The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 29, 2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Reef

Which Scope to keep?

I recently found a deal on a Weatherby 30-378 Accumark that I couldn't pass on. The gun came with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x50 scope with Leupold rings. I bought this gun to replace my Ruger M77 338 Win Mag that has a Leupold Vari-x-iii4.5x14x40 that I really like. I have no experience with Zeiss but told it is a good scope. The thing I like about Leupold is I can have a custom dial for the round I'm shooting, the altitude and temperature so I can range the target, and dial in the yardage and then hold on. Not sure Zeiss has that option. So, my question is, keep the Zeiss or replace with the Leupold?
Old May 2, 2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Major Dave (retired)

Sell both scopes...

and use the money to buy the newest Leupold - VX-3.

Your Vari-X III is obsolete, in that Leupold upgraded the lens coatings (Multi-coat 4) when they brought out the "VX-III' line. Then, in 2010, the "VX" line was further upgraded (as well as replacing nitrogen gas with a krypton/argon mix: abrasion resistant objective and ocular lens coatings, "Xtended twilight" lens systen, etc.) and renamed "VX-3"

To sum up: VX-3 = newest, brightest, most durable
VX-III= one generation out of date
VARI-X III= two generations out of date.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); May 2, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:54 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

IMO, used scopes aren't worth enough to sell, so I would keep it no matter what. THey are too fragile and no one wants to buy them used. At some point you will probably want to put it on something.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:19 PM   #4
gunsmokeTPF

Keep them both, cause they're great scopes by any standard. I have a 270 G&H with a 2.5x Lyman Alaskan as well as a custom mauser 375 H&H with the same scope. They're both over 60 years old like me, but work better. Newer doesn't necessarily mean any greater advantage. If something ain't broke please don't fix it.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:21 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Reef. Your Leupold works for you and you know how ot works. Your Zeiss is also good, but it's unknown to you. Keep what works for you

Gunsmoke. I also have a old Lyman Alaskan 2.5. Mine is fitted on a Springfield and being on a Griffin & Howe mount, comes off easily so that a Lyman rear aperture can be slipped on.
Old May 3, 2012, 01:22 AM   #6
gunsmokeTPF

4V50Gary, Those Lymans can't be given enough credit. It's funny that the Griffin & Howe mauser was put together for my uncle during a 3 year period and for some reason he selected the Pachmeyer side swing mount, cause it was low profile and I guess cheaper. Fotunately he also got the 1" tube conversion for a larger scope as opposed to that 7/8 tube. But usually G&H mounts are found on G&H's. Have to say I have no complaint where that mount is concerned, cause the scope comes off and when put back on it's like it never left home.

Twenty five years ago up in the Catskills while hunting deer with it some know it all said that scope didn't have a wide enough field of view and I'll never hit anything. I took a spike while on the run from around 50, or 60 yards. He seen it and ate it that night. Guess it worked OK.

The other german custom mauser in 375 H&H was a 416 Rigby converted by G&H and has a beautiful early G&H engraved mount on it with the Lyman. With the spoon bolt and double set triggers it's beautiful. I always wanted it for bear but it never worked out. They knew I had that rifle waiting for them.

I've seen many Springfields like yours and they're all beauties. As a matter of fact were always highly in demand. What you have is gold. Youngsters can't appreciate the old craftsmanship of the past. My uncle used to set that 270 rifle on my lap when I was five and I was hooked.

It's times like these that I wish I could take a few pictures and post them.
Old May 3, 2012, 08:10 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Gunsmoke. Young kids don't appreciate beauty like we do. While I don't have documentation other than DCM paperwork, but I believe Springfield Armory Sporterized my Springfield. Hence the G&H with the Alaskan. It probably came off an 03A4. The Alaskan was an approved alternate to that miserable Weaver 330. The original purchaser was a major stationed there and he bought it for $15, the price for a non standard gun (rating given to defective piece). The defect? The front sight was left loose. It reeks of collusion. I got paperwork from Springfield confirming what his daughter (the seller) told me about him being based out there at Springfield Armory.

The other neat thing is that the gun looks just like the 22 caliber M-2 Springfield that I have. The latter though is not and will never be fitted for a scope.
Old May 3, 2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Major Dave (retired)

I strongly disagree with these statements

from post #3...
"...used scopes aren't worth enough to sell...

"...they are too fragile.."

"...no one wants to buy them used..."

About 2 years ago I bought a used Leupold Vari-X III, 3.5-10X, AO for $250, and while I was at the sellers house, looking at the scope, his phone kept ringing non-stop from other interested buyers calling in on the ad he placed in the paper. When I left with the scope, he was still telling callers he had already sold it. His ad came out on a Thursday morning, and I bought it before 2 PM.

What's with this "fragile" thing? The last thing any good scope is is "fragile". Not a Leupold, or a Zeiss, either.

If a person wants a quality scope, but can't go the price of a new one, then paying half price for a used one is a step in the right direction, and may be the only option for many. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

I still say sell both scopes, raising about $500 dollars in the process, and chip in a small amount on top, to buy a new Leupold VX-3. IMHO.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:56 AM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
then paying half price for a used one
I guess to me receiving half price for it when there is a decent chance I could use it on something in the future def would not be worth it. I would never sell a gun for half what I paid for it. I bought a spotting scope used, but only b/c the price was slightly less than half retail. I would only be on the other end of the deal if I was getting out of shooting permanently.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Reef

Great information!

Thanks for all the expert advise.
Old May 3, 2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Major Dave (retired)

Half price in relation to the current price of a new one.

For example, The Vari-X III that I paid $250 dollars for was about ten years old. Ten years previously, when it was a new scope, the MSRP was $300. In other words, the original owner "lost" only $50 off the price he paid for it. He got to use it for 10 years for only $5 a year. Then, he bought a new VX-3, which cost him $500 (approx) but because he "traded in" his old scope, he got the newest features available and his out of pocket expense was only $250.

You get to trade in your P/U truck every so many years, to get a zero mileage, new one with the latest features, and no scratches or dings, so why not trade in your scopes the same way?

Your 7 or 8 year old P/U with 100,000 plus miles on it, along with dings, nicks, and/or wrinkles, for a new, shiny one with On Star, Bluetooth, GPS, Tom Tom, two DVD players for back seat passengers, heated and cooled leather seats, 6 speed auto trans.....and that new vehicle smell! I'm just saying.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); May 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old May 3, 2012, 08:05 PM   #12
gunsmokeTPF

In 1967 I bought a brand new Plymouth GTX, 440 eng, 375hp, 3 spd torque fl tranny, dark green with black vinyl roof, twin hood scoops, black racing stripes, red line tires, wide oval exhausts, chrome valve covers. I paid $3,350 including tax and got $900 towards a '70 VW Beetle trade in after getting married %#&@!?. I saw one that sold last year for over $100,000.

If someone likes so called improvements on newer scopes and if it really makes any difference where performance is effected, then I say let them go for it. But new doesn't always mean better. Remember when they improved the model 70 and 94 winchesters in '64? Everyone today wants pre 64's. It's just something to think about.

Scopes can go bad and when that happens throw them into a crusher and get a new one, also buying used scopes can also be a disaster. I'd rather keep the vintage stuff and try hard not to let anything go that I'll regret later on. I develop a tear in my eye every time I think about my GTX and it's been happening for 42 years. Since I'm heading for the last roundup now, I guess any mistakes I make won't haunt me for too long.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:10 PM   #13
Major Dave (retired)

When a Leupold scope goes bad,

send it in to customer service. Free repairs is the norm.

So, when I bought that used Leupold Vari-X III, for $250, I discovered that it wouldn't hold zero. Sent it in, and got a call from a Leupold service rep telling me that the "guts" were busted up, and so which new VX-3 did I want them to send me as a FREE replacement?!

I took the 2.5-8X, which listed at $430. I could have gotten the most expensive one, but I had no need for the higher magnification. AND they installed a Heavy Duplex reticle in it for me AT NO CHARGE. I'm a happy camper.

If you ever have a Leupold scope go bad on you, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER "throw it in a crusher". Send it to me - heh, heh, heh.l

"Buying used scopes can be a disaster". Not when it's a used Leupold.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); May 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:44 AM   #14
gunsmokeTPF

The Leupolds and older Redfields are actually among my favorites. I really didn't mean to literally throw it in a crusher. What I should've said was if your old scope wasn't working properly to just replace it with a new one. I'd give the old one as a gift to a cousin I didn't like and tell him to learn how to shoot correctly. I'm certainly not an authority on scopes, but I think I can tell the decent ones from the garbage.

A scope doesn't have to be expensive to impress me. The Lyman Alaskin 2.5x have been used on some of the greatest big game hunts in Africa. That was one of a heck strong dependable cheap scope in it's day. I don't have any Weavers, but everyone I knew who had one loved it. There's no denying the respect the military had for them as well.

I know some manufacturers stand by their products while others don't. Scopes brought back from europe after the war, just for example, although unbelievably fantastic would be problematic to get repaired.

I'm crazy about the old german scopes especially the pre-war, cause they have great optics and have a look that these new scopes can't duplicate. A newly manufactured scope just doesn't look correct to me mounted on a vintage rifle. Leather lens caps just make me feel all warm and fuzzy on a classic rifle, while the flip ups, which are cool and I have them as well, look out of place on anything with age on it. I've been lucky to never have a problem with any of my scopes for close to 50 years. It's only me that's all busted up.

I feel like I'm writing a book, but I enjoy these pleasant exchanges with nice people and topics that interest me. I always try to learn something new from people smarter than me, which are most.