The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old June 15, 2008, 08:55 AM   #1
P99AS9

I just can't do it!!!!!

To qualify for my F&G club's indoor pistol range, I have to be able to hit a 2x2 target from 25 yards with one hand . To make matters worse, I need 10 consecutive shots in the seven ring . I went to the range with my 45's and my 9's, and tried to duplicate these specifications. When I shot, I could only hit the target twice, and that wasn't even consistent! I am just a bad shot or what? Can anyone actually do this? They only hold qualifications once every year and I really don't want to wait!!!! The qualifications are next week!!!
Old June 15, 2008, 11:43 AM   #2
armoredman

You have to shoot this to do what - use the range? Is that 2 inches by two inches, or two feet by two feet? If that was the qualification we had used at our indoor range, we would have been very bored by the lack of customers! Those are rather stringent requirements for a duty sized pistol - go rent a Ruger MK II, lot easier.
Or, if this really is thier requirement, find another range.
Old June 15, 2008, 02:47 PM   #3
gilfo

The range must have alot of customers. If they make you qualify to shoot there. I'd be lucky to see a 2 x 2 at 25 yards much less hit it with one hand. I would find another range. I have only CCW guns which I practice with in real world situations 0-25 feet.
Old June 15, 2008, 11:00 PM   #4
ZeSpectre

I've -never- heard of a requirement like that for simply shooting at a range.
Are we talking 2x2 inches or 2x2 feet?
Are you -sure- somebody said 25 YARDS not 25 feet?
-Is this for some kind of competition?
-Is it possible somebody is pulling your leg?

I mean on an average day I can single-hand a 2x2 inch target at 25 feet (that's about 8.5 yards)

On a -VERY good- day I could do the same at 45-50 ft. (16 yards)

But a typical "decent day" run at 75 feet (25 yards) for me looks more like this and that's freestanding with TWO hands!

And my real point is that I only got as good as this by doing a LOT of practice. Hell if I was a new-guy and could shoot this well to "qualify" for a range I doubt I'd feel like I even needed a range

Last edited by ZeSpectre; June 16, 2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old June 15, 2008, 11:13 PM   #5
B. Lahey

Is it a two inch or two foot target?
Old June 16, 2008, 02:35 AM   #6
Manlaan

Also make sure that it is 25 yards and not 25 feet. Huge difference. I wish I could see that good, let alone shoot that good.
Old June 16, 2008, 05:40 AM   #7
CajunBass

MAN!! I am SO glad I stopped to read this thread.

I thought EVERYBODY on the internet (except me) could shoot 1" groups with a service pistol with either hand at 25 yards.

I feel a LOT better now.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 16, 2008, 03:21 PM   #8
P99AS9

Quote:
Are we talking 2x2 inches or 2x2 feet?
2x2 foot target. 75 feet, or as I said earlier, 25 yds. This qualificatin is for an indoor shooting range.
Old June 16, 2008, 04:23 PM   #9
davlandrum

Wow - I thought you joined a range to practice and get better...

I guess I can vaguely understand that you need to be able to hit the 2x2, but what does 1 handed have to do with it??? I know I wouldn't qualify that way.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old June 16, 2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Trapp

hgf
Old June 16, 2008, 04:37 PM   #11
Trapp

Someone might be able to help you if we knew what you were working with.

What am I talking about? These are all of your posts that conflict with each other...

Quote:
I have a Beretta 92fs and It can only take 15 and 20 round mags in it.
Quote:
My Beretta is in excellent condition and I'd be looking for a 226 in excellent condition as well. I also have an HK USP 45. compact that I might try to sell and I'd get at least $800 for that, but the HK is such a great shot and reliable, I'm reluctant to get rid of it. For $800, I could actually probably get a brand new sig but my HK has never failed once.
Quote:
I carry a HK USP 45. Compact. It's very concealable and extremely reliable.
Quote:
I would carry the HK P2000SK. I've been carrying mine for years and I love it. It is lightweight, very contollable, and 100% reliable. Also, mine is the V3 with the LEM trigger, so I don't have the hammer poking me in the side all of the time. Personally, I hate Glock.
Quote:
For concealed I take my P99AS 9mm (Hornady 147 +p.) For home defence I use my AK-47 (which is not really a pistol but I like it anyway) : ]
Quote:
I voted Germany I have three Walthers and four HK's and I love them all. I also have a Sig P232 that was made in Germany.
Quote:
I've actually had many FTF's on my Kimber Custom II. I am not a big fan of Dan Wesson either. I would either get a Springfield or a Para Ordnance.
From the "Most problematic gun you've owned" thread:
Quote:
S&W Walther PPK. Biggest piece of crap ever.:barf: Constant FTFeeds and a few KBooms. Also some slide bite. James Bond made a horrible choice. I wonder if he even has a thumb anymore.
A few KB's!?!?!?

