The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 3, 2013, 08:18 PM   #1
ttarp

Anyone make

A Vietnam era M16 lookalike? Basically what I'd want is the fixed carry handle triangular handguard and as light as possible. If no one makes a complete rifle I assume I could build one myself?
Old September 3, 2013, 09:32 PM   #2
iraiam

I don't think they are made any more, but My Colt SP1 looks an awful lot like one, I saw a mint SP1 in a LGS a couple weeks ago but the price was pretty steep IMO.

I see there is some on Gunbroker also, but for more than I would personally be willing to pay for one.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old September 3, 2013, 10:45 PM   #3
Quentin2

A very, very close copy of the M16/M16A1 would be expensive but there are lots of good priced A1 style ARs out there if you don't mind some "modern" features that wouldn't be on a real A1. And maybe you could find repro triangular handguards if the rifle doesn't come with them.
Old September 4, 2013, 04:42 AM   #4
Jimro

Easy to build one. A1 style upper reciever, A1 style buttstock, 20" 1:12 pencil barrel with a three prong flash hider, and triangular hand guards and you are done.

None of those parts are particularly hard to come by.

Jimro
Old September 5, 2013, 07:30 AM   #5
gmarr

Look at the model from IOINC.US, looks pretty much like what you want
Old September 5, 2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Beretta686

As someone else pointed out they're rather easy to build.

My Colt M16A1 came with the Vietnam-era A1 furniture, which I sold rather quickly on GB so I could make mine into a de facto M4.

So they're out there, you just have to look. You may want to post on Sturmgewehr or Subguns.com where quite a few people have M16A1s, but no use for the A1 parts and are willing to let them go. Then you can just slap them on a regular lower and have a rather close copy.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old September 5, 2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Pahoo

Yep !!

Quote:
A Vietnam era M16 lookalike ?
Strange you should ask as I saw one yesterday at my Smith/Store. A customer had expressly asked for one for his Vietnam display, in his Man-Cave. ....

Be Safe !!!