The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 6, 2000, 12:08 PM   #1
Will Beararms

Any thoughts on the 105 Minimalist for concealed cary of a medium-sized auto?

Much Abliged------WB

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."
Old May 7, 2000, 02:00 AM   #2
dvc

You mean Bianchi, not Galco.

Old May 7, 2000, 08:51 AM   #3
jawper

Will Beararms,

Greetings. I own a Model 106 Minimalist. It is the same holster as the 105 but it mounts on the belt with snap loops instead of belt loops. Generally, it is perfectly well constructed and reasonably priced. I must say, however, that I do not find the design very appealing. I prefer designs which cover the muzzle of the weapon. The Minimalist invites wear and tear on the muzzle end of the pistol, esp. the front sight. More importantly, the elasticized retention strap basically blows. While offering no performance improvement over a traditional snap closed thumbreak, it is SIGNIFICANYTLY more difficult to engage and disengage. While there is nothing at all wrong with the construction of this holster, the design itself is responsible for this item finding its way to the bottom of my holster bin.

Hope it goes without saying that this is my individual opinion and YMMV.

Best of luck.

ps - I should point out that my traditional Shadow II (pancake three slot with thumbreak) is a very useful item. Given its relatively low price point in a world filled with Alessi and Rosen et al, it presents itself as the most attractive carry option more often than you might think.

------------------
Best,
- Jawper
Old May 8, 2000, 10:10 PM   #4
Will Beararms

Jawper:

Thanks, I think you have something with that Shadow and I agree that they can conceal more than one would be lead to believe due to their size.

I know Kydex is thin but I am not in love with it either and I can tell you from working with industries that use plastic, they are making a Killing selling them at $60.00 a pop.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."