The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 30, 2015, 12:00 PM   #1
bandaid1

NC Gun legislation

http://www.wral.com/sweeping-gun-law...vote/14610483/

House Bill 562 has a lot of parts to it, from allowing firearms at schools, to allowing DA's to carry in courtrooms, to stopping noise ordinances from shutting down gun ranges, stopping doctors from asking about firearm ownership, Domestic Violence limitations on 2nd Amendment rights, and hopefully getting rid of the dumb pistol permit to buy law.

Me personally, I want that dumb pistol purchase permit gotten rid of. All it does is force you to get TWO background checks. I'm against any permit to exercise a right.

Keep your fingers crossed for us in North Carolina. We are trying to get back what was stolen as best we can.

"Non sibi sed patriae"
Old April 30, 2015, 12:58 PM   #2
SamNavy

Crossing my fingers... NC is one of our top 5 "States to retire in".
Old April 30, 2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Doyle

I think most of the provisions are good commons sense (for gun owners). However, I'm not so sure about the provision preventing mental health professionals from disclosing ownership to LE. After every one of the mass shootings, it came out that there were people who knew those individuals had mental issues AND were a danger to others. Even members of this forum expressed opionions that they could have been stopped if the appropriate people interviened.
Old April 30, 2015, 01:22 PM   #4
Mosin-Marauder

If they get rid of the pistol permit law I will physically jump for joy.

Hooray for the Old North State!

Regards,

-Mo.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old April 30, 2015, 02:08 PM   #5
DMK

Latest new on this bill at GRNC:

http://paracom.paramountcommunicatio...d&ei=W3dkwl1AN

Quote:
Thanks to your input, which sent thousands of emails and calls to legislators, House Bill 562 is still alive, but hanging by a thread. As you know, a bill must pass at least one chamber by April 30 to remain alive. Because the bill requires two debates on the chamber floor (Second and Third Readings), which must be done on successive days, effectively it needed to hit the floor by April 29.

The bad news is that didn’t make the floor yesterday. Due to the anti-gun actions of Rep. LEO DAUGHTRY (R-Johnston, GRNC evaluation under review), the Judiciary Chairman leading the effort to gut the bill, the GOP caucus couldn’t gather enough support to pass the bill on the floor and send it to the Senate.

The good news is that House Rules Chairman DAVID LEWIS (R-Harnett , GRNC ****) kept the bill alive by convening a meeting of Rules during a recess, adding a fiscal note and re-referring the bill to the Appropriations Committee. Under legislative rules, bills with fiscal considerations are immune from the crossover deadline and may be introduced and passed at any time.

Therefore, although we weren’t able to pass HB 562, it remains alive and will likely be acted on next week. One caveat: Leadership says they still want to “work on” the bill, meaning your continued input will be crucial.

The latest version of HB 562:

• Allows District Attorneys, members of the Dept. of Public Safety and administrative law judges to carry in courtrooms;
• Expands concealed carry on educational properties to allow CHP-holders to keep firearms concealed on their persons or to transfer them to and from closed compartments provided the vehicle remains locked;
• Establishes an affirmative defense for CHP-holders forced leave the vehicle on educational property in order to respond to a deadly threat;
• One bad measure allows the Commissioner of Agriculture to prohibit guns at the State Fair, but the bill also establishes the right to keep firearms in locked motor vehicles at the fair and establishes a study to examine means of allowing permit-holders to check firearms at fair entrances;
• Expands sport shooting range to protect more recently established ranges;
• Removes or limits some minor misdemeanors from being disqualifiers for CHPs;
• Allows short-barreled rifles to be used for hunting;
• Reduces the penalty for carry on posted property from a misdemeanor to an infraction;
• Repeals North Carolina’s pistol purchase permit system;
• Requires reporting of disqualifying crimes to the National Instant Background Check System (NICS) within 48 hours;
• Allows individuals to seek injunctive relief and recover legal costs from local governments which adopt illegal gun restrictions in violation of statewide firearms preemption;
• Requires Chief Law Enforcement Officer certification for Title II firearm applications by qualified applicants;
• Requires sheriffs to issue CHPs to qualified applicants within 90 days regardless of the return of mental health checks; and
• Prohibits health care providers from asking patients via written questionnaires about guns in the home, or from disclosing information verbally collected.
Contact the following Appropriations Committee chairs:

• Senior Chairman Rep. Nelson Dollar: 919-715-0795, [email protected]
• Chairman Linda Johnson: 919-733-5861, [email protected]
• Chairman Donny Lambeth: 919-733-5747, [email protected]
• Chairman Chuck McGrady: 919-733-5956, [email protected]

Contact Judiciary Chairman Leo Daughtry at 919-733-5605 and [email protected] and tell him to stop his efforts to defeat pro-gun legislation which will help lawful North Carolinians protect themselves and their families.

