The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2008, 07:02 PM   #1
CowTowner

Starting load for 200 Grain LRNF .45 ACP

Looking for starting loads. I have 500 "black bullets" to load up and haven't seen too much for the LRNF. Lots for the LSWC out there and in the manuals.
So, looking for the voices of experience once again.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 17, 2008, 08:53 PM   #2
cdrt

If by "black" you mean moly coat and if LRNF means Lead Round Nose Flat point, try 3.5 to 4.0 grains of Bullseye.

If you meant something else, I'm sure someone has the answer out there.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old March 18, 2008, 05:12 AM   #3
CowTowner

They came from www.precisionbullets.com and moly would be what I would call them. They don't use that term anywhere on the site I can see. And yes again, LRNF means Lead Round Nose Flat.
Thanks for the info. Looking for more ideas if there are any.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 18, 2008, 06:11 AM   #4
ShootingNut

CT

The Moly coating kind of throws me, as I'm not familiar with it. My thought is,
you should be O.K. using a start load for a listed lead bullet. As you may know, they usually say if using FMJ load data, take off 10% of the charge listed to start when loading casted lead. So if your Moly is treated the same as a FMJ bullet, then using the listed lead start load should be fine.
For my 200 gr Lead .45 RNFP I use 7.8 - 8.0 grains of Accurate #5. This is in the start range, max load is 8.7 so your not pushing towards too hot.
Accurate already takes into account the approx. 10% less load than a FMJ, in their printed data.
Regards,
SN
Old March 18, 2008, 06:29 AM   #5
cdrt

I've loaded both moly and regular cast bullets with the same data. No change required. Just use the data in your manual for regular lead.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old March 18, 2008, 11:52 AM   #6
snuffy

The shape of the nose has nothing to do with how it is loaded, as far as powder charge goes. Use lead data for ANY lead boolit, you will be okay.

200 GR. CAST LSWC Winchester 231 .451" 1.225" 4.4 771 11,000 CUP 5.6 914 16,900 CUP

200 GR. CAST LSWC Hodgdon Titegroup .451" 1.225" 4.8 877 13,400 CUP 5.4 957 16,800 CUP

200 GR. CAST LSWC IMR Trail Boss .451" 1.225" 3.5 652 9,200 CUP 5.5 816 16,100 CUP

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 18, 2008, 01:45 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Pressure levels with different shapes in the short .45 ACP case depend on how deeply the bullet base goes into the case. With the 200 grain round nose, I presume you will be seating out at about 1.270" like a full length bullet. That leaves you more space than hardball has. That means you can load a hardball charge of 5.0 grains of Bullseye, if you want to? I have shot a ton of lead (well, OK, maybe not a ton, but probably about 30,000 rounds) of 200 grian lead over 4.7 grains of Bullseye, and that cycles the hardball guns just fine. A tuned target gun should probably not get over 4.2 grains, just to keep it from battering the frame excessively with the slide.

If they are not bragging about having coated your bullets with moly, it is probably a graphite lube. A number of those have been around for a long time. Shouldn't matter. The main effect I see from moly in a 1911 is that after a few thousand rounds that black dust is everywhere, under grip panels, all over your trigger finger, hiding in the firing pin tunnel, etcetera. You get a dry lube job on your whole gun, whether you intended to or not. Regular bullet lubes are cleaner.

If clean matters, try the loads of Trail Boss mentioned by Snuffy, above. It is harder to meter than some powders, but is about the cleanest stuff I've ever shot. They add a little saltpeter to it to oxidize the carbon left by the smokeless portion. Works really well.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle