The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 21, 2002, 04:25 PM   #1
Legionnaire

Blooded my Encore

Well, finally blooded my .243 Encore pistol. I'm hunting a farm in Central NY. Hunted hard during archery season. Saw lots of deer, a couple of nice bucks, and more coyotes than any season previously. Only deer that came in bow range, though, was a button buck that I let go; he'll be bigger next year.

Anyway, started the regular gun season with my regular buck tag and a deer management permit (DMP=altlerless permit, for you non-NYers). This is shotgun or handgun only territory, and since my newly-turned-sixteen year old son is using my slug gun, I decided to go with the Encore. Opening day was cold and windy, but we were on stand before sun up. Around 8:00am I observed three antlerless deer moving my direction; looked like a mature doe and two yearlings. Along their route they picked up what appeared to be a button buck. After closing within 60 yards, they turned and worked across my field of view from right to left. As they entered a clear spot, I drew down on the biggest there. One shot took out both lungs. She piled up after 80 yards.

I didn't get her weight, but when I dropped her off at the processor, several made comments on her size, and she was clearly bigger than the majority of bucks there. So I'm pleased. Now to get one of them there bucks!
Old November 21, 2002, 07:21 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Old November 22, 2002, 12:54 AM   #3
gordo b.

I always thought .243 would make a nice pistol round as the reduced velocities should make for controlled expansion. Congratulations!
Old November 22, 2002, 09:40 PM   #4
Legionnaire

From the size of the exit wound, I'm guessing the 100 gr. Core Lokt soft point expanded well ... but I didn't recover the bullet, so don't know for sure. Did the job, though.
Old November 23, 2002, 11:46 PM   #5
Poodleshooter

And you didn't even need a fancy premium bullet-Amazing!
Good work!
Old November 24, 2002, 03:57 PM   #6
Peetmoss

Congrates Legioniere. I can't wait to try hunting with a pistol in CNY. To bad I will have to wait till next season to do it though