The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2019, 05:51 PM   #1
fisherman

So what's the latest on the Taurus Spectrum

I am looking on maybe buying a Taurus Spectrum. Can you all comment on the trigger pull and the reliability compared to the Slim for me please. I really like some of their color combinations and the stainless slides but kind of iffy on the no physical thumb operated safety. Your comments and opinions please. If you are going to simply tell me that Taurus is unreliable junk please don't waste my or your time. I already own a 9mm slim, a 22 poly ply, and a judge and I shoot them all a whole lot and love them. Thanks in advance.
Old January 13, 2019, 05:55 PM   #2
Siggy-06

My 709 slim has been 100% reliable since I purchased it several years ago. The Spectrum, I've read numerous reviews of reliability issues, one reviewer even sent his back to the factory which didnt correct the issue. I do like the looks and the grips, but I'm too weary to spend my money on one.
Old January 13, 2019, 06:35 PM   #3
fisherman

Buy a Taurus

Well, I will let you know in April or May when I get back north. Definitely going to buy one unless someone who actually owns one tells me why not to buy one.
Haven't been burned by Taurus yet.
Old January 13, 2019, 07:26 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Don't fret the lack of a manual safety. They don't put them on double action revolvers, do they?

"The Taurus SPECTRUM has a safe, long and smooth 7-9 pound trigger that offers the crisp release common to a striker-fired system. Unique to Taurus, this true double-action only (DAO) trigger system features a non-energized striker, with no pre-cock or pre-load applied, ensuring no contact between the sear and striker. The wide, flat trigger aids in correct finger placement. For additional safety, the gun comes equipped with a striker block, providing peace of mind for everyday carry. "
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 13, 2019, 08:06 PM   #5
fisherman

Thanks for the info Cheapshooter

Do you own on that you shoot or have you shot one? Just curious a long smooth 7-9 pound trigger is not something I am accustom with. All input much appreciated. Thanks again.
Old January 13, 2019, 08:44 PM   #6
jonnyc

We had a bunch in the shop and they never sold. Triggers were crappy and they are possibly the ugliest guns I've ever seen.
Old January 13, 2019, 09:03 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Do you own on that you shoot or have you shot one? Just curious a long smooth 7-9 pound trigger is not something I am accustom with. All input much appreciated. Thanks again.
Don't have one, but it's on my list. Not for any particular reason though. My "pocket carry" is well covered with a LCP, or Kahr CM9. The Spectrum, to me, is just one of those just 'cause guns I seem to find myself buying.
As for the trigger, I'm probably the last guy to ask. I am not "trigger sensitive" in the least, and adapt rather than discriminate when it comes to triggers.
I don't have any problem shooting well with my LCP'S 5 1/2-6 lb trigger, or my Kahr CM 9's 6 1/2 lb trigger. Or for that matter to 12-13 lb triggers on my Ruger LCR, or my Charter Arms DAO Bulldog revolvers.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 13, 2019, 10:49 PM   #8
OhioGuy

I still haven't found a range that rented them. I've held and dry fired them, and while the gun itself is fairly comfortable for such a small package, the triggers were HORRIBLE. I tried at least three and they were all bad. Not terribly heavy, but very long and stagey/gritty as hell. It felt very unrefined.

Honestly the .380 M&P Bodyguard I used to have has a better trigger, and that's saying something. That trigger is long and stiff but at least pretty smooth. I was pretty shocked at the Spectrum. Many reviews have dinged it for the trigger too.

The older TCP .380 actually had a very smooth and enjoyable trigger. Not sure what went wrong between models!

I think the best trigger I've felt on a .380 pocket gun was probably the Beretta Pico.
Old January 14, 2019, 04:55 AM   #9
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I still haven't found a range that rented them. I've held and dry fired them, and while the gun itself is fairly comfortable for such a small package, the triggers were HORRIBLE. I tried at least three and they were all bad. Not terribly heavy, but very long and stagey/gritty as hell. It felt very unrefined.

Honestly the .380 M&P Bodyguard I used to have has a better trigger, and that's saying something. That trigger is long and stiff but at least pretty smooth. I was pretty shocked at the Spectrum. Many reviews have dinged it for the trigger too.

The older TCP .380 actually had a very smooth and enjoyable trigger. Not sure what went wrong between models!

I think the best trigger I've felt on a .380 pocket gun was probably the Beretta Pico.
People that are not experienced with a double action trigger like to disparage them. And anything that is not light, and crisp is their favorite. Yet, most of these people only target shoot them.
These are pocket guns and a good smooth double action is ideal. I can shoot the Pico from the draw, and hit center mass at 7 yds in under 3secs. It is all about training. And to train often you want a quality gun that can handle a lot of ammo down range.

