The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 20, 2016, 12:41 AM   #26
Pond, James Pond

I see a lot of comments on controllability and accuracy but for me it is unrealistic to make those comparisons. A G18 may look like a G17, but that is it. A very different animal.

A F-A G18 will never be as controllable nor as accurate, shot after shot, as a G17, but a G17 could never lay down the suppressive fire of a G18. Horses for courses...

Nor is it (the G18) something designed to be shot well one-handed. Even shooting a G17 is typically taught two-handed for the most part because everyone acknowledges that is how you'll get the best from the gun. So, taking all that into account, I think those that shot the G18 did so relatively well given that no full auto, fired unsupported, is supposed to be a tack-driver.

If the job is to suppress assailants, clear a room, take on multiple targets or simply carve a path, yet be something that can disappear under a jacket, the G18 seems well suited.

Of course, all the scenarios above are very specific, and for very specific users and none of them scream "discriminate fire", but there are surely some situations that might leave the user thinking "thank you, Santa, for this fun-switch!"...

But for police forces? I struggle to imagine legitimate uses.
Old December 20, 2016, 01:21 PM   #27
Model12Win

Quote:
Having seen examples of lousy trigger control from officers carrying revolvers back in the day
Say WUHH??

Everyone knows that cops used to carry revolvers because they didn't do that and never needed more than six shots!

All jokes aside, machine pistols do have their place. Otherwise, military and police around the world wouldn't buy or have them. They are effective anti-ambush weapons for breaking contact with the enemy for one. True, most police officers shouldn't be armed with them, but for units like SWAT and the SAS, they have the training to utilize them properly and with extreme prejudice.