The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 13, 2013, 02:43 PM   #1
GeoLund

Age of H&R Model 922?

I just purchased an old H&R 22 caliber revolver and I have been trying to research more about it with little success. My snag is that the serial number does not have any letters, only numbers. It has either 5 numbers (53278) or possibly 6 numbers with the first two stamped on top of each other (573278). It has 9 cylinders, double action, 2.5" barrel, two piece black plastic grips, blue finish, center pin pull, solid frame, (and I think a transfer ignition bar. The hammer is flat on the back and the firing pin is built into the frame).
It does NOT have an all-in-one cartridge ejection.

Here is what is stamped directly on the gun:
Left side of barrel "MODEL 922" "22 CAL."
Left side, under cylinder "H&R INC. WORC. MASS. U.S.A."
Serial number is on the butt end, the numbers are fairly large and poorly lined up.

It looks a lot like the gun pictured at this link.
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/932066...olver-near-new
The only visible difference is that my gun does not have the small line located about 1/4" in from the end of the hammer.

I would appreciate learning anything you can tell me about age and history. Thanks so much!!!

Geo

Last edited by GeoLund; August 15, 2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old August 19, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Two Old Dogs

Geolund: Your Model 922 should have a letter I or J prefix to the serial number.

You have a Model 922 Double Action First Model, Sixth Variation that was made in 1948-1949 and is indicated by the introduction of the 2 1/2" barrel length.

It is obvious, by the overstrike of the numbers , that there was a malfunction in the serial numbering process and the finished and mis-numbered frame was assembled into a complete firearm. This revolver with the mangled number could have been sold as a second.

I would be curious to know how H & R recorded the number in their master sales log.
Old August 22, 2013, 12:36 PM   #3
GeoLund

Confusing...

I know the shop that sold it to me didn't see the overstrike and therefore recorded the serial number incorrectly. It is indeed a mystery! I know it should have letters of some sort, but THERE ARE NO LETTERS in the serial number. Also isn't it an odd combination to have transfer bar ignition but not the auto ejection for the bullets? It makes it super confusing (for me) to figure out the age...

Any further suggestions would be welcome. I've done a bunch of research and am still befuddled.

Geo

I'm attaching a pic of the serial number.
Actually now that I look at it really big, the overstrike might be an upside down number two... If so, then it only has 5 numbers which would make it really old, but that isn't consistent with the 2.5" barrel and the firing pin built into the frame. Someone help!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130822_111823_228.jpg (218.4 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by GeoLund; August 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM.

Tags
922 , age , h&r , revolver