The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 4, 2018, 05:18 PM   #1
wnycollector

Star BM mag availability

I recently picked up a Star BM 9mm. I love the pistol. It fits my hand like a glove. Its accurate, reliable and inexpensive. Mine only came with a single mag. I'm looking to pickup two spare mags. Every distributor I can find online is out of stock. The secondary market of Gunbroker and EBay has them for $40 + shipping
I can't justify spending $85 on two mags for a gun that cost me $199! I'm scowering gun shows for some but no luck thus far.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old October 4, 2018, 05:33 PM   #2
RickB

Did you try Numrich and SARCO?
Old October 4, 2018, 05:48 PM   #3
wnycollector

Yep. Sarco out of stock, Numrich $48.65/mag plus shipping.
Old October 4, 2018, 06:03 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Why? You got a $400 gun for $200.
Suck it up and buy the magazines.
Old October 4, 2018, 06:57 PM   #5
Ibmikey

I too love the Star BM, have eight or ten of them myself, I purchased extra magazines when I could afford them $40 bucks is about average for any quality pistol magazine these days. Personally I rarely have need for more than the mag in the pistol when it is empty I stop and reload it. If the weapon is for carry purposes an additional mag would be convenient however after carrying for fifty plus years I never had need for a second magazine. I think the price of the pistol is irrelevant if you need back up mags “suck it up and buy the magazine”.
Old October 4, 2018, 07:34 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnycollector View Post
I recently picked up a Star BM 9mm. I love the pistol. It fits my hand like a glove. Its accurate, reliable and inexpensive. Mine only came with a single mag. I'm looking to pickup two spare mags. Every distributor I can find online is out of stock. The secondary market of Gunbroker and EBay has them for $40 + shipping
I can't justify spending $85 on two mags for a gun that cost me $199! I'm scowering gun shows for some but no luck thus far.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I picked up a Star M-43 a few years ago. When I went to find extra magazines, $40 was the going rate.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 4, 2018, 07:44 PM   #7
wnycollector

I bit the proverbial bullet and put a bid in on mag. Thanks for the reality check gents.
Old October 5, 2018, 04:32 AM   #8
Ibmikey

Wnycollector, I think you will find two magazines will suit your needs quite satisfactorily short of an encounter such as those in the motion picture industry where a five round tube on a shotgun will hold 23 shells......and 22 of them miss the target.
Old October 5, 2018, 04:49 AM   #9
wnycollector

Lbmikey, the Star is not a carry gun for me, just a range gun. I just like to have a spare mag for the spare mag. Kind of like the belt and suspenders thing
Old October 5, 2018, 11:06 AM   #10
RickB

Quote:
I picked up a Star M-43 a few years ago. When I went to find extra magazines, $40 was the going rate.
I used to have a couple of Star PDs, and the mags were $40, twenty years ago.
Old October 5, 2018, 02:28 PM   #11
TunnelRat

I've learned the hard way a few times now that when these surplus pistols come in waves that buying a bunch of mags is a good idea. I did so when I bought my Star BM and then when I bought my Makarov.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old October 5, 2018, 07:59 PM   #12
KyJim

I have ordered a couple of used mags off Ebay. I also found some on Triple-K's website, both used OEM and newly-manufactured Triple-K mags. Prices on the used mags at both sites were about $38 per mag but with free shipping from the Ebay web store.

As to the new Triple-K mags --- I've never used any but Triple-K seem to have a good reputation.

Aim Surplus had mags at $20 per mag, but you had to buy a $200+ pistol too. That would be a case of the tail wagging the dog.
Old October 6, 2018, 09:24 AM   #13
tallball

$40 is pretty much what they cost.

The BM was a good purchase! Mine is excellent.
Old October 7, 2018, 05:09 AM   #14
Ibmikey

Kyjim, Triple K magazines are a crap shoot——lay your money down and hope you will get something serviceable. I have had Triple K mags that were not dimensionally correct and would not fit the mag well, fixed floorplate mag that blew the floorplate, spring, ammo et all out the bottom, and various other problems. I also have a couple of their mags that work fine.
Ask on any forum and you will hear plenty of good and bad on Triple k.
Star OEM mags rave available and well worth buying over aftermarket
Old October 8, 2018, 01:04 PM   #15
KyJim

Ibmikey--

Thanks for the info. I had already ordered a couple of the Star OEM mags. I view the BM simply as a plinker and would normally prefer an OEM mag just for the sake of authenticity.
Old October 9, 2018, 02:33 PM   #16
gwpercle

I purchased a Triple K magazine for my Star model PS , it's a 45 acp but they will not take Colt magazines. It has always worked and the price was reasonable so no complaints on Triple K mags. If they have them give them a try. Star magazines are not that common .
Gary
Old October 9, 2018, 03:41 PM   #17
Ibmikey

Gwpercle, I guess we both struck gold with Model P magazines from Triple K, my spare came from them and so far has not had a problem with functioning...like I said before some work some don’t.
Old October 9, 2018, 04:16 PM   #18
JERRYS.

in the 80s I had a star PD and BM. they were very good guns from the limited and short time I had them. today I hear that the bigger issues are firing pin breakage and parts replacements are near impossible to find.....
Old October 9, 2018, 06:09 PM   #19
JN01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
in the 80s I had a star PD and BM. they were very good guns from the limited and short time I had them. today I hear that the bigger issues are firing pin breakage and parts replacements are near impossible to find.....
You can get new firing pins (and other parts) right here: https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopi...ks-9m-m-pistol
Old October 10, 2018, 12:37 AM   #20
Bill DeShivs

I also make Star firing pins.
Old October 10, 2018, 07:01 AM   #21
wnycollector

Just a follow-up. I ended up winning two auctions for Star BM factory mags. I paid a grand total of $68 for both. Thanks again for push!
Old October 10, 2018, 07:20 AM   #22
RUT

I'm glad I stocked up when I did!
Old October 10, 2018, 01:29 PM   #23
JN01

Dang it, wnycollector, your thread cost me some money. You piqued my interest, so I ran up to AIM Surplus to look at their Star BMs.

They pulled out a select grade- no holster wear, a tiny ding on the rear of the slide and a couple small dings on the stocks. Barely any scratches on the barrel hood, and the finish is still on the slide rails, so I don't think it has had more than a few rounds through it. Only $229.

Now I have to find some of those expensive magazines.

Thanks.
Old October 10, 2018, 06:23 PM   #24
wnycollector

Sorry JN01!!!! It sounds you got a pretty one though. Here is a link to a pair of mags on gunbroker for $65+ shipping.
Old October 10, 2018, 08:41 PM   #25
JN01

Thanks for the tip.