The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 23, 2019, 03:13 PM   #26
zincwarrior

You forgot the most important reply: bacon is delicious!
Old May 23, 2019, 03:34 PM   #27
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by zincwarrior View Post
You forgot the most important reply: bacon is delicious!
....especially pocket bacon.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old May 23, 2019, 03:42 PM   #28
zincwarrior

Tactical bacon!

To the topic. Pocket carry is not for me, but that does not mean others may find that the best solution for them. Just make sure you practice actually drawing it out from a variety of positions and quickly.
Old May 24, 2019, 01:17 PM   #29
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle View Post
A properly made and properly fitted pocket holster will NEVER come out with the gun. I repeat, NEVER.
Get in touch with Robert Mika Holsters, and order one with the square bottom, and one with the round bottom made for the gun you will be carrying, and the shape of your pants pocket. Your problem will be permanently solved.
I Have been using them for 10 years and have never had one draw with the gun.
These look like good products. So the grip of the weapon doesn't print? I'm sure it depends on the pants, but it often seems like the pockets on dress pants will flare open a bit on the top and could give a pretty clear view of the grip of a gun.

I have a minuscule Beretta Pico and it would seem like a great choice for a pocket holster, but I haven't found any I especially like
Old May 24, 2019, 04:30 PM   #30
stephen426

I carried a Kahr PM9 in a Desantis Super Fly. The tacky surface on the outside of the holster makes it "stick" to the pocket while the gun comes out. When you get too much pocket lint stuck to it, toss it in the was and let it air dry. It also has some extra material to break up the outline of the gun and to catch on the bottom of the pocket.

I ended up switching to a Glock 43 and I carry inside of the waistband now. It is much easier to conceal now, faster to draw from, and more comfortable. It helps to have love handles. LOL
Old May 25, 2019, 05:20 AM   #31
chaim

My biggest issue with pocket carry is... I already use both pockets. I carry around enough stuff in my front pockets that I need both. Wallet (I long ago moved away from putting my wallet in my rear pocket -I have too bad a back to sit on my wallet anymore), house keys, car keys, work/classroom keys go in one pocket. In the other I have a pen (I'm a teacher, I always have a pen or two), Kleenex (I'm a teacher, I always have a pocket pack of Kleenex), knife (when not at work), pill box (for Advil, Tylenol, and diabetes meds if it will be a long enough day that I'll be out when I need my evening dose), and lip balm in the winter. I already carry a bag/case for my insulin and blood glucose monitor. So, I have to leave a lot back at home, or get a fanny pack, when I want to do pocket carry. I can do it occasionally, but it will never be my regular mode of carry (currently, when in a state that honors my UT non-resident permit, and hopefully soon, when the courts force MD and the rest of the may-issue states to go shall issue).
Old May 25, 2019, 07:19 AM   #32
stephen426

I carried my wallet in front of my gun to break up the outline. Make sure you aren't wearing tight fitting pants and have big pockets. Wearing dark colored pants helps hide bulges better than light colored pants too.
Old May 25, 2019, 08:19 AM   #33
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaim
My biggest issue with pocket carry is... I already use both pockets. I carry around enough stuff in my front pockets that I need both.
That is one of my big issues with pocket carry as well and why it tends to get relegated to “around the house” carry and cargo shorts with lots of pocketses.

To help mitigate this, I’ve taken to what I call my “utility keychain” (inspired by Batman’s utility belt; but focused on a more compact EDC size ). I’ve got a tiny carabiner (to add/remove quickly) with a Roxyvon Aurora flashlight, a Leatherman Mini or M4 Sebertool, and a Swiss Army Cadet. So, on a keychain I have a multitool, 500 lumen flashlight, and a pocket knife.

As a bonus, I’ve been to a couple of sporting events with “no knives” policies and while they’ve insisted I check my 3” pocket knife, they’ve never given me grief about the multitool or Cadet. Which I’m thankful for since I generally regard a knife as a useful tool rather than a weapon and this fetishism to “protect” people by denying them commonly used tools annoys me greatly.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:46 AM   #34
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426 View Post
I carried my wallet in front of my gun to break up the outline. Make sure you aren't wearing tight fitting pants and have big pockets. Wearing dark colored pants helps hide bulges better than light colored pants too.
I don't wear tight clothes, but what pants are you wearing where the pockets are big enough for a pistol and a wallet?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 25, 2019, 12:31 PM   #35
Leaf

Quote:
I don't wear tight clothes, but what pants are you wearing where the pockets are big enough for a pistol and a wallet?
A wallet on top of a LCP or similar in a pocket? I was a bit puzzled by that comment too. Overalls or maybe overalls and a cape?
Old May 25, 2019, 02:09 PM   #36
Bill DeShivs

Some guys have huge pockets, apparently.
"I carry a Beretta 92 in my pocket."
"I carry a J frame in my pocket."
I carry an LCP in my WATCH POCKET."
Old May 25, 2019, 11:01 PM   #37
Bartholomew Roberts

Eh, TFL appears to be a forum populated by mutants. They are 6’4” and 275 pounds with Mickey Mouse hands that are too big for a P365; and yet they can’t possibly pocket carry a Glock 26 like I’ve been doing for a decade now.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:13 AM   #38
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I remember Jan Libourel writing about carrying a full-sized pistol (I think it was a 1911) in his pants pocket wrapped in some kind of rag to break up the outline.

Either another gunwriter, or maybe someone who wrote in with a letter, commented that although people might not be able to tell that it was a gun in his pocket, they might think he had a can of pork and beans in there. Obviously deriding him for his less than practical carry solution.

I use all my pockets for things I can't carry other ways, so pocket carry isn't a good option for me.

Also, although no one would accuse me of wearing tight clothes, I don't wear my clothes anywhere near loose enough to carry a gun in my pocket in such a way that I would be able to reasonably access it in anything like a semblance of alacrity. I also don't wear them loose enough that I could reasonably easily walk around with my hand in my pocket on my gun to try to make my draw a little faster.

I have carried in a coat pocket, but I wasn't happy with that for a number of reasons--not the least of which, I can't reasonably wear a coat for most of the year, and I take my coat off inside because it's uncomfortably hot.

Maybe if I switched to wearing some other kind of pants with much larger pockets, things would be different.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:42 AM   #39
Bartholomew Roberts

Glock 26 with Galco pocket holster and Duluth Trading Fire Hose cargo shorts. These pictures show the pistol concealed, me with a master grip, and view looking down into the pocket just in case Joe Biden stealths up behind me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 08AFEB37-AE87-4ED6-B7D9-9E9DD9782249.jpeg (59.8 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpeg CE06EADF-6682-462C-8DD1-DADB93F6C826.jpeg (72.9 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpeg 8118C4FC-7A92-4128-B60D-A75FE401F8EB.jpeg (225.8 KB, 280 views)

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; May 26, 2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:21 PM   #40
Mobuck

"Pocket carry is one of those things that tends to work out well on the range and not so well in reality."
Well, there it is. Someone actually knows what he's saying.
Old May 27, 2019, 06:03 AM   #41
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, then... maybe some of those who “know what they are saying” can tell us their experiences with pocket carry - what works, what didn’t, the type of gear they were using, and the specific types of problems they encountered.

I think we all agree that standing around with your strong hand in your pocket can be fairly dangerous if someone is close enough to hit/grapple you. And that the speed advantage is only there if you can assume a master grip covertly, so it isn’t a great solution for being surprised. However, say if you were a clerk working behind a convenience store counter, where you have a barrier between you and the public and you see some suspicious people come in, pocket carry lets you assume a master grip quietly and a socially acceptable way. Customers might well wonder what you have in your pocketses but they are unlikely to react the same way as if you grabbed the butt of an OWB/IWB rig and stood there.

