The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 13, 2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Homerboy

Adding Sights to a Rem 870

I have an 870 Express tactical. Would like to add real sights to it, rather than the bead in the front. What's the easiest way to go about doing this? Could i have a picantinny rail installed on the top?
Old February 13, 2010, 01:06 PM   #2
zippy13

A popular conversion for the tacti-cool 870 Ex is a ghost ring sight set. Typically, the front sight is simply cemented over the existing bead; however, the rear requires drilling and tapping for a set screw. Click here
Old February 13, 2010, 02:35 PM   #3
MAX100

The easiest way to buy a rifle sight barrel. It's very costly to add ghost rings sights to a shotgun, starting at $200 and up. You would be better off to sell or keep your shotgun and buy a shotgun that comes with GRS.

The 870 Express Tactical Model 81198 for $450. XS ghost ring sights and rail mount, tapped for choke tubes, breacher choke, factory tube extension, black oxide finish and LE SpeedFeed forend. The best deal Remington has ever offered on a defense shotgun.

Mossberg 590 18.5" barrel GRS for $450

The best option is the Hawk 982 an 870 style shotgun with GRS for around $200. It's very durable and reliable. This shotgun is a heck of a deal and you can see why.

GC
Old February 13, 2010, 02:54 PM   #4
RoscoeC

You could always do what I did.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=381172

I was able to buy the barrel with the rifle sights already on it for less than I could buy and install the sights alone.

You can then re sell the barrel for a pretty good chunk of what you paid for the new one with the rifle sights.
NRA Life Member
Old February 13, 2010, 03:10 PM   #5
jmortimer

What MAX 100 said, You could buy this new shotgun with nice ghost ring sights for about the same price as the Remington barrel with the weenie non-GRS and it will probably be as good as your Remington 870 - possibly even better. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=156332463#PIC
They manufacture shotguns for Remington so in a way you are getting a Remington.

Last edited by jmortimer; February 13, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old February 13, 2010, 05:24 PM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
Would like to add real sights to it, rather than the bead in the front
You mean a simple bead and your own eyes for the rear aren't good enough for HD/room distances????
Old February 13, 2010, 06:20 PM   #7
popeyespappy

Or you could get the Trijicon tritium ghost ring setup for your 870 for two thirds of the cost of the Scattergun Technologies model here. I believe that Trijicon manufacturers the Scattergun product.
Old February 13, 2010, 07:17 PM   #8
Lee Lapin

In the Closeout section, the Remington Country Store had 18.5" rifle sight smoothbore barrels for $59. They had the Marine Magnum finish, but hey... for $60 you get a barrel AND sights.

If they have any left that is...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old February 14, 2010, 07:36 AM   #9
StuntManMike

Unfortunately they sold out of both a long time ago and never bothered to take them off the website.
Old February 14, 2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Lee Lapin

Yep, they seem to be out of stock now. But a few days ago when I checked the page, they still had some in stock. And a couple or three weeks ago, I had three of them delivered for the barrel box here.

Sorry for anyone who missed out- this was a good deal.

lpl
==================
http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com...37&topcat=1038

870 Barrel Assembly Comp 12GA 18" Cylinder Item No: REMG PRT2387
This item does not allow backorders, quantity requested is greater than the available inventory (0).

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old February 14, 2010, 02:56 PM   #11
LockedBreech

I have the same shotgun, and the bead seems fine to me, since shotguns are generally close-range weapons. Ghost rings seem really cool but I question the practicality.
Old February 14, 2010, 03:05 PM   #12
PetahW

My state's only deer season, besides archery, is shotgun-only - and I know of at least 20 guys, who've simply epoxied a set of $45 fiber-optic replacement sights for a muzzleloader (from Dick's Sporting Goods) to their barrels w/o any issues.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...080&hasJS=true

Some have even gone as far as cutting their 28" bird barrels back to 18"-20".

The guys with VR barrels use the clamp-on FO turkey sights from Tru-Glo.

Old February 16, 2010, 06:44 AM   #13
bamaranger

Keep looking.......

for a Rem bbl, matte finish, fixed choke, w/ rifle sights. The $150 Midway bbl seems like the right direction. These are not scare items, and after a bit, you should turn one up to suit.

+1 to rosces advice