The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 2018, 02:39 PM   #26
RC20

You can make lead hard and brittle, or you can make it hard and resilient.

Metal is metal though steel of course works in higher temp range and you can do within with it you can't do with lead.

How you cool it (how fast or slow ) can have affects as well.
Old August 29, 2018, 09:07 PM   #27
Dufus

Quote:
How you cool it (how fast or slow ) can have affects as well.
True, but only if it is the correct alloy to begin with.
Old September 1, 2018, 08:40 AM   #28
Road_Clam

I shoot a lot of cast. Everything from 900 fps subsonics up to 1700 fps from my 460 XVR handgun. No gas checks required <1400 fps. Once I get above 1100 fps I use poly "wads" that sit against the base of the bullet. The wads protect the base of the bullet from becoming "gas cutted" Gas cutting is when the hot gasses melt and distort the base causing accuracy issues or barrel leading. Gas checks are the best method of maintaining bullet base integrity from higher velocities. At some point after I gain some more experience I plan on casting and shooting "hard" cast for my 8mm Mauser and those will be up around 2000 fps, which obviously will require a gas check.
Old September 1, 2018, 10:05 AM   #29
J.G. Terry

For hardening an alloy study on water quenching bullets.
Old September 1, 2018, 11:26 AM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

The P-wads Road Clam mentioned were another of the late Roger Johnston's contributions (NECO), AFAIK. At least, NECO was the first to offer them commercially and tools to start them into case necks ahead of bullets. I always cut my own from 0.060" LDPE sheet material with punches I made. They are effective because they are soft enough to bump up even at pressures too low to upset a lead bullet, so they seal well and they tend to lubricate the bore.

I just realized I never move this to the casting forum. Doing it now.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 1, 2018, 05:00 PM   #31
Wendyj

I cast a 390 grain bullet for my 1895 Marlin. Biggest cause of leading is not velocity but the bullet being a correct fit for the barrel. Mine slugs out .458.2. My mold cast a.461 bullet that I size to .459. Around 1100-1200 fps I don't need the gas check but I'm running around 1500 fps and prefer the gas check in either situation to prevent blow by of gasses. I get practically no leading. After 50-60 rounds at the range a bore snake with a little clp ran through about 3 times and it's clean. 45-70 a very old cartridge that is here to stay. I do water quench mine and the ones I have air cooled are around 18 BHN verses the water quenched being around 23-24 BHN.
Old September 3, 2018, 06:03 AM   #32
Howland

I worked up a 300 grain SWC load in .44 Magnum When I added gas checks, the reduction in lead left in the grooves dropped substantially but I had to drop the charge by .3 grains to refind my tightest group size. If I ever go back to .44 Magnum, I'm going back to gas checks.
Old September 3, 2018, 01:27 PM   #33
Wendyj

Howland, I'm with you. I shot some 285 grain out of my henry and a gas check made all the difference with leading. I'm water quenching and pushing the 285 around 1700 fps with full house load of h110. Hope to get a deer this year with it.