The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2018, 03:51 PM   #26
G.O. West

Duplicated post

Last edited by G.O. West; January 6, 2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Oops!
Old January 6, 2018, 04:05 PM   #27
G.O. West

The tongs are a Meniscal Clamp used in surgery that some doctor tossed out. I cut off the locking device and drilled a small hole in each end. I filed a finishing nail to fit into the hole but not pass through. Then I sharpened the points. If I am careful when picking up the bullet, after baking it there is no mark visible in the powder coat.
Old January 27, 2018, 09:54 AM   #28
gwpercle

Don't grab and use your wife's favorite baking sheet / baking pan thinking you will clean it , put it back and she will never know....Go buy your own right now...they KNOW !
Old January 27, 2018, 11:24 AM   #29
Chainsaw.

Just a side note. I purchased some powfer from Smoke over on cast boolits, also ho some pony beads from Michaels craft shop, holy cow, great results!
Old January 27, 2018, 09:46 PM   #30
res45

Quote:
Just a side note. I purchased some powder from Smoke over on cast boolits, also ho some pony beads from Michaels craft shop, holy cow, great results!
Let's see some pics! glad you got good results using the beads. I coated about 300 pistol bullets today with Smokes clear gloss and only used 1 Teaspoon of powder to coat them all.

It was a bit more humid than I like out in the shop, but I was bored and I wanted to check the temp on my oven with a thermometer I recently got. Turns out the thermostat has a hard time keeping the temp constant, no real wild swings but more than I like. It was a freebee anyways, so I tossed it and got my $5 oven out I got from Goodwill, adjusted it and it held a contestant temp for an hour long test. So I set my timer for 20 min. and cured three batches of 100 bullets in a little over and hour using two trays.

I'm really liking the clear gloss, it gives excellent coverage tumbling and flows great when cured.

Last edited by res45; January 27, 2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old January 28, 2018, 11:53 AM   #31
Chainsaw.

Unfortunately I am one of those who can not get pics to work on this sight, otherwise I'd have bunches up.