The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 19, 2018, 09:35 PM   #26
Wheelgun

Some of my favorite DA/SA pistols are the 3rd Gen Smith & Wessons. Well built, and there are some good deals out there in police trade in pistols.

WG
Old December 19, 2018, 09:53 PM   #27
TunnelRat

I like the 3rd Gen Smiths. What I will say is the factory stopped supporting them, and finding parts and magazines for them is a lot harder than even a few years ago. It will likely outrun you regardless, just putting that out there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old December 20, 2018, 08:27 AM   #28
Roland Thunder

I had a Sig 226 9mm but could not master the DA/SA trigger, so I sold it. I have mostly guns with DAO trigger, e.g. Walther PPQ, M&P C.O.R.E., Sig 320
Old December 20, 2018, 11:59 AM   #29
viciouskitty

I can’t recommend enough the red headed step child of the da/sa guns the fnx. I got a fnx 9, I’ve had it for about 6 years and have over 6000 rounds thru it. In that time period I’ve had no issues with it whatsoever and have competed with it often. The trigger while not the greatest is perfectly suitable for most tasks. The only snag may be that for some the texturing may be to aggressive. It does not bother me but ymmv. As an added bonus the gun is incredibly light, around 22 ounces unloaded.
Old December 20, 2018, 12:42 PM   #30
dontcatchmany

FNH FNX 45, 40 and 9. Top notch as I have approx. 3500 no problem rounds through my 40 and 45 and have a 9mm and 357 Sig barrels and mags for the 40.

I also have Bersa Thunder UC Pro weapons in 9mm and 45 acp. The Bersas, were cheaper, but their quality is way above what some folks think of them. Each of mine has over 3,000 rounds through them with only the 45 having me to replace the magazine catch/release.
Old December 20, 2018, 09:43 PM   #31
Martowski

Short answer from my experience: the Sig SP2022 is a great pistol, great value, and great size to be both a range toy and a carry gun.

I've owned two P226's and got rid of both, but kept the SP2022. Nice having the frame decocker, much more convenient location than the slide.

My second pick is the FN FNP-9. However, that's out of production but the updated version, the FNX, is out there as well.
Old December 21, 2018, 09:04 PM   #32
VW3

Tha is for the responses everyone. Oddly enough, I currently have a Sig P320 and I think I may just buy another one of those in a different caliber. I love the P 320 platform.
Old December 22, 2018, 08:54 PM   #33
jackstrawIII

I’ve owned pretty much all the well-known DA/SA guns from H&K, Sig, Beretta, Walter, CZ, etc.

The best is the CZ P-01.

Also been experimenting a lot with the H&K P30sk as a carry piece and it works well. It’s not a CZ... but it’s got potential.
Old December 22, 2018, 11:00 PM   #34
subhuman

love me some DA/SA

Old December 24, 2018, 12:47 AM   #35
Ignition Override

My CZ 'PCR' (75D) and 1994 Sig P228 are the carry guns most of the year, IWB at 9:00.
My first P228, also a '94 is too pristine to shoot very often, which motivated me to buy a second P228.

All-metal, DA/SA guns for me with very good triggers. I even jog with any of them, every time I run (only the Makarov in the summer). What's the problem with a little extra weight?

On the hotter/more humid summer days, my DA/SA .380 Russian Makarov is easier to conceal under a single t-shirt, but I also don't want to expose those other guns to much steamy sweat.

Last edited by Ignition Override; December 24, 2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old January 4, 2019, 05:11 PM   #36
Ruark

Don't forget the Walther P99's......
Old January 4, 2019, 06:03 PM   #37
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
carry guns most of the year, IWB at 9:00.
Curious, if you don't mind me asking....
are you left handed and carry at 9:00 or right handed and used a cross draw?
Old January 7, 2019, 12:13 PM   #38
Skans

The one gripe I have about trying to find a good da/sa gun is lack of availability in a micro or very compact 9mm. If anyone knows of any, please list them!!!
Old January 7, 2019, 09:46 PM   #39
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post
The one gripe I have about trying to find a good da/sa gun is lack of availability in a micro or very compact 9mm. If anyone knows of any, please list them!!!
IMO you may want to edit your post to more specific dimensions on what you are looking for. The smallest thin single stack DA/SA I know of is the Springfield XD-E though it is the same height and heavier than the Glock 19. There are shorter DA/SA double stack pistols like the HK P30SK but it is chunky like most double stacks. With striker fired pistols dominating the market they way they are in that category at extremely competitive pricing it just seems that manufacturers don't want to invest on smaller/thinner/lighter DA/SA pistols and I can't blame them as the design of the DA/SA hammer fired pistol has distinct disadvantages compared to striker fired pistol in that category especially with height/bore axis and weight.
Old January 8, 2019, 09:12 AM   #40
Skans