However, it would be great if people shared their knowledge instead of their opinion, since as TFL regularly demonstrates, we offen form different opinions based on the same experience. Describing the experience that helped you form the opinion is more useful than just sharing the opinion.

If my only experience with pocket carry was using the same pistol and holster( but wearing the Duluth Armachillo shorts instead of the Fire Hose, I’d have a completely different opinion because that combo is unworkable for me. It’s not even fast when you start with your hand on the pistol because you can’t get the pistol out. If I tried it with sweat pants I’d think sagging and zero retention.

But I’d love to hear experiences, even the bad ones help others from repeating that same set of mistakes.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:01 AM   #42
reteach

I've written about this in other threads, but here goes:

I'm in the camp of "better to have it with you than leave it at home." When I carry, it's almost always in my right front pocket. It's almost always a Glock 42 in a Sticky holster. I live in an open carry state but I don't want to open carry or do anything else that scares the populace. Pocket carry makes that easier.

I know I'm not going to win a quick draw competition. I can have my hand in my pocket without looking threatening. "Nothing happening here. Just walking around with my hands in my pockets."

I put some things on my belt that would otherwise go into my pocket. My phone and a reload ride in owb belt pouches. I don't care about the populace seeing those. They will not recognize the reload. I also have a couple of pairs of pants that have an extra pocket on the right side, behind the "normal" pocket. But even with pants that don't have extra pockets, my method of pocket carry works fine for me.

Two things do concern me, and they have both been pointed out here - it's hard to draw from a seated position, and it's pretty near impossible to draw with my left hand. But, I have my pistol with me more often than not, so there's that.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:28 PM   #43
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
"I carry a Beretta 92 in my pocket."
"I carry a J frame in my pocket."
I carry an LCP in my WATCH POCKET."
Wrangler relaxed fit cargo shorts/pants available at Wal-Mart.
I can easily pocket carry a Kahr PM/ Glock 43 and its near invisible due to my chronically untucked shirt, which also conceals the pistol on my belt.
Old May 27, 2019, 03:12 PM   #44
KyJim

I prefer to carry in a waistband holster, but that is often not practical, so I'm left with pocket carry. For me, it is now usually a Kahr CM9, Sig P238, or Ruger LCP. The Kahr for larger pockets like some cargo shorts and the Sig or Ruger in everything else.

Like reteach, I carry a sticky holster and never had one come out of my pocket unless I wanted it to do so. Maybe it's the way I draw the pistol. For awhile, I consciously pulled the pistol so there would be just a bit of pressure to make the holster press against my leg during the draw. Now it's second nature. It also helps to have a holster that is big enough that it naturally creates a bit of resistance to being drawn from the pocket. By no means, however, am I a quick-draw artist.
Old May 28, 2019, 07:51 AM   #45
Ricklin

Let's go back in time

I like pocket carry.

Mae West had it right, is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?
Old May 28, 2019, 07:56 AM   #46
jmorris

Quote:
Can Pocket Carry Be Beat? Observations from the Laser Range.

My typical rig is a Glock 19 in a Sparks Versa-Max 2. At seven yards, I am at a pretty consistent 1.8-2.0 to get an A-zone hit on the head of an IPSC target.
1.8-2 seconds is a long time to get one shot off at close range.

Maybe look at people that hold records putting firearms into use. I can’t think of one that draws from a pocket.

Some were quick though, you might not even be able to put your fingers on your pocket pistol before Mr Munden, had already drawn, fired and reholstered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hujvVmuLuoM
Old May 28, 2019, 01:43 PM   #47
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel Rat
It isn't as hard as you guys might imagine. I wear pleated pants that have fairly large pockets. I prefer Brooks Brothers Chinos. I try to keep my wallet fairly thin. Like I said, dark colors help conceal a lot. I have switched to strong side with the Techna Clip. I know you all think I am going to give myself Glock Leg one of these days, but that is how I carry.
Old May 28, 2019, 02:24 PM   #48
jfruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR
"Well, then... maybe some of those who “know what they are saying” can tell us their experiences with pocket carry - what works, what didn’t, the type of gear they were using, and the specific types of problems they encountered."
I 'know what I'm saying,' but what I say might not be worth a plugged nickel. You be the judge.