The Spectrum is getting right back to the Aluminum Chassis. I would have really liked this gun if they had gone to all Stainless Steel like the Pico. They took the Takedown from the Pico, which I will give them points for. Also the Modular design which is a very good quality. Especially since these aluminum chassis will crack grips and rails.
They could have spent more money and copied the Pico sights, which are removable and easy to replace with night sights. These small guns really need to be make of steel.
People say you do not have to train with them. BS, they require more training than any gun out there, just like the snubbie. Very short barrel, smaller grip, more felt recoil.
The Pico for example has much less recoil and muzzle flip. The Kahr the same. The Kahr is also well built with steel inserts and a steel build.
So if I were to get a aluminum gun in the same class of size, (I won't) I would get the Spectrum over the LCPll and similar pocket guns.
Old January 14, 2019, 06:24 AM   #10
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
People that are not experienced with a double action trigger like to disparage them.
In case I didn't come across as intended, I was not disparaging DA triggers

Only the Spectrum's DA trigger. I appreciate and enjoy smooth DA triggers like Pico, Kahr and good DA revolvers and regularly carry a DA/SA pistol.

I was only disparaging the Spectrum's trigger, which in the case of the several I dry fired, almost felt like it wasn't part of the gun. Maybe they smooth out over time, but they just felt awful.
Old January 14, 2019, 07:34 AM   #11
jar

I'm also one who keeps considering the Spectrum but have not yet pulled the trigger. If you decide to get one please keep us posted on your experience.

Last edited by jar; January 14, 2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old January 14, 2019, 08:11 AM   #12
Siggy-06

Also, I keep seeing Beretta Picos and Ruger LCP gen 2's for $200 and under online. Both of those have a longer/better track record, and at a low price.
Old January 14, 2019, 08:22 AM   #13
OhioGuy

When the LCP2 came out, there was a lot of chatter about Ruger's warning never to carry with a round in the chamber, along with the information that the pistol contained no internal firing pin block -- such that carrying with a cocked internal hammer *could* in theory result in an accidental discharge if anything were to knock the hammer out of position and cause it to release.

Some said the hammer was designed to fall to a half-cocked position. Evidently their new Security 9 has a similar design, albeit with a manual thumb safety.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I consider carrying without a round chambered to be off the table.

The Pico is DAO as far as I know -- don't think the hammer/striker/whatever-it-has is cocked between shots. Anyone sure of this?

Also unsure about the Spectrum, believe I read it's a DAO striker design.
Old January 14, 2019, 10:15 AM   #14
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06 View Post
Also, I keep seeing Beretta Picos and Ruger LCP gen 2's for $200 and under online. Both of those have a longer/better track record, and at a low price.
Down here the Pico, LCP (latest iteration) and the Spectrum are all available at the same price. The S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 and Remington RM380 are also available withing a few bucks of the same price. Of those four I like the Pico the best (the ability to easily adjust or change sights is nice) then the BG380 and Remington RM380 are really, really close and the LCP lagging far behind. If it were a true DA with second strike capability it might be right up there with the BG380 and RM380.

AbE:

I just noticed that at the Taurus website the Spectrum is not shown as a current model. Is it being discontinued?

Last edited by jar; January 14, 2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old January 14, 2019, 12:36 PM   #15
Carl the Floor Walker

Most folks that are Pico fans know and feel the Pico is very under priced for the quality. Every part of the Pistol is Stainless steel. The receiver, the sub chassis, and even ships with a stainless steel recoil guide rod. The sights are removable and easy to replace with Night Sights. The magazines are some of the finest magazines I have seen with any Pistol. All stainless Steel and looked like high end custom 1911 mags. Even have a STEEL Follower The heavier barrel and receiver are designed to aid in recoil management, which it does very well. A very smooth shooter. The trigger is a nice hammer fired double action. WITH RESTRIKE.
Longevity and durability-- I can tell you with all sincerity that the Pico will out last the aluminum frame/chassis guns. I had many LCP's go down with cracked frames, grips, split rails, etc. Owned a total of 4 of them and all but the last one had to be sent back so many times and or replaced.
I have two Pico's. And One I use extensivly for the range has thousands of rounds fired thousands of rounds through the gun and looks new. I stopped counting at 2,500 rounds and that was a long time ago.
The other has about 1500 rds.
The modular design is great for doing any minor repairs that you may have and changing the grips if one were to fail or crack, (which they haven't).
The Pico is a beautiful gun to just hold and admire. The machining is beautiful. It really is a top shelf Pocket pistol and totally has been flawless with all kinds of ammo. Yes, a gun that is easy to be a fan.
The Spectrum is trying to copy the Pico in some areas. However it just is not the quality. You can say the Pico is built to last a lifetime. I do not know if mine will last to 10,000 rounds or 20 Plus. But it will out last the others.

https://i.imgur.com/gRzCjMl.mp4