Quote:
MO you may want to edit your post to more specific dimensions on what you are looking for
When I say "Micro 9mm", the dimensions would be similar to:
Boberg XR9-S
Diamondback DB9
Rohrbaugh R9
Kimber Micro 9mm
Old January 8, 2019, 09:23 AM   #41
Skans

Quote:
as the design of the DA/SA hammer fired pistol has distinct disadvantages compared to striker fired pistol in that category especially with height/bore axis and weight.
I prefer DA/SA to striker fired pistols; so do many people. Also, you cannot safely pocket carry any Glock-style pistol. So, you have to add the bulk of a traditional holster to that setup. I can safely pocket carry a micro DAO pistol in a very thin wallet-type holster.
Old January 8, 2019, 10:21 AM   #42
TunnelRat

Quote:
Also, you cannot safely pocket carry any Glock-style pistol. So, you have to add the bulk of a traditional holster to that setup. I can safely pocket carry a micro DAO pistol in a very thin wallet-type holster.
They make pocket holsters for the Glock 42 and 43.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 8, 2019, 11:41 AM   #43
Skans

Quote:
I know, similar to the Nemisis. I used to use a Nemisis holster and hated it. I have two different wallet holsters that I uses; both work OK for me. Not as good as IWB, but good enough for me. You never see the print of a gun with the two I use. One really takes a lot of practice to use correctly and it's .5" shy of being an AOW. It was made for a Ruger LC9 and I had to custom modify it for a Diamondback DB9 (yes, my DB9 is reliable after a fluff&buff and right ammo)
Old January 9, 2019, 06:59 PM   #44
Bart Noir

Skans, check out the CZ Rami. It is available with a thumb safety for cocked-n-locked and it has double action if you want that for the first shot.

It also has been made with a decocker in place of the safety.

Bart Noir
Old January 9, 2019, 10:25 PM   #45
GoPappy

The CZ Rami is a great pistol, but it's quite a bit larger than the micro pistols Skans listed above. In fact, it's almost the same exact size as a Glock 26.

I've got the Rami BD model (with the decocker), and it shares several holsters with my Glock 27.
Old January 10, 2019, 08:44 AM   #46
rodfac

Quote:
The Bersa UC in 9mm is somewhat fat like the Beretta,,,
But also has the best ergonomic grip of them all.

One other thing is that it has big controls,,,
And it is 100% ambidextrous.

I'm not saying they are the best pistol out there,,,
I'm just saying they are worth a serious look.
I'll heartily 2nd this...a friend gave me his .40 after I trained one of his daughters in SD shooting, not necessary but that's the kind of guy he is! While I'm a Sig guy at heart for SA/DA guns...I found the Bersa absolutely reliable, had great controls for those of us who's age and stiff fingers find smaller ones aggravating, and is suitably accurate for any SD purpose out to 25 yards or so.

Example: from 10 yds, and a Weaver Stance, I get 1-1/2" groups with any ammunition, and smaller with tuned handloads. BTW, those ambidextrous controls might come in handy in cerrtain circumstances. I find them a very nice touch...and they're not present on any of my Sigs.

The example I have, in .40 S&W is as well finished as my Sigs, sports tritium night sights and makes a fine, duty size CCW. Currently, mine is on my bedside table. I do trust the gun!

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 10, 2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old January 11, 2019, 08:10 PM   #47
Ignition Override

HighValleyRanch: Left-handed, and 180 lbs., 5' 11".

Having always tried 8:30 carry, the grips of the CZ PCR and Sig P228 seem easier to conceal now using 9:00. If I were to lean to the right, this might not be the case. But leaning fwd. 9:00 seems somewhat better.

With the Makarov (.380 Izhevsk) for summer, it's clearly easier to conceal, in any clock position.

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 14, 2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old January 11, 2019, 10:38 PM   #48
BILLG

Beretta 92 preferably a G model or Sig 226.The clones are just that clones imitation of the real things.
I have the Beretta and Sig 226 and 229.Like the all but prefer the Beretta.
Old January 14, 2019, 09:59 AM   #49
USNRet93

Quote:
Also, you cannot safely pocket carry any Glock-style pistol. So, you have to add the bulk of a traditional holster to that setup. I can safely pocket carry a micro DAO pistol in a very thin wallet-type holster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
And this too..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trigger-holster_glock-g42_galloway-precision_5478.jpg (141.8 KB, 20 views)

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 17, 2019, 01:31 AM   #50
sigxder

Got all the SIG P-Series guns except the 230. All of them fine guns with good triggers. Have Beretta 92/96's. Much better guns with a D spring. Same with the PX4. Have the Compact PX4. Put on the small decockers and changed it to
a decocker only. Then put in the D spring for the Cougar/PX4. Made it the best DA/SA trigger I have ever felt.
Lighter and smoother than even my SIG's. PX4 Compact with Talon grips and the above changes makes it my best DA/SA gun I have. A real sleeper.