Contact YOUR NC House representative (A draft message is located at the link at the top - DMK). Find them HERE: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/represen...resentsMe.aspx
Old April 30, 2015, 03:23 PM   #6
bandaid1

Doyle, I see the Doctor/patient thing like this. If a Psych Doctor is contacting the police to inform them that one of their patients is a danger to society then my first question to that Head shrinker is why the hell did the he (the Doctor) just turn him/her loose on society instead of involuntary commitment? Because if the doctors assessment is that they are a threat, then that is the appropriate action IMO. Also, on the other side of the coin, why discharge them if they are still a threat?

We don't take their cars, cans of gasoline, or matches away from them when they are released from treatment. Right?

Doctors should not get involved in law enforcement matters for the most part. It's not what we are there for. It's not what we trained in or for. It's why we have medical staff lawyers and hospital security personnel.
Old April 30, 2015, 03:53 PM   #7
Doyle

Quote:
why the hell did the he (the Doctor) just turn him/her loose on society instead of involuntary commitment?
Because most mental health providers don't have the ability to involuntarily commit someone. Those that do can't just order them to be immediately locked up. It takes time and process. During that time, the person could be off on a psychotic rampage.

I'm not completely comfortable with doctors reporting either. However, I do feel like they at least shouldn't have their hands legally tied like this bill would do. I say let them report IF they have justifiable reason to believe the person is a harm to others.
Old April 30, 2015, 04:28 PM   #8
bandaid1

From Doyl: Because most mental health providers don't have the ability to involuntarily commit someone. Those that do can't just order them to be immediately locked up. It takes time and process. During that time, the person could be off on a psychotic rampage.

That's why they make Haldol.

But seriously, The problem with psych is that of all the medical departments its the closest to Voodoo medicine as it gets. If a Psych Doctor doesn't have admitting privileges then perhaps that should be a first priority. No? A Doctor without admitting privileges is pretty useless IMO. Ignoring the fact that some patients will need inpatient care is a huge negligence in prior planning.

From Doyl: I'm not completely comfortable with doctors reporting either. However, I do feel like they at least shouldn't have their hands legally tied like this bill would do. I say let them report IF they have justifiable reason to believe the person is a harm to others

That's fine, however, that's neither a efficient or effective law to say "let them do what they want". If a doctor's reports you and he is in error. Then what? What about the Doctor that doesn't report someone when he should? Then what? You see it opens up a can of worms. If patients find out that their doctor is reporting them to Law enforcement and they then stop seeing their doctor over fear of persecution, then what? The problem will not get any better. Heath care should not be involved in removing peoples constitutional rights, its not our roll.
Old April 30, 2015, 10:28 PM   #9
gc70

There were probably a couple of dozen separate pro-gun bills introduced in North Carolina this year, ranging from the sublime (constitutional carry) to the asinine (an uber concealed carry license, including an official badge ). Overall, the current omnibus bill is pretty good, but as they say, it's not over till its over.
Old May 1, 2015, 07:02 AM   #10
bandaid1

Yea, I read a little bit about that super-duper secret-squirrel shiny-badge concealed-carry thingy and wondered if anyone else thought it was just an attempt at revenue enhancement. Because other than that it didn't seem to serve any purpose. Than again, I think selling people a permit, of any type, to exercise a RIGHT is wrong.

Hooyah
Old June 5, 2015, 10:00 PM   #11
bandaid1

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ated-gun-bill/

Passed the House by the skin of our teeth. Rep Cleveland is pushing hard.
Old June 6, 2015, 01:41 AM   #12
gc70

A further watered-down substitute bill was approved by a House committee. The revised bill will go to the House floor on Monday, June 8.
Old June 9, 2015, 07:22 PM   #13
Snyper

It's my understanding they have put off voting on it due to opposition from Sheriffs (who get money for the purchase permits)