The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2016, 10:57 AM   #1
taymag

Using a Lee Auto Disk Pro on a progressive LnL.. Why the chain??

So I just ordered my Lock-n-Load and was wondering a quick question. I plan on using my Lee dies and expander/powder through with the Auto Disk Pro and happened to remember the chain my powder measures came with. It seems like you are supposed to use the chain with progressive presses but I can't figure out why. As far as the case getting charged wouldn't the measure be going through the same step as it would on a single stage press? Spring moves the disk(s) to the drop hole when arm is lowered, spring naturally returns back into place to get powder from the measure when the arm is raised...?
Old June 19, 2016, 11:34 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

On the Lee progressive presses, the chain ensures full retraction of the measure on the press downstroke.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 19, 2016, 11:40 AM   #3
taymag

But why would a progressive need a confirmed retraction and a single stage not "need" it?
Old June 19, 2016, 11:48 AM   #4
Tooltech

Lee recommended the chain to prevent a double charge. the measure won't reset until the full press stroke is completed.

I never found it necessary to use the chain on my Loadmaster, or on my LNL. The return spring is reliable, and not prone to breakage.

A powder check or lock out die will take care of powder charge concerns.
Old June 20, 2016, 11:44 AM   #5
lee n. field

When I got my Lee Classic Turret, I robbed the Pro Autodisk off my Pro 1000. I had to get the spring kit for it to run on the turret press.

the spring works fine.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "