 2008, 11:28 AM   #4
reaper715

The OAL I put on the paperwork was 34 which is how long it is with the fixed stock and 16 inch barrel.