The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 16, 2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Venom1956

Filling in logo with paint?

I remember a how to that dealt with filling in a Glock logo with paint. Can anyone here point me in the right direction? I had it bookmarked but must've deleted it somehow. A friend had questions and I always wanted it on hand in case I decided to try it.

Thanks!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 16, 2013, 11:13 PM   #2
Creeper

It's pretty easy with a bit of practice and a light touch.
This is how I do it, and as there's more than one way to skin a cat... YMMV.
  • Make sure surface is completely oil free and dry.
  • Fill the rollmark with enamel. Don't try to do a long rollmark all at once... do it in sections if possible.
  • Remove the excess enamel around the rollmark with a acetone dampened Q-tip.
  • Put a small amount of acetone on a lint free, fine woven cloth or smooth paper towel (I use those blue Scott brand shop paper towels) wrapped around a straight edge (I use a 6" steel machinists ruler).
  • Use the edge of the towel/ruler combo and "scrape" off the excess paint. Use the towel edge for one pass only, then move to a clean section and repeat as necessary.
  • Go over the surface with fresh toweling and acetone as often as needed to remove all excess.

Too much acetone and it will "flood" out the rollmark. Too little and it will smear instead of remove the excess.
If the toweling is too course or fibery, it will dig paint from the rollmark.
If you screw it up, flood it, remove the enamel and start over.
Once done, allow to dry overnight.

Yellow enamel filled H&K P9S .45 Target.

Old January 17, 2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

When I had my gunshop I touched up all used gun traded in to me with Oxpho Blue and gold painted the stampings. This really dressed up the guns, got me a better price and they sold rapidly.
My products came from Brownell's. The touch-up and painting only took a few minutes.
It is not a permanent look, wears off quickly.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Venom1956

Creeper thanks for the tutorial. I dunno if I can work up the nerve to do that... I might test the waters using something less permanent like whiteout. :P

So when you say enamel do u nail polish or is ur a specialty sorta thing?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 18, 2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Creeper

Quote:
I dunno if I can work up the nerve to do that
Like I said, if you screw it up, just flood it out with acetone and start over. You sure as hell ain't gonna' hurt a Glock slide with acetone. Might as well "practice" on the real thing... you'll learn stuff real fast.

The only things that can make doing it more difficult are if the rollmarks are really shallow, or have been over-struck, which causes the metal edges of the rollmark to displace up above the flat surface. I don't think Glock has too many issues in those regards.

Quote:
So when you say enamel do u nail polish or is ur a specialty sorta thing?
On the last few guns I used Harley-Davidson touch-up paint (I'd imagine any automotive/motorcycle touch-up would work fine). I've also used model car/airplane enamel with good success... which is what you see on the H&K.

Not a clue on nail polish... but something tells me it's not designed to last.

C