The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 27, 2016, 09:58 PM   #1
Colduglandon

Cap and ball Cleaing tube for muzzleloading guns

New to flintlocks. Has anyone used a Capandball Cleaing tube for muzzleloading guns. Its a company in Hungary. Saw their video on Youtube. Seems like a quick way to clean the barrel after black powder shooting without a lot of mess. I have a percussion cap CVA rifle but I have only used substitute powders. I understand that you must use black powder in a flintlock. I ordered a full stock musket so removing the barrel to clean it with soap and water is prohibitive every time I shoot it. Any thoughts. Thanks
Old January 27, 2016, 10:37 PM   #2
Hawg

All you need is a piece of aquarium tubing that fits the nipple,a bore mop and a five gallon bucket of water. You may need to weigh the tubing down. The bore mop will pull water up the bore and force it back out the nipple with pretty good pressure. A good tight patch on a jag will work too but I prefer bore mops.
Old January 27, 2016, 10:38 PM   #3
Bishop Creek

Not sure what a Capandball Cleaing tube is, but I used a cleaning tube on my flintlock when I had it and it worked great. Fit over the flash hole. Think is was sold by Track of the Wolf. Rifle is long gone now, but still have the cleaning tube.

Edit: This is similar to what I have, it just claps over your flash hole with the octagon brass fitting on the barrel. Very simple.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego.../1/FLUSH-FLINT

Last edited by Bishop Creek; January 27, 2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old January 27, 2016, 10:49 PM   #4
Colduglandon

I don't have the weapon yet. Is it a matter of removing the flash hole liner and screwing in a nipple as an adapter for the end of the hose? I looked on Track of the Wolf didn't see a cleaning tube, will check again. Just started looking into maintenance gun was ordered today. New ground for me. Thanks for responding.
Old January 27, 2016, 11:25 PM   #5
Colduglandon

Thank you for the link
Old January 27, 2016, 11:43 PM   #6
Bishop Creek

My flintlock was custom made with no flash hole liner, just a straight bored in touch hole and the cleaning tubed worked just fine with it. So I'm sure it would work with any flintlock.
Old January 28, 2016, 10:00 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've used a coffee can (remember when they were metal?) and poured the hot water down the barrel. With a wet patch, I pump water in/out of the bore to flush it.
Old January 30, 2016, 07:36 AM   #8
Colduglandon

I read that it's a good practice to coat the underside of the barell with waterpump grease once a year to prevent rust any advice on that.
Old January 30, 2016, 03:13 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

There was an article about this in one of the gun rags about 30 or more years ago.
Any flexible tubing will do. And a bucket of warm soapy water. Cleaning rod and patch act like a pump with the tube on the nipple.
Old January 30, 2016, 03:18 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd use pure beeswax for the underside of the barrel as well as the stock's barrel channel.
Old January 30, 2016, 04:12 PM   #11
Bishop Creek

Quote:
T. O'Heir: There was an article about this in one of the gun rags about 30 or more years ago.
Any flexible tubing will do. And a bucket of warm soapy water. Cleaning rod and patch act like a pump with the tube on the nipple.
That works well with a percussion rifle, but with a flintlock with no nipple, the brass bracket that goes around the barrel helps hold the tube tightly in place as shown in my link above.
Old February 2, 2016, 01:19 AM   #12
Colduglandon

I have beeswax thanks, I ordered cleaning tube and clamp setup from Track of Wolf.