Been pocket carrying since about 1990. If I can manage it I prefer strong side belt, but sometimes pocket is the best way to go. It works for me when a 1911 on a belt is not an option.

Guns successfully pocket carried for a length of time
Beretta 21A .22LR
AMT .45ACP DAO Backup .45ACP
Kel-Tec P-40 .40S&W
Kel-Tec P-32 .32ACP
J-frame .38spl, .357mag (Pocket carry this the most)
1911 Officer's ACP 9mm

Pants used for pocket carry (long & short)
Loose fit blue jeans (Second most common)
Loose fit Khakis (Most common)
Cargo shorts of various sorts
Loose fit denim shorts
Tuxedo pants
Speedos(1)
"Tactical" pants & shorts

Pocket holsters / carry devices used for a period of time
Various Uncle Mikes pocket holsters. Sizes 1-4 IIRC.
Galco horsehide made for Walther PPK (I do not own any Walthers)
Aker horsehide made especially for AMT .45ACP DAOBU
Some horsehide model made especially for S&W J-frames (Most used)
A better-than-uncle-mikes synthetic that is stickier
Handkerchief
Folded up card stock

===================

Many of the above combos (gun+pants+holster) work. Others don't. It is good to have a variety of guns & holsters to suit whatever pants you happen to wear that day. To get the most out of the carry concept you might have to put in some thought.

Various comments & notes

If you come across a quality large-ish horsehide pocket holster for a semi-auto on sale, might want to pick it up. For example, the Galco horsehide made for the Walther can tote my Kel-tec P-40, AMT .45aCP DAO, or 1911 OACP in the right non-cargo pocket, as the pockets were cut deep and wide. And keep them oriented. Put a mag or two in the off-side cargo pocket and your are well-armed, especially with the 1911.

Sometimes that Galco holster is better for my AMT DAOBU than the fitted Aker unit. The Galco is square-bottomed and Aker is round-bottomed. One works better than the other depending on the pocket.

My pocket carry used to be more varied, but nowadays a S&W J-frame does the duty 75% of the time. With a Crimson Trace laser, it can hit in low light & at range. Underwood's +P FBI load is potent. I usually have a speed strip of them along, in a speed strip carrier made of leather.

If I need ultra-conceal-ability, the Kel-Tec P-32 gets the nod. It is lighter & thinner than the Beretta 21A.

While seated in a car, drawing from strong side sucks. Drawing from pocket sucks more & is nigh impossible to do quickly.

About the only size/config pocket pistol I lack is a slim 9mm single stack. Something like the SIG P938 or the new pocketable Glock. I keep telling my wife she needs a SIG P938. (So I can borrow it upon occasion.)

Good luck.

(1) Just kidding, I would never inflict that sight on innocent bystanders.
Old May 29, 2019, 06:18 AM   #49
Mobuck

I'm saying that the only time pocket carry works is when the carrier is standing.
I can beat you senseless with a soda straw before you can draw from pocket carry while seated in a vehicle, a restaurant booth, or any other scenario in which you can't stand upright immediately.
Old May 29, 2019, 06:57 AM   #50
USNRet93

Quote:
But I’d love to hear experiences, even the bad ones help others from repeating that same set of mistakes.
Carried a Taurus M380 and Glock 42 in the pocket using a 'ClipDraw' clip, in RH pocket with keys in left pocket. LONG DAO trigger of M380 makes it safe, IMHO and if I want to have ne in the chamber in the Glock, I use a trigger cover with lanyard..otherwise no round in the pipe. Pic of Taurus..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4105 copy.jpg (43.0 KB, 20 views)

"Tools not Trophies”