The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 14, 2018, 08:58 AM   #1
Reddragon504

Ruger LCR .357 for Home Defense

Good morning all,
Looking at the Ruger LCR .357 for home protection. Any feedback is welcomed.
Old February 14, 2018, 09:06 AM   #2
9ballbilly

Hard to beat a .357, but if you're not concealed carrying it why choose a gun intended for that purpose?

For a strictly HD gun a 4" GP-100 is a better option IMO.
Old February 14, 2018, 09:09 AM   #3
OldMarksman
Staff

Look for lower sound pressure.
Old February 14, 2018, 09:13 AM   #4
Reddragon504

I do intend to use as concealed and carry as well.
Old February 14, 2018, 10:09 AM   #5
Northof50

Before you seriously consider a 357 in such a light [but wonderful] firearm, shoot it. It's not going to be a gun you'll be practicing with a great deal, as the discomfort from the recoil and muzzle blast will be far more intense than need be.

In my opinion, there are better options for both for CCW and/or home defense. The smaller the firearm, the more training you'll need to master it.
Old February 14, 2018, 10:15 AM   #6
Charlie98

If you are limited to a single firearm, it's as good as any.... but Nof50 is right. A .357 wouldn't be my first choice for the house (I have neighbors, and a kid upstairs.) YMMV

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old February 14, 2018, 10:21 AM   #7
Reddragon504

I was intending to purchase the .357 for its weight and loading with .38 ammo
Old February 14, 2018, 10:24 AM   #8
USSR

Quote:
Smart move. Highly recommend the .38 Special +P load known as "the FBI Load".

Don
Old February 14, 2018, 10:50 AM   #9
Reddragon504

Thank you everyone for your input. Stay safe and God Bless!!!
Old February 14, 2018, 11:17 AM   #10
tallball

My friend has the 357 version. It is nbd at all to shoot with 38sp, and not bad with 357's. I bought the 38sp version. It has an aluminum frame instead of steel and is four ounces lighter. I couldn't shoot it well until I put larger grips on it.

For HD I much prefer a larger steel 4" revolver. For CC the LCR is my favorite.
Old February 14, 2018, 10:34 PM   #11
MINSH101

I have a 4" GP100 for home defense and 2.25" SP101 for cc. I would like to get the LCR also in .357 as we near the warmer seasons. In the LCR I would load with 38's as well.

In terms of the caliber, there aren't too many rounds better than .357, in my opinion. 38 is also an adequate round to defend yourself with. For those that disagree, ask them if they'd like to catch one center mass from a distance of seven yards? If their answer is no, then it's a suitable defensive round. If they say yes you should question their ability to make logical decisions to begin with.
Old February 14, 2018, 10:38 PM   #12
Dufus

The only comment that I can offer is a 357 Mag discharged in confined quarters is so loud that it will deafen you for a while and when dark, the flash will blind you for a few moments.
Old February 14, 2018, 11:08 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Then just get the 38 Special model that is 4 ounces lighter. Not at all bad to shoot with light target loads. A bit more snap with +P self defense loads. But at the price of good SD ammo you probably won't be shooting much of it anyway.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 14, 2018, 11:11 PM   #14
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
The only comment that I can offer is a 357 Mag discharged in confined quarters is so loud that it will deafen you for a while and when dark, the flash will blind you for a few moments.
Do not discount permanent noise-induced hearing loss.
Old February 14, 2018, 11:18 PM   #15
Dufus

Quote:
Do not discount permanent noise-induced hearing loss.
Absolutely, OldMarksman.....I have that too.
Old February 14, 2018, 11:35 PM   #16
reddog81

It'd make a good carry gun. For home defense you might as well use something larger and easier to shoot.
Old February 15, 2018, 12:02 AM   #17
BigJimP

I think there is too much "talk" when it comes to picking a carry gun & focusing on weight. Plus or minus 8oz to a pound...is not that big a deal, with a good belt and a good holster designed to fit that model of gun. I think weight is over analyzed and over hyped in gun marketing - and in light guns in .357 mag - you might end up with something you really don't like..../ looking at a steel gun in a 2 1/2" or a 4" ...doesn't weigh much more and is a much better choice in most cases.

Before you buy...go to a range and shoot as many revolvers as you can in .357 mag - from snubbies to 4" barrels.

A S&W model 627, 8 shot, N frame, in a 2 5/8" barrel...is easy to shoot and is certainly a solid carry gun in my view - and easy to carry in a good horsehide Kramer IWB holster for me, if I want to carry a revolver instead of one of my 1911's.

I've fired the LCR's ....they're too small to fit my hands ...unpleasant to shoot in .357 mag, especially in rapid fire ...making their effectiveness in my hands poor at best vs heavier and slightly longer barrels...and slightly larger frames...that I find much more effective and way easier, and more pleasant, to shoot with a couple of boxes of .357 mag in running drills.

Last edited by BigJimP; February 15, 2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old February 15, 2018, 12:15 AM   #18
Cirdan

You didn't say anything about barrel length. In a snubbie, that 357 is going to waste a lot of powder.

I had a LCR and absolutely hated it. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (OK, not really). Traded it in for an SP101 and couldn't be happier (and accurate). The SP101 is a lot heavier but it shoots fantastic.
Old February 15, 2018, 12:26 AM   #19
SonOfScubaDiver

The LC in LCR should stand for learning curve--that much is true. It took a few trips to the range, but I'm happy with the groupings I get with it. It's one of those "it is what it is" type of guns. It's designed for very good concealability and up close self defense. I wouldn't get the 357 version and shoot 357 through it though! lol
Old February 15, 2018, 02:11 AM   #20
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...a 357 Mag discharged in confined quarters is so loud that it will deafen you for a while...
I wish it were only for awhile. I was totally deaf for maybe 20-30 seconds and then was really badly hearing impaired for quite awhile longer. It did improve, but my left ear never got back to normal even after years.

That was one shot of full power .357Mag without hearing protection in a confined area.

I never heard the shot. Auditory exclusion is real, but it doesn't do a thing to protect your hearing.
Old February 15, 2018, 09:03 AM   #21
Cosmodragoon

Yes, noise is a real factor for inside-the-home defense. An idea I like is that a gun should fit its purpose. Inside the home, you don't need concealment as much as you do maneuverability and you can count on shooting indoors (ouch!). Ideally, you'd have a full-sized and suppressed high-capacity pistol or pistol-caliber carbine. Failing suppression, some electronic muffs stored next to your gun isn't a bad idea. You might not have time to grab them but if you do, you'll be glad in any caliber. Failing that, I still like higher capacity in say, a 9mm pistol or carbine. Failing that, a 6-7 round revolver with a 4-6" barrel would be ideal. Both .38 special and .32 H&R magnum can shine here (including when fired from revolvers in .357 and .327 respectively). There was a recent discussion about .32 S&W Long being quieter than the other choices mentioned and still vastly superior to .22 LR. The S&W Long can be fired from a .327 revolver as well.

Of course, we are checking down a list of ideals constrained by reality. The fact is that not everyone will have (or will immediately have) a dedicated gun for every purpose or scenario. Eventually, you might have multiple options and different CCWs for weather and wardrobe, urban vs rural, etc... If that day isn't today or this is a first purchases, you may want to prioritize a balance of home defense and range practice (including "plinking" and fun) for now. If it absolutely has to be a carry gun as well, you might compromise on a 3" revolver or the largest polymer-framed 9mm semi-auto that you can practically carry.
Old February 15, 2018, 10:00 AM   #22
Laz

If I understand Reddragon504 correctly, he wants the revolver to serve double duty as a home defense and a carry gun. That implies he does not have a large inventory of handguns to choose from. It might also imply less than a vast experience with handguns. If those suppositions are true, I think an LCR357 is a fine choice. It has a simple manual of arms and a good trigger. The steel Sub-frame adds a bit of weight to dampen recoil and definitely adds durability over the long term. A .357 chambering adds a bit of versatility since there are some very good medium to lower velocity and lighter recoiling .357 offerings from several makers in addition to the many good .38 Special offerings. The gun is small and light enough for easy carry and powerful enough to do the job in or out of the home. If he is like many of us, somewhere down the road he will purchase another handgun that might better serve his home defense needs but I think the LCR357 is a fine start.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old February 15, 2018, 01:31 PM   #23
FAS1

My son has this Airweight. The Ergogrip made a difference according to his wife on felt recoil. After shooting it myself it seems to point well, but man it looks funky.

Old February 15, 2018, 01:56 PM   #24
SIGSHR

Iron Rule is that you practice with it and get totally familiar with it so when the need arises you can react quickly.
For home use I would prefer something larger and heavier. And I think a .357 is wasted in less than a 4" barrel. Skeeter Skelton wrote that he was initially enamored of the 2.5" S&W M-19 but found the muzzle blast and flash objectionable. the terminal ballistics not that great.
Old February 15, 2018, 02:09 PM   #25
USSR

Quote:
Skeeter Skelton wrote that he was initially enamored of the 2.5" S&W M-19 but found the muzzle blast and flash objectionable. the terminal ballistics not that great.
That's why I recommended the FBI Load in a previous post. I've got 3 of those 2.5" gems, and a soft 158gr SWCHP at +P velocity does a heckova job.

Don

Don