The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2007, 07:27 PM   #1
Vartarg

ShootingChrony, Pact or CED?

I'm going to purchase a chronograph, and am considering these three, and leaning towards the ShootingChrony. Comments? Suggestions? Thanks, George
Old March 17, 2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Smokey Joe

Which chronograph?

George T. Walker, jr: Good on you getting a chronograph. IMHO, the brand doesn't matter (they all work) as much as getting the features that you want. I say this because I happened on a deal on a Shooting Chrony with all the bells and whistles, including remote readings AND a printer.

The remote readings are a plus because (1) you can see the reading right on yr bench, rather than having the reading on the chrony, and (2) if you happen to shoot the box on the chrony there is less there to damage, therefore less expense to replace.

The printer is a REAL plus because (1) it does all the math for you (standard deviation, average velocity, hi velocity, lo velocity, and the actual velocity of each shot in the string, andd (2) it prints this all out for you to tape right to the target you shot, so there is no data lost or misplaced.

I am very glad I got all the bells and whistles. You might consider buying the upgrades when you buy the original, rather than waiting. Cheaper that way. Anyhow, it worked for me.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 17, 2007, 09:39 PM   #3
rwilson452

I originally bought the Alpha Master Chrony. Since then I added the printer then upgraded to a Gamma Master. On further reflection for my personal use the Beta master with printer would be all I need. I even got the software and cable that I haven't used yet. The printer is nice and the ability to unhook and review data at home is a plus.
Old March 17, 2007, 10:07 PM   #4
robc

For your first chrony, get the cheapest one you can find. If you're anything like the rest of us, you will shoot it.
Old March 17, 2007, 10:15 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If memory serves me, the Shooting Chrony is upgradable. So, if you're on a budget, maybe get the Alpha. Then, as you can afford, send it in and it can be upgraded to have the exact same features as a Beta would have. The cost, IIRC, is minimal. Call MidwayUSA and talk to a tech rep. They should give you straight answers and they have great prices and even better customer service.

Help you any?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 17, 2007, 10:17 PM   #6
Nortonics

Get the best - CED Millennium. And get the infrared illuminator option and the battery pack too - you won't be disappointed. And no matter how old or young you are in this area, you're gonna' hit it every now & then, and when ya do, the CED replacement parts are plentiful and inexpensive.

Definitely more expensive up-front than the others, but good reasons for it.
Old March 18, 2007, 12:03 AM   #7
Mr Beta

I use the Chrony Master Beta . I use the Beta Master and it does everything I need it to. Figures all the numbers for me and it's nice and compact.
Old March 18, 2007, 07:12 AM   #8
clown714

hands down the CED.

clown
Old March 18, 2007, 09:52 AM   #9
robctwo

I bought the PACT with the remote unit. I like the computer on the bench. I need to write down the results as I do not have a printer. So far I'm good with that.
Old March 18, 2007, 11:26 AM   #10
Smokey Joe

Ced??

Nortonics--I'm sure this says more about me than about CED, but I haven't heard of that outfit. Who handles CED chronographs? Where can info be had?

--Smokey Joe
Old March 18, 2007, 11:29 AM   #11
Double J

robc has the idea. Start cheap 'cause it'll get shot. Look for a model with the bigger screen area. Be careful when using scoped guns and never put it in front of a cannon.
Old March 18, 2007, 11:46 AM   #12
Nortonics

Quote:
Nortonics--I'm sure this says more about me than about CED, but I haven't heard of that outfit. Who handles CED chronographs? Where can info be had?
Here's CED's site:

http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object29

And here's probably the best on-line site to purchase from:

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/chronographs.htm
Old March 18, 2007, 01:01 PM   #13
Smokey Joe

Thx!

Nortonics--The CED looks like a good unit. Thx for websites. Very informative.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 18, 2007, 05:02 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

Ditto's on the CED. I own one I got as a second chronograph to have downrange for velocity loss readings for deriving ballistic coefficients. I already own the no-longer available Oehler 35P, which had previously been the gold standard. The CED agrees extremely well with the Oehler. The same cannot be said for my dad’s Chrony, which, around 4:00 in the afternoon, reads 200 fps higher when measuring .308’s that are actually going around 2500 fps. As an instrumentation engineer, it also bothers me that Chrony’s web site uses their timebase clock period for their accuracy specification. It is as if sensor transient response, coupling delay, sensitivity and internal chronometer bit error didn’t play any roll. I infer that a marketing person wrote the specifications.

The only other high end chronograph I am aware of is the PVM-21 sold by NECO. It is made by a German company that specializes in high speed electronic sensing devices. It uses a 16 megahertz timebase for higher resolution, instead of the 4 megahertz clock everyone else now uses. It has a built-in IR light source, rather than making that an accessory as the CED does. I would love to test drive one, but at $730.00 a pop, it is a little steep to try when my other instruments seem to be pretty good.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 19, 2007, 05:02 AM   #15
Thirties

PACT chronographs are excellent, with their "brains" sitting on your shooting table.

If and when you shoot the thing, the parts are $5 each time. After a while you realize that if you tape a piece of cardboard, with a bullseye on it, to the rear of the second "V" brackets, you'll never shoot it again.
Old March 19, 2007, 11:32 AM   #16
Vartarg

Thanks

Thanks for all the great response to my question. I'll admit that I'm still "studying" the issue. There seems to be good support for each of them. I'm still leaning towards the ShootingCrony.....in part based on reading the customer reviews on the MidwestUSA site, and the fact that Sinclair sells the Crony unit.
I appreciate your input.
Old April 8, 2007, 08:55 AM   #17
rfdillon

GeorgetwalkerJr, I will second the need for you to purchase a chronograph that is separate from the screens - that way you can record the results safely from your shooting bench, and if you accidentaly hit the screen, the cost is a few bucks for a piece of plastic, not an entirely new chronograph! By the way, I have an old original Pact - still accurate and works fine! Check out eBay, you will be surprised at all of the great reloading gear listed there.
Old April 8, 2007, 01:44 PM   #18
tharmer

Midsouth is having a sale on the Beta Chroney. I got the master for $108. Ordered it yesterday.
Old April 8, 2007, 09:28 PM   #19
amamnn

The Shooting Chrony brains sit on the bench too, if you buy the master version of whatever model. The differences in models being mainly in how the strings are stored. I like the Alpha master which stores up to 6 - 10 shot groups. Other folks might want more shots in a string. The more shots in a string, the more accurate your SD--allegedly. After studying up on how SD is calculated, I've gone to watching ES and the average, and a 10 shot string is all I need for ladder tests.

I had a very nice Oheler that a friend destroyed for me and ended up going through 2 other chronographs before settling on the Chrony. I re-shot some strings that I had recorded from the Oheler and could find no real difference in the Chrony.

I like PACT products but was not really impressed with their chronograph when I was looking 5 years ago. Things may have changed. I like the Ballistics II software for the Shooting Chrony and recently found out it works fine with Windows Vista.