The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 13, 2019, 01:27 PM   #51
cw308

Yes , I do use a piece of rug under the legs , the benchs I shoot off of are concrete . I still prefer a fixed Bi Pod .
Old May 2, 2019, 09:23 AM   #52
ninosdemente

To avoid starting a new thread. Looking to get a bipod for AR-15. Any recommendation? I purchased an M-Lok bipod mount. Should have just looked for a M-Lok bipod. Oh well, for what I already have on it have looked at Caldwell/Harris/Blackhawk at the store. Any big difference between them other than price. I have a bipod on a 22lr made from Caldwell. I have been using bags. At least for the Ar-15 want to get a bipod for it.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:35 AM   #53
rpseraph

Third Option! I like these:

https://www.amazon.com/d/Shooting-Ac...ock/B00GKM4O5O
Old May 2, 2019, 04:29 PM   #54
ninosdemente

Never seen one of those. How sturdy are those and does it work well with a 30rd magazine? How high are those? Interchangeable on sies? Thanks for the option.
Old May 4, 2019, 06:45 PM   #55
cw308

Last Sunday was the first time shooting this season , kind of on the cold side 50° shot OK but was nice seeing my shooting buddies . One of my friends had a new type of bi pod set up , it is a 1 1/2 " tube that runs under the stock to the tip of the barrel , looks like a granade launcher with legs . Very sturdy . First time I ever saw a bit pod like that . Shooting from a bench , all name brands are good . Take your pick .
Old May 20, 2019, 10:50 AM   #56
davidsog

Rice Sock (sandbag) or monopod.
Old May 21, 2019, 01:49 AM   #57
Pathfinder45

I shoot so little from a rest that I usually just throw my day-pack on the hood of my Ranger and maybe a folded jacket on top of that and it's good enough for me to sight in or even do some load evaluations. But then, I shoot in the woods. It's been years since I last shot at an actual rifle range. A bench rest is great for load work-ups. sighting in, and accuracy evaluations. But I prefer to shoot off-hand or kneeling, maybe sitting if the range is long and there is sufficient time to assume position. I have never shot any game from a benchrest; therefore, I practice for what is most likely to happen when hunting. I don't even own a bi-pod as I think it would be useless for hunting in the Pacific Northwest. Your world could be a lot different, though.
Old May 21, 2019, 09:01 AM   #58
rpseraph

Quote:
Never seen one of those. How sturdy are those and does it work well with a 30rd magazine? How high are those? Interchangeable on sies? Thanks for the option.
They are great! Very sturdy, and yes if you switch sides it has different height options. It is 8.5" x 6.5" x 3" The only downside is it doesn't really fit in a range bag (depending on your bag) but I just carry it down if I am going to spend extended time on a rest.
Don't just train your trigger finger... train how to use your medkit, train your mind with books, train your soul in church, train to be a better spouse, train to be a better parent. Be well-rounded, the world needs you to be.
Old June 3, 2019, 05:35 AM   #59
rms65

I prefer both. It depends on my rig. I use a Bipod on my heavier Varmint. I shoot it off a table for both practice and hunting. On my other lighter rifles that I carry into the woods I use bag. Not as a gun rest but to steady my left forearm. I'll sight those rifles sitting at a range bench shooting off my elbows. On some rifles I get a different zero between holding the rifle and a bipod. Particularly on lighter rifles with more recoil. I try to sight the guns in as close to the way they are used. On a good day, I can shoot as well leaning on bags as with a bipod. Some rifles better. For example my Tikka 7mm-08 with a bipod jumps too much on a bench. That said it will jump off bags too if you don't hold the forend.
Old June 3, 2019, 06:17 AM   #60
stagpanther

Quote:
For example my Tikka 7mm-08 with a bipod jumps too much on a bench. That said it will jump off bags too if you don't hold the forend.
I've experienced the same thing with my 7-08 BLR--your point of replicating the weapon hold as an important way to predict bullet impact is a very good one.
Old June 5, 2019, 10:13 PM   #61
cw308

Have you looked at the BiPod EXT from Accuracy Solutions . Something new in bipods.
Old June 5, 2019, 10:31 PM   #62
stagpanther

Looks interesting--but I suspect column flex on the carbon tube is still a factor.
Old June 5, 2019, 10:44 PM   #63
cw308

Two of my shooting friends have it setup on their AR's , they have it set even with the muzzle . Pretty solid , extended to the max may be a different story .
Old May 30, 2020, 10:21 PM   #64
Hunt3006

Fix for using bipod on hard surface

As some folks have noted here, the problem with using bipods on hard surfaces is the bounce that throws shots off. Upon recoil, the legs of the bipod get dragged backward, and bounce. The solution is to "load" the bipod so it is forward in the bipod slack, and then the rifle can recoil back without moving the legs. Expensive bipods provide the ability to load the bipod. Inexpensive ones are too stiff and therefore the legs drag backwards and bounce on the surface that fraction of an inch during the first part of recoil.
You can see this in the CVLIFE 6-9" bipod that costs less than $20 on Amazon, and the more expensive Harris bipods. The problem is that there is a hard stop on the legs that prevents backward movement and a tough spring holding against that.
My solution is to lighten up that spring so you can load the bipod against that stop and then let the rifle recoil against the spring without dragging the feet. Look at the attached picture. In the fully loaded position, the legs are angled forward relative to the line of the barrel. I simply lightened up that spring so it just barely but surely keeps the legs down, but there is enough slack to let it recoil without dragging the legs. As you can see, I used a small plastic tie to lengthen the spring about 3/4 inch - just enough to take slack out of the un-stretched spring. The first picture shows the bipod loaded against the stop. The second picture shows the rifle recoiled about an inch back. It's just enough. The spring holds the legs well in the folded condition too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Loaded.jpg (957.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Recoiled.jpg (848.5 KB, 29 views)
Old June 4, 2020, 01:47 PM   #65
kilotanker22

I don't know for sure. I use a front rest and rear bag for some of my stuff. On my Creedmoor, I use a Bi-pod and rear bag on the bench. I have no problem shooting .5" 10 shot groups off the concrete bench. I guess I should say that I shoot .5"-.8" 10 shot groups every time I take the rifle out. It really has to do with the foot material and shooting surface and how you load the bi-pod.

I don't really like shooting prone, because I have trouble getting comfortable with the bi-pod and rear bag I am using, but I do it anyway and practice from other field positions.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old June 13, 2020, 07:51 AM   #66
cw308

There are high end bi pods that competitors use but the majority of shooters good but not shooting that one hole group all the time , by pod or front rests using a rear bag comes down to what works for you . A good bi pod ( Harris) or front rest won't break the bank so give both a try . I started with sand bags for a front rest , then installed a pod which is a learning curve , how to set up and hold .. I shoot much better from a bi pod only because now I'm most comfortable with . You have to find out what works best for you . Heck, I like vanilla ice cream best.

Chris