The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 21, 2011, 05:11 PM   #1
handgunfan101

Thought i was going to melt at the range today:(

Went to the indoor range and there air was broken and it was nasty hot there. I bought a year pass instead of paying the 8.00 each visit.

I looked around and there were 3 others there and they were drenched in sweat. I began my first clip and started to sweat and by the first 100 rounds i had to take a hand towel ( i bring all my gear in a backpack gun in case towel to wipe hands down, bottle of water,ears, ammo and what not) and wipe my hands and face over and over.

Then at about 200 rounds the range master said finish your clips were shutting it down for the day its past the safe point. I asked him how hot it was in there and his reply was::::

106 degrees

man thats crazy...... I was so over heated i came home and it took me an hour to cool down with the central air on full blast...
Old July 21, 2011, 05:30 PM   #2
BeachHead

Nevermind the heat. With the air broken, think about all the lead and powder you guys were exposed to
Old July 21, 2011, 06:23 PM   #3
handgunfan101

nah the heat was nuts. i wont be back until they get it fixed
Old July 21, 2011, 06:32 PM   #4
jglsprings

handgunfan101

You are hard core - good on ya mate. At least you got to shoot this week!

Quote:
Unread Today, 06:30 PM #2
BeachHead

Nevermind the heat. With the air broken, think about all the lead and powder you guys were exposed to
BeachHead is offline Report Post
Wow, 19 minutes before a net nanny found something to warn you about.

Commas save lives...
Old July 21, 2011, 06:50 PM   #5
BeachHead

Oh, shut up
Old July 21, 2011, 06:56 PM   #6
pvt.Long

Your shooting jacketed ammo so your lead exposure wouldn't be a health problem. If you got a problem with the heat think about these little factors to yourself...1.) It isn't 110 degrees in the desert; 2.) I'm not 5,700 miles from home; 3.) I'm not dressed in a full BDU uniform with 30 pound flack jacket and helmet and carrying 70+ lbs. not including the water you have to carry; and 4.) There is very little chance that anyone will shoot at me or that I might drive over a bomb in the road today! Thanks an iraqi/afgan and desert storm vet.
Old July 21, 2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Stevie-Ray

Came home today from up north and it was 102° here. Wasn't much better up there, though, at 95.
Old July 21, 2011, 07:07 PM   #8
handgunfan101

stevie ray where abouts are you from in michigan? i have an uncle i visit that lives in st. clare shores i think thats near lake huron
Old July 21, 2011, 07:09 PM   #9
Stevie-Ray

I live in the Downriver area south of Detroit. My second home is in AuSable Twp about 200 miles north.
Old July 21, 2011, 07:35 PM   #10
oneounceload

Quote:
BINGO - how were they legally open with no air handling system?
Old July 21, 2011, 08:17 PM   #11
PT-92

Yeah--Shooting in either extremes (90+ or sub-zero) makes it real difficult to be comfortable enough to place accurate shots.

However, I can shoot even in sub-zero temps just fine if dressed properly with one caveat:

NO WIND!

Wind chills absolutely kill me. Likewise, I can take heat up to the 90's provided there's no:

HUMIDITY!

Funny to me how the variables effect the extreme weather (at least for me).

-Cheers

Edited to add: Real temperature today in Saint Louis was 104 with a heat index of 116! I hate the mid-west in July/August!
Old July 21, 2011, 08:27 PM   #12
WolfMacabre

The heat isn't all that bad, there are people in worse heat conditions as pvt. Long pointed out. Although if the range near me was gonna be that hot I think i would drive the extra 30 minutes to the outdoor range, atleast i'll be hott with some scenery
Old July 21, 2011, 08:28 PM   #13
AK103K

I sure hope you didnt break a nail pounding on the air conditioner buttons! (I see they have retired the smiley, must have been to insensitive, which is actually very appropriate here.... )

Wheres Arnold? I sense a "girly man" response coming any second.

