The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 27, 2016, 07:54 PM   #26
deerslayer303

Good Point Driftwood, I've never NOT disassembled my smoke poles after shooting. And to be honest there has been a many times I wanted to go shoot them but then said to myself "nah, not today don't feel like cleaning them afterward" SO maybe this will allow more powder to be burnt. Now what is the mix for the Murphy's mix. I believe this is the first I've heard of it. Or maybe it slipped my mind.
Old November 27, 2016, 10:14 PM   #27
rodwhaincamo

Quote:
Never had any is all I can say and I live two hours from the coast and the humidity is often higher than the temp
I must say I'm a bit at a loss for why you don't seem to have issues. I did a very minimal swabbing and had issues by the next morning despite being kept indoors where the humidity is much lower than our high humidity, though no doubt a little lower than yours.

But this fellas test showed that Pyrodex is certainly more corrosive than BP when the conditions allow for corrosion.

I'm still baffled why it is you don't seem to have issues even if days go by despite being in a more humid than most area, and the only thing that makes even a little sense would be the lube you use. Your fouling has to be mixing with something if many have issues and you have none. What are you using? And do you do nothing after your last shot before you clean it properly?
Old November 27, 2016, 11:49 PM   #28
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Now what is the mix for the Murphy's mix. I believe this is the first I've heard of it. Or maybe it slipped my mind.
Murphy's Mix is equal parts Murphy's Oil Soap, drugstore Rubbing Alcohol or Isopropyl Alcohol, and drugstore Hydrogen Per Oxide. You can buy them all at any well stocked supermarket. I buy 1 quart of each at a time and mix them together in a opaque 3 quart juice jug. You want the jug to be opaque to prevent light from decomposing the Per Oxide.

Last bottle of alcohol I bought was 91% alcohol, the rest is water. Hydrogen Per Oxide is about 3% Peroxide, the rest is water. No, Hydrogen Per Oxide will not rust your guns, despite what some folks think. The concentration is way too low. The water is what does all the dissolving of the BP fouling, the alcohol helps it dry quicker, the Per Oxide adds a little bit of fizz to help lift stubborn fouling, and the oil soap leaves behind the oily residue I spoke about. And you can use it cold, you don't have to heat it. When done, just leave it inside the gun, no need to try to remove it.