The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 29, 2005, 02:06 PM   #1
mec

Goes FFG VS Antique DuPont FFG

We had a near-depleted can of this DuPont product dated 7/ 1924. Exact age is not known as apparently this date appears on all the early 20th Century cans. We compared it to a new can of Goex (picture)

Last edited by mec; August 28, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old January 29, 2005, 04:11 PM   #2
Ozzieman

You only attached one picture but thanks just the same

The can could be worth some money as good a shape as its in, the fact that you said that there is some powder in it would make it worth more. What that would be I have no idea.
Old January 29, 2005, 09:49 PM   #3
mec

The owner of this one had several others from the same estate. All dated the same and all with the same serial number on the picture. He sold them off except for one or two empties and is regretting that he didn't hang on to them a little longer. They are worth something now.

We found it interesting to shoot the six or so loads that were left to compare to modern Goex and to take a look at the performance of powder that must be over 60 years old. the five round check is far from definitive but does point to good long term preservation and a reasonable approximation of what you get with the new stuff.
Old January 30, 2005, 01:07 AM   #4
fastforty

Hey, that is an awesome pic, it just became my new desktop background

tytyty