The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2011, 05:53 PM   #26
Dan44149

I hear what your saying, was just trying to eliminate another variable... and yes I am OCD with some things.
NRA Life-Member
Old December 8, 2011, 06:08 PM   #27
Arizona Smithshooter

Just goes to show these Forums can generate a wealth of valuable information

I am unpacking a new Hornady LNL AP press just like Dan's, so if I have any problems I am sure I can get lots of answers here. First I will read the instructions, watch the DVD and then go for it.

By the way, I have used the "Weigh the Brass" method for years without a problem when loading for maximum accuracy. I first Zero the scale with the cartridge on the scale, load the powder a touch on the light side and trickle the powder until I reach exactly the load I am looking for. I only do that for 50 rounds or so because it is extremely time consuming, but it does result in same hole hits time and time again.
Old December 8, 2011, 06:13 PM   #28
Dan44149

Forums are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have one for my weapons/ammo/reloading, one for my truck, one for fishing, and one for my ATV...
NRA Life-Member
Old December 8, 2011, 07:03 PM   #29
serf 'rett

My thoughts on loading for pistol. For finding an accurate load, I assemble a series of rounds for the min to max range I’m considering, using the same head stamp, primer and brass. For slower powder, such as Power Pistol, I’ll start with the minimum I selected and load 7 to 10 rounds, then load the next step with 0.2 grains more and so forth until I hit the maximum I have selected. I want these testing charges to be spot on; which means I’m doing the trickle thing for each and every round. With a faster powder, such as VV-N320, the steps might be only 0.1 grains per step.

Then the fun starts – testing! As I prop on the sandbags, it’s fascinating to watch groups come together and spread apart as the series is tested. I take careful notes, because my CRS kicks in often. Targets are analyzed. Once this has been done, then I can often see what works, what doesn’t and importantly what difference there is between the steps. That difference between steps helps me to get an idea just how accurate my powder drops need to be for a particular combination.

The best groups are used to determine what combination I load for final testing. If the final testing confirms that the magic combination has been found, then the universe comes into harmony and life becomes wonderful

until a new primer, powder, bullet, case, caliber, etc., etc. disturbs the universal balance and the process begins again…
Old December 8, 2011, 07:19 PM   #30
Dan44149

That's exactly what I've been doing.
NRA Life-Member
Old December 8, 2011, 09:14 PM   #31
engineermike

Yep, that damn universal balance...
Old December 8, 2011, 09:22 PM   #32
dunerjeff

If you want to see variables,load up 20 rounds with something that shoots ok in your gun.Now shoot a group when the temp outside is 85deg.,then wait till its 35deg and shoot the rest at the same target.With a chrono ,some powders can change by 75 to 100fps.
Old December 8, 2011, 09:33 PM   #33
Sefner

Have you cleaned your powder measure with a dry lube (Hornady's OneShot works)? If you don't clean it before use the oil they use to prevent rust in packaging will cause powder to cling and do weird things. Need to clean the tube, both rotors, both meters, and all the inserts and the die. Also rub it with a drier sheet to break down any static buildup.
Old December 11, 2011, 09:02 AM   #34
Arizona Smithshooter

I finished setting up my Hornady LNL yesterday. I spent considerable time cleaning the powder measure per the instructions on the DVD. When finished I installed the baffle, set it for 22 grains of Reloader 10X, and did about 50 measurements with weighed cases. They were all between 21.8 and 22 grains...perfect! This morning I plan to load 100 rounds of .223 and shoot them this afternoon.
Old December 11, 2011, 10:15 AM   #35
Crunchy Frog

I cleaned my LNL powder measure very well before putting it into use and it threw consistent charges with Clays powder (I've since used Universal Clays for some midrange loads and it metered it fine as well).

There was a period where it suddenly started acting up. I use an RCBS Lockout Die which detects low or high powder levels (bless its little heart) so I knew something was wrong. It also felt different as the press cycled. I emptied the measure, disassembled it and cleaned it again. I put it back together and it was working fine. All I can think of was that it developed a little clog or clump.

Did I mention that I really like the RCBS Lockout Die?
Old December 11, 2011, 05:51 PM   #36
dunerjeff

I make a electronic poder cops that a loud buzzer goes off if the charge is out of spec.A check die is a great backup tool,that can make sure you don't miss something.
Old December 12, 2011, 04:49 AM   #37
HiBC

Seems like I remember something about putting the bushing that has the tapers that the powder funnels through in upside down.I got charge variation and bridging.You might check.

Oh,and the gentleman who mentioned you might need to switch to the handgun/smaller capacity metering rotor is probably right.