The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 19, 2018, 08:03 AM   #26
jmorris

This is the best method, I was talking about in #3, that I use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La83ZVKnBzw

100 cases swaged in under 3 min, with the side benefit of also loading 100 rounds at the same time.

No matter how slow you operate the machine you still cut the work in half because you are performing steps concurrently vs, consecutively.
Old October 19, 2018, 10:56 AM   #27
mikld

FWIW; have "de-crimped" about 900 HXP cases for my Garand (30-06 Greek surplus military ammo). Each one had 3 small stakes around the primer pocket. I normally use clean and not necessarily super sharp countersinks (often a carbide tool) and I've done them all just like NATO/LC brass and no problems/grabbing...

For me, removing primer crimps isn't part of a reloading session. Mainly it's "busy work". Since I have waaaay more time to reload than to shoot, I'll do some things around my shop to keep me busy "reloading", like processing brass; tumbling and sorting brass and removing primer crimps, so I have never been in a hurry and counting seconds or rounds per hour. I pick up a case, touch it to a countersink/chamfer tool and drop it in a container; 1 second?

Last edited by mikld; October 19, 2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old October 19, 2018, 04:41 PM   #28
hdwhit

I've tried all manner of tools, but always gravitate back to a countersink as described by mikld in Post #10.
Old October 20, 2018, 09:47 AM   #29
arlaunch

I use the RCBS bench mounted swage tool. The more i use it the more i like it. I bought it back in 2014 or so.

The handle is comfortable. Once can remove about 11-13 crimps a minute when in the routine.

It seems expensive at first. Years later though... Not so much.