The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 5, 2015, 09:56 PM   #26
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzums
does the piston get changed out, or do I just buy an adaptor?
Either one. You can either use a 5/8x24 piston and then replace the spring with a spacer, or you can just buy the 5/8x24 fixed-barrel mount like the one in the bottom right of that pic above. On the Octane, it makes more sense to just buy the fixed barrel mount for use with 300 Blackout.

Sometimes the Octane comes with a piston and sometimes it doesn't, but when it does it's usually a 1/2x28 pistom. For use on a 9mm rifle you can either use the 1/2x28 piston with a fixed-barrel spacer replacing the spring, or you can buy a fixed-barrel mount in 1/2x28.
Old February 5, 2015, 09:59 PM   #27
Sharkbite

My advice....

Get a Octane45 with a 1/2x28 piston. This will allow you to shoot it on a 9mm pistol. Get a 5/8x24 Piston. This will allow you to mount it to a 45acp pistol. Get or make some spacers to replace the springs in those 2 pistons and you can mount it on a 22lr rifle, 9mm AR or a 300blk AR

Max versitility with just 1 can
Old February 5, 2015, 10:20 PM   #28
skizzums

okay thank guys. I will be ordering end of next week. I iwill post with my ultimate decision. surely I will have some last minute questions too. I am extremely excited, although not excited about being a registered NFA owner.....
Old February 5, 2015, 10:24 PM   #29
Sharkbite

Be WARNED!!!...

Stamp collecting is addictive. Everyone says they only want 1. Lol.
Old February 6, 2015, 01:57 AM   #30
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
Get a 5/8x24 Piston. This will allow you to mount it to a 45acp pistol.
5/8x24 is only for 30 caliber rifles. The standard US thread pattern for .45 is .578x28. So it makes sense to get the fixed-barrel mount for 5/8x24 because you'll never use it on a pistol.
Old February 6, 2015, 01:59 AM   #31
Theohazard

Quote:
I am extremely excited, although not excited about being a registered NFA owner.....
Just out of curiosity, what are you worried about specifically?
Old February 7, 2015, 10:29 PM   #32
skizzums

okay guys, about to order now. there is the ISIS-2. I have been reading reviews from a couple dozen owners on various websites and can't find anything other than it silly quiet, and very long. this isn't going to be on a pistol, so I don't care about long. the price is right, but if I was buying for a pistol the recoil "thingy" is separate and ends up in the same price range as the rest. this is the only model that I can find that offers a cheaper option for fixed barrel only. silencershop sells the thread adaptor for 50$ or so to mount on 300BLK. anything I am missing here, does the isis-2 have a rep of not holing up for a long time, that is really my main concern, I know its quiet and they approve for 9mm and sub 300. but it seems almost too good to be true to get the can, adaptor and stamp for about 600$
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/thompson-isis2/
http://www.thesilencerstore.com/inde...products_id=25
i know it's really long, but it's mainly going on a 5" 9mm AR. and since it's my first can, and it's really just for giggles, i don't wanna blow a ton of cash unless there is a real difference in longevity. although i can't find any negative reviews, i am worrid because i cannot find any warranty info either
Old February 8, 2015, 01:53 AM   #33
Theohazard

I don't have any personal experience with that can, but from looking at it I can see that it has a monocore baffle stack. This can make cleaning easier because it's all one piece, but it can make disassembly difficult because carbon gets between the baffle stack and the tube and can lock it in place. I'm guessing this is why they designed it to be taken part with a tool, whereas the Octane doesn't require a tool for disassembly. Also, monocore baffles tend to give a silencer more first-round pop.

Also, the baffle stack and tube on the Isis are made from aluminum. On a silencer like the Octane, the baffle stack is made from stainless steel and forms an inner tube when assembled, making the silencer much stronger than most others. SilencerCo did a test with the Octane where they fired three 30-round mags of full-auto 300 Blackout supersonic loads though it as fast as they could switch the mags, and there was only minor baffle damage. This tells me that the Octane will probably be fine if you accidentally put a few rounds of supersonic ammo through it. I doubt the same would be true with the Isis.
Old February 8, 2015, 12:14 PM   #34
Sharkbite

Theo is correct about the thread pitch on 45's...dont know what i was thinking

As to the can in question (again. No personal exp). I do have an all aluminum can (SWR Warlock II). The aluminum is harded to clean because you cant use some of the stronger methods. The "Dip" or SS pins in a tumbler are no goes. So its an elbow grease and tooth brush chore

My octane comes apart easy and i just dump the baffles into a tumbler with SS pins. 20-30 min later i take em out and they are CLEAN.
Old February 8, 2015, 11:04 PM   #35
skizzums

I have a mill and lathe and getting purty darn good with it. are you allowed to make new baffles once you have the can? are you allowed o totally change the design of the internals as long as the outside and number stay un-touched?
Old February 9, 2015, 12:27 AM   #36
Theohazard

Quote:
are you allowed to make new baffles once you have the can? are you allowed o totally change the design of the internals as long as the outside and number stay un-touched?
No to both. Baffles are considered silencer parts that are regulated like the silencer itself is. You can't change out baffles yourself or make new ones. If you ever need a baffle repaired or replaced, you need to send the entire silencer to a properly licensed manufacturer. If you somehow got ahold of an extra baffle, that would potentially make you eligible for a stint in federal prison.

I once talked to someone who told me about a catastrophic failure he once had on a silencer, the can blew up and some of the internal baffles were sent downrange into the desert and nobody could find them. So he tried to send the remains of the silencer in for warranty repair (it was covered), but the company refused to work on it until he sent in all the parts. It took a lot of time to convince the company that the other parts were completely lost; they finally just made him promise he would send in the remaining parts if he ever found them.
Old February 9, 2015, 12:34 AM   #37
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
The aluminum is harded to clean because you cant use some of the stronger methods. The "Dip" or SS pins in a tumbler are no goes. So its an elbow grease and tooth brush chore

My octane comes apart easy and i just dump the baffles into a tumbler with SS pins. 20-30 min later i take em out and they are CLEAN.
Another good point that I left out; stainless steel isn't just stronger than aluminum, but it's easier to clean for the reasons Shark mentioned.
Old February 9, 2015, 01:02 AM   #38
skizzums

wow, that's crazy, didn't know it would be regulated that hard on just making repairs of baffles. I will be going out tomorrow to find out if my regular ffl can transfer silencers. is the wait time still 9 monlths-ish? I have heard the wait times have dropped considerably, ut this ill be in my own personal name. no trust or business, so I heard it will take longer that way