I sure hope our enemies aint reading this. The way some of you talk, all they'd have to do, is kill the electric, and the whole country would give up once their crisp, clean white shirts got damp with a little "perspiration" (we in the real world call it sweat )!

Jeez, Im 56, work physically outdoors, pretty much year round, 12 hour days with a 20 minute break at dinner. It broke 100 this afternoon with a nice little breeze, and was actually a very nice day. Sure beats being stuck inside breathing bad cologne and recycled farts.

I hear tomorrow is supposed to be just as nice as today. Im off for the weekend. Youre welcome to come shooting with me, as long as you dont complain.
Old July 21, 2011, 08:41 PM   #14
handgunfan101

BINGO - how were they legally open with no air handling system?

Who said anything about the air handling system i said that the air conditioning was down not the fresh air exchange unit.
Old July 21, 2011, 08:55 PM   #15
BeachHead

You merely said "their air was broken". So I naturally assumed you meant no ventilation existed whatsoever.
Old July 21, 2011, 09:50 PM   #16
handgunfan101

ahhh i see, no worries i should have been more specific
Old July 21, 2011, 09:54 PM   #17
Don Glock

Quote:
Went to the indoor range and there air was broken and it was nasty hot there. I bought a year pass instead of paying the 8.00 each visit.
it wasn't bluegrass range in louisville, was it? i don't think that range even has AC
Old July 22, 2011, 12:38 AM   #18
BIG P

MAN ya'll got it ruff, My range has a giant live oak & a trout stream, Mts to the west for shade nice cool breeze in your face.had alittle shower came up about 4pm so pulled my boots off put my feet in the creek kept right on shootin,with a range like this dont care if the A/C works or not.
OH,cost per unit is good too freeee
Old July 22, 2011, 02:03 AM   #19
stephen426

106 F is pretty bad... I did high power matches in the middle of summer in South Florida. Think about the heat and humidity, then add a shooting jacket on top of it. Talk about HOT!!!
Old July 22, 2011, 04:35 AM   #20
Lokpyrite

Just 106? Come one down here to Phoenix and bring yer cooling trend with you.
Old July 22, 2011, 06:45 AM   #21
9-ball

+1 for AK103K!
Old July 22, 2011, 09:33 AM   #22
handgunfan101

no thanks we were in AZ last july visiting friends and it was like an oven.
Old July 22, 2011, 01:42 PM   #23
pvt.Long

I do 8 hrs in the elements in boots jeans and a long sleeve shirt, and I don't see what people are complaining about, its a nice bright sunny day a little humid with a nice cool breeze. Let me guess, you guys, I repeat GUYS as in the male sex of the human being race, that are complaining about how hot an indoor range is would also be the ones complaining about how cold it is outside when winter hits? Your bright fresh clean shirt gets a little damp, and you go crying out of the room.and yet there are guys in the desert full acus and battle rattle doing their jobs 24/7 7days a week 365 days a year no relief and every time you get in a truck you run a risk of running over and IED and when you get out of the truck someone will possibly shoot at you and hide.Or those of you who were in korea and nam remember doing your job in a jungle where there is no relief from the humidity and behind every bush is something that wants to bite ,suck your blood ,or just naturally wants to do harm to your body,and if it rains you dont notice because your body is already saturated with sweat!
Old July 22, 2011, 02:47 PM   #24
810wmb

i have made an outdoor range down at my pop's farm.

i usually get there 8-9 am - i sweat through EVERYTHING...completely drenched..every time i have shot this summer.

most of the time it's pretty hot, but the humidity is what kills

soaking wet and shooting, beats cool, sweat free dry firing!

Old July 22, 2011, 03:51 PM   #25
NWPilgrim

Whenever I think it is hot outside at the range (around here the 90s are considered HOT) I remember our troops overseas who live, train and patrol in 110-120 all the time. I don't believe I could even THINK at 120F let alone function all day. They are expected to make complex decisions and be alert and polite. I would not do well in that heat let alone the two way aspects of the "range".
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison