The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 23, 2000, 11:29 PM   #1
Clark

Sometimes I buy old Iver Johnson break top revolvers for $40 at gun
shows. [cheapest gun in the whole show]. In 100 years, someone often
gets around to using the pistol as a hammer. Pieces of the handles are
missing. I could get replacements at Numerich for $15.75 + shipping,
but I hate to give them the satisfaction.

Has anyone mixed up black color and 2 part epoxy to repair cheap old
grips?

Old August 24, 2000, 12:55 AM   #2
beemerb

AN idea.Very small drill dit drill some hole in the broken off part and then fill with JB weld.MAke sure you get it into the hole to give it a little better hold.
The other would be to use glass bedding to repair and paint after.I know you can die this bedding but I don't know if black is avilable.
Either should work.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old August 24, 2000, 01:25 PM   #3
Alex Johnson

Sure you can. I use lampblack (soot) to color the expoxy and I undercut the chips a bit so that the epoxy has a better hold on the part. Put some extra on their and when dry sand or file it down to the surface and polish it very carefully to avoid affecting the surrounding areas. As long as you can avoid air bubbles in the expoxy while you do it the repairs should be almost invisible when compleated (assuming you polish the rest of the grips to match the additon. I don't recommend this for large areas, but it's great for small chips and cracks. Oh by the way, if you have to work over checkering get hold of some of the really small riffler files as they make life a whole lot simpler.
Old August 24, 2000, 05:40 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those grips were made of an early form of plastic called hard rubber or gutta percha. When new, they were reasonably durable, but with age become very brittle. It does not require using the gun as a hammer to break them, only dropping the gun or removing the grips carelessly.

There was a compound on the market to fix those grips. It came in a small can and looked a little like caulking. It could be put on with a knife and smoothed down or painted, although it was already black. I have not seen it for a while, but the epoxy ideas seem OK.

Jim
Old September 2, 2000, 12:28 PM   #5
Clark

Jim, where do find out stuff like that?

I bought some Accu gel from Brownell's that I am going to try.

I have lots of beater Iver Johnsons to experement on.

Some of the beaters have dimples on the butt from hammer like work, others do not. I know I killed a weasel in 1971 by hitting it with an Iver Johnson.[We should have taken better care of Grandpa's gun]

[This message has been edited by Clark (edited September 02, 2000).]
Old September 2, 2000, 09:48 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Clark,

The problem is I don't remember. I recall it came in a yellow can and I once mistook it for Casenit (no I didn't use it by mistake, just reached for the wrong can). I wish I could remember as I would like to get some. I remember it was shiny, like tar and I put it on with a putty knife.

Jim
Old September 3, 2000, 04:19 PM   #7
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

I've done the epoxy/lampblack thing on a pair of old IJ grips. Made an invisible repair. But when I tried to repeat it another time, made a gummy mess. I think it is epoxy brand dependent. If I had to do another, I would try this stuff: http://www.avisa.com/tvm

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.