Quote:
Oh yea, I'm the one who made the OP, and I forgot to mention that I have 2 AK's
Quote:
My Bersa Thunder .380 sucked and had FTF. I wouldn't buy one. I'm glad your happy with your's though
Quote:
I have a Walther P99AS, PPS, PPK, PPK/S, P5, P38, P22, P88, P1, and PP. Mind you, I started my Walther collection when I was 18 and I will never stop. Walther all the way!!!
in reference to a gun not available in the US (a UMP)

Quote:
HK Allday:

Nice carbine. I have the same exact one. It is a beauty and I wouldn't get rid of it.
Quote:
I actually already own a PPS and I regret buying it. For a gun of its size, you'd think it would be a little bit lighter. Also, I think the trigger on it sucks.
Quote:
That's completely not true. I own a selective fire uzi. I bought it back in 87' for only 2,500.
Quote:
HK Allday:

Good questions. I have had an HK USP45C, and I have shot an HK45C and an HK P2000SK 9mm.
Quote:
I am thinking about getting Walther PPK/S in .380 as my next gun. Also, my father is going to buy a two-tone Sig P232 (.380)

What is good defence ammo for a .380?
Quote:
I have been a semi-auto pistol guy (with the exception of one rifle.) Honesty, just for the first time yesterday, I picked up a revolver to fondle it
Quote:
I was once in the same situation as you

I went with the 3'' 686

I like it better than the Ruger
"Oldest handgun you own" thread:

Quote:
a 2008 Lancaster AK47 lol. All of the guns I own are from 08'.
Quote:
I own a P99AS and I used to own a USP/C. I liked the P99 in every way better (hint...hint...look at the username)
Quote:
Mine was an HK P2000SK V2 LEM. I bought it without even trying the LEM trigger before and I hated it. I sold it within the week that I bought it
Quote:
I prefer steel because of its heft and recoil-reducing weight. But my CCW and home defence weapon is a P99 with a polymer frame. For some weird reason, my polymer P99 has less recoil than my 42oz 226ST. It's just kind of weird how that works.
Quote:
I own a selective fire IMI Uzi. I pretty much never use it because it's way to expensive to shoot, which is why I'm considering buying a .22lr conversion kit for it. I got it in 1987 for $3000.
Quote:
The Sig P220 is a great pistol. Mine had only 2 FTF's when I first shot it and then it was fine.
Quote:
Definately my dad's fault , and I can't thank him enough. When I was 12 he bought me my first gun for Christmas (a Sig P239). Ever since then I was obsessed with guns.
Quote:
Also, my heavy, steel-framed Kahr K40 kicked like a mule, and that was a heavy gun for a compact.
You don't add up......
Old June 16, 2008, 05:29 PM   #12
williamd

I shoot with some LEO's ... good thing they do not have to do the 2" trick at 25 yds or few would be carrying!!!

I consider myself pretty fair but .... guess not at your range!
Old June 17, 2008, 04:11 AM   #13
Rant Casey

Where in NH is this range? What's the name of it? Sounds odd. Also, if you'd like to turn a profit on that uzi you can't afford to shoot I'll buy it from you. You paid 2500 or 3000... doesn't matter, you'll leave ahead.
Old June 20, 2008, 09:06 AM   #14
P99AS9

Trapp:

Hmmm....Your right. What I say doesn't add up. Man, I'm getting so old I can hardly remember what I still have or not. I can try to clarify things for you. The only guns I still have are a Sig P220, Walther P99AS, Walther PPK, Walther P38, Walther PPS, HK 45C, HK P2000SK, Lancaster AK47, HK USC (not the UMP), And an Uzi. The guns I brought to the range were the Sig, HK 45C, P99 and the, 2000SK. The range is called the Proctor range at the Nashua Fish & Game club. Sorry for the all of the confusion.
Old June 20, 2008, 09:56 AM   #15
Trapp

In that case go to http://www.bullseyepistol.com/. Review the Army's marksman ship manual. Pick one gun and use what you learn in that manual and on the website.

Practise practise practise.
Old June 20, 2008, 12:09 PM   #16
Scorch

I'm not too sure what the issues are here. Just so I'm not talking out of my hip pocket, I went downstairs to measure a NRA 50-foot slow fire target, but apparently I am out. IIRC, the target is about 10"X12", the 7 ring is 6" in diameter. So they are asking you to shoot what? A target 4 times that size? And keep it inside of what size circle? 8"? 10"? 12"? Typically, I shoot my Colt Combat Commander in 45ACP at 25 yds because any closer and I feel like the target will have powder burns on it. I typically shoot a group about 3"-4" in diameter at that range, not Olympic champion performance, but then I am just an average shooter. So what size is the 7 ring on the target they are asking you to shoot on? If your guns are capable of shooting into 4" at 25 yds out of a machine rest and you are not able to shoot into 8", then go back to basics and practice. If your guns are not capable of hitting a 4" circle at 25 yds, then you will never be able to do so, and you would be better off replacing the guns.