The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 10, 2016, 04:06 PM   #1
BlackPowderBen

What Would You Pay For A 3rd Model Dragoon?

Saw a CVA imported Armi San Marcos 3rd model dragoon in seemingly good condition for sale. What would you pay for one of those?
Old February 10, 2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Hawg

For an ASM I wouldn't want to go over 250. Might go to 275 if like new.
Old February 10, 2016, 09:36 PM   #3
BlackPowderBen

Also saw a ASM engraved walker, didn't know there was engaved walkers ever made
Old February 11, 2016, 12:55 PM   #4
swathdiver

I'm with Hawg. Only time you go over that is if it comes with the shoulder stock, those sell for $900.
Old February 12, 2016, 06:12 AM   #5
bprevolver

1851 3rd Model Dragoon Variations

First, realize that Armi San Marco was the only company to produce any of the large or small frame replica Colt revolvers. They started in around 1963 with the 1847 Walker. It was not until after the Colt production of these revolvers that Uberti started to produce them in the late 1980's-2000. Colt produced the very desirable Fluted Cylinder version as well as the Cosiese Commemorative among others.

The price of a 3rd Model Dragoon will depend upon both condition and what Variation it is. In my research I have identified eight different variations of 3rd Model Dragoons not cut for shoulder stock (NCSS) and eleven variations that are cut for shoulder stock (CSS). Next is the Sights. These vary from the plain notch in hammer and front sight to flip up sight on rear of barrel and front sight.

Most all 3rd Model Dragoons have a 7 1/2" Barrel. However, the one exception is the 18" Barrel Model that originally came with a steel hardware shoulder stock and a holster. This model was also fitted with a anodized brass hardware stock at the very end of the production run when the steel hardware stock became unavailable. Brass hardware stocks were also available for any 3rd Model Dragoon CSS as an accessory.

The RPRCA collection had at one time all of these variations. Several years back a replica steel hardware stock sold on Ebay as a replica for $800. I have never sold one of these for less than $900 for the stock alone and $1295 for the 18" barrel revolver, anodized brass stock and holster. With the steel stock they sold for $1500 for the set. I have sold three of the steel stocks for $900-$1100 just for the stock. Let me add that I did not have these on the market but the buyers contacted me and I let them set the price. These were Colt collectors who wanted the stock to fill a hole in their collection, knowing that an original stock, if found, who cost them $5000 up.

I have been inactive for the last 2+ years due to both health and forced to move (moving 1050 guns, library, etc was a chore). VA diagnosed my illness as old age which is common among Old Farts. It is something that I am adjusting to and will be watching the Forums more in the future. I am working on bringing the RPRCA web site more up to date but with the Windows XP no longer supported I am having to improvise. Of course, to operate in the Windows 10 version I would be forced to buy another computer and all new software. At 81yrs old and a retarded learning curve this would not be feasible, so I will improvise.
Old February 12, 2016, 06:18 AM   #6
gyvel

What Would You Pay For A 3rd Model Dragoon?

So what are the Colt 2nd and 3rd gens worth, then?
SIFE
Old February 12, 2016, 09:28 AM   #7
Hawg

Hey bprevolver glad to see you again.
Old February 12, 2016, 09:38 AM   #8
Ricklin

Windows XP

Welcome back bp!
It is interesting to note that pretty much all the bank ATM's plus thousands of other "embedded" PC's are running good old XP.
If you choose to stay with it make sure you have very good anti virus software. The biggest reason it is "gone" is no security updates from MS. I am upgrading to Win 10 over the weekend for my primary machine, still have a couple XP boxes in the house.
Old February 12, 2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Welcome back to the forums Jim. You've been gone too long.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce