The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 3, 2016, 01:27 PM   #1
BlackPowderBen

Cap and ball revolver loading stand

Have any of you made a display/loading stand for your black powder revolver? (Not the cylinder loaders). If so, would you mind telling me how you did it?
Thanks!
Old February 3, 2016, 03:56 PM   #2
swathdiver

Lots of photos of them over at the muzzleloading forum, including ours.

Ours are more for shooting than display. The bases are made from 1" (3/4") pine, 3-1/2" - 4" wide and 10-11" long. About 2" from one end a vertical piece of pine the same width and about 4" high is glued and screwed. Before installing however, it is cut out in the center with hole saw and a little further down for the hammers. On the base, about 3" or so from the vertical piece an indentation is made into the wood for the stock (grips) to dig into. We also add another piece of wood with cut outs for lead and wads.

There are plenty of plans on the web, lots of variations. My girls like making them, they're simple and quick to make.
Old February 3, 2016, 05:14 PM   #3
Pahoo

Lots of options and fun to make

Ben, I have made a number of these and the general shape is similar to an ankle and foot. I have thought about making plans but all the ones I have made, are always a bit different. When making one, make sure you add a heel, for added stability. If you go on Ebay you will see a number of variations. You can use a variety of woods and options. It's enjoyable coming up with your own design. If you make a folder, be sure you can lock it in the open position. .......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folding-Pine...0AAOSwEeFVTUhC

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old February 4, 2016, 07:34 PM   #4
Model12Win

You could make one of them for less than $10 in no time. Wouldn't take more than an hour.
Old February 5, 2016, 08:36 AM   #5
kwhi43

This is what I use

Old February 14, 2016, 04:28 PM   #6
bprevolver

Antique Revolver Stand

Here is a copy of an old antique revolver stand that a guy used to make around twenty years ago. He lived in Colorado and would display his various designs at gun shows. Back then they sold for around $95.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Loading Stand Lt Ft 100%.jpg (47.0 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg Loading Stand Lt Rear 100%.jpg (51.8 KB, 233 views)
Old February 14, 2016, 07:42 PM   #7
Model12Win

Man, that's a little overkill. How heavy is that thing?

I wonder what the old cowboys would say if they saw all us comfy shooters with our fancy trick loading stands and accouterments.
Old February 14, 2016, 09:46 PM   #8
BlackPowderBen

I wonder what the old cowboys would say if they saw all us comfy shooters with our fancy trick loading stands and accouterments.

They'd probally load up the slow way, and then "when they had to shoot, they'd shoot, not talk.
Old February 14, 2016, 11:05 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Probably walk away laughing at the city slickers.
Old February 15, 2016, 01:36 AM   #10
hartcreek

Seems like there was this same thread last month......am I the only one that uses the search function?
Old February 15, 2016, 12:00 PM   #11
Fingers McGee

All of the stands shown place all the stress on the arbor of an opentop. These stands do not, and are easy to make, use and store.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 16, 2016, 08:07 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Learnt something new today Fingers.