The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 23, 2013, 01:03 PM   #1
dataz722

Need holster and mag pouch suggestions for informal "competition"

I just learned that a local indoor range does a weekly informal competition for charity. I don't have many details about it other than just what is on their website. http://www.shooterschoicede.com/thur...charity-shoot/

It sounds like fun and since I would like to get into real competition shooting in the future it sounds like it would be a good trial for me. Only problem is that I don't have a holster and have actually never even drawn from a holster so I have no idea what I should get, same thing for the mag pouches.

I have a ruger p85 and have been looking at the uncle mike's and fobus but both seem to get quite a few mixed reviews.

I am not looking to spend much on it for now so are there any suggestions for what would work well?

Thanks.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:45 AM   #2
MTSCMike

Fobus for cheap...Blade Tech if you can go up a few bucks.
Old March 24, 2013, 12:27 PM   #3
dataz722

Thanks, I'll take a look at the blade tech stuff.
Old March 24, 2013, 12:40 PM   #4
dataz722

Can anyone tell me the difference between these?

http://www.amazon.com/Fobus-Holster-...ords=fobus+p85

http://www.amazon.com/Fobus-Roto-Hol...ords=fobus+p85

http://www.amazon.com/Fobus-Standard...ords=fobus+p85

Thanks.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:12 PM   #5
SauerGrapes

From what I can tell from the descriptions. The standard is passive retention, where it just snaps over the trigger guard.

The roto feature allows for adjusting the cant{angle}at which the gun is positioned. It will also sit farther away from the body, which isn't ideal for conceal carry but would be suitable for your purpose. This one is the same as the standard holster, but with the cant adjustment.

The other from what I gather allows for some amount of retention adjustment. Another words, you can adjust how easy or hard it is to remove the gun from the holster. It really looks identical to the standard but probably has an adjustment screw.

Anyone of them would work. I bought a standard Fobus for my 5906 when I was going to try USPSA. When going thru the safety check, the first time I drew my weapon, the holster came with it right out of my pants. {lol} Make sure your belt is cinched tight enough.

Go have fun, listen to what the range officer tells you. Just take your time, and be safe. Remember, finger out of the trigger guard when not shooting.
Make sure you have 4 mags, minimum. You might want to pick up a couple cheap double mag pouches also

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 24, 2013, 07:43 PM   #6
dataz722

Thanks. I noticed the rotation on the two but didn't see anything about the retention.

For mag pouches I was thinking about just going with this one to start with. I know it isn't going to be the best for speed but just to start with and see if this is something that I want to spend more money on I don't see why it wouldn't work. Any big reason I shouldn't use this aside from speed?

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Pistol-Pou...magazine+pouch

I do have 3 mags as it is now and will eventually get another but that will have to wait a little while.

Thanks a ton for the advice.
Old March 25, 2013, 07:24 PM   #7
SauerGrapes

I forgot you said these were just informal matches. 3 mags will probably be enough. I doubt they will have any stages needing more rounds.

Go with your selected pouch. You can always just flip the flaps over and tuck them in your belt or behind the mags. If you decide you like it, you can upgrade your gear later.

Go have fun. I think you'll find it's a lot more fun than just punching paper.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 26, 2013, 01:01 AM   #8
allaroundhunter

deleted... double post

Last edited by allaroundhunter; March 26, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old March 26, 2013, 01:03 AM   #9
allaroundhunter

I prefer Comp Tac:

http://www.comp-tac.com/

You can get some pretty cool holsters, or you can go plain and spend a little less money.

I have used them for USPSA, IDPA and 3 gun and they are great. You can adjust the retention with an allen wrench, and the kydex is very durable and well formed to your specific firearm. You can also adjust the cant of the holster and get a paddle or a belt attachment (or both).

Old March 26, 2013, 02:15 PM   #10
dataz722

Quote:
I forgot you said these were just informal matches. 3 mags will probably be enough. I doubt they will have any stages needing more rounds.

Go with your selected pouch. You can always just flip the flaps over and tuck them in your belt or behind the mags. If you decide you like it, you can upgrade your gear later.

Go have fun. I think you'll find it's a lot more fun than just punching paper.
That was pretty much my thought exactly.

Quote:
I prefer Comp Tac:

http://www.comp-tac.com/

You can get some pretty cool holsters, or you can go plain and spend a little less money.

I have used them for USPSA, IDPA and 3 gun and they are great. You can adjust the retention with an allen wrench, and the kydex is very durable and well formed to your specific firearm. You can also adjust the cant of the holster and get a paddle or a belt attachment (or both).
I'll take a look at that, but I already ordered the fobus. Maybe for the future though. Thanks.
Old March 27, 2013, 12:38 AM   #11
StrangeBird1911

If you are not used to drawing from a holster and re-holstering, do some practice at first with an unloaded gun. Best if you can have a buddy watch you. You want to make sure that you are not getting you support hand in front of the muzzle. It's easy to do if you need to get clothes out of the way to re-holster.

Also, pay attention to where your support hand is while drawing. It's possible to put your support hand out in front of you before the gun gets there--possible but bad. You might want to go through a few dozen draws standing in front of a mirror, going in slow motion. If you have a video camera you can put on a tripod, you can self-evaluate.

Just be sure you can safely draw and re-holster before you try it with ammo in the gun.

Oh, and when you get to the event, tell the range officer that you're new; he'll watch you carefully to make sure everything is safe.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:39 AM   #12
dataz722

Quote:
If you are not used to drawing from a holster and re-holstering, do some practice at first with an unloaded gun. Best if you can have a buddy watch you. You want to make sure that you are not getting you support hand in front of the muzzle. It's easy to do if you need to get clothes out of the way to re-holster.

Also, pay attention to where your support hand is while drawing. It's possible to put your support hand out in front of you before the gun gets there--possible but bad. You might want to go through a few dozen draws standing in front of a mirror, going in slow motion. If you have a video camera you can put on a tripod, you can self-evaluate.

Just be sure you can safely draw and re-holster before you try it with ammo in the gun.

Oh, and when you get to the event, tell the range officer that you're new; he'll watch you carefully to make sure everything is safe.
I actually did do that and practiced mag changes for about 30-45 minutes or so when I got it.

I went last night and did fairly well for my first time, or so I think at least. A really good group of guys there.

Only problem I had was with the holster. The gun would not go all the way into it and if it was forced in like it should have been it was nearly impossible. to get it out. It actually took me hitting the holster with something to dislodge it. I thought maybe it was just me and it was still pretty secure with it not in there the entire way, the trigger just wasn't covered. Someone there noticed it last night and said something to me about it. When I showed them what I was talking about they couldn't even get it out no matter how hard the tried and even with two of them pulling on it together and one of them is actually an instructor so it wasn't just something I was doing wrong.

It didn't much matter anyway too much last night since of course everything had to be completely empty unless you were on the line and they wouldn't have let me draw from the holster anyway since I was new. They did tell me to make sure I get a new one before coming back though.

Already processed the return with Amazon and that will be going back Monday. So now I am back to square one. What else can I get that will be about the same price range as the Fobus? I don't really want to spend too much at this point yet. I wouldn't be opposed to any generic fit ones that would work decent either.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:40 PM   #13
SauerGrapes

Sorry to hear about your holster.
I just don't have much experience with inexpensive holsters. I'm a leather holster guy except for my Comp-Tac holsters that I use for USPSA.
I have one inexpensive holster from Galco. It's plastic or Kydex. {Matrix I think} For under $30, it's at least decent.
I wouldn't waste a nickel on a generic nylon holster. Maybe check out Blackhawk or Tague holsters.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 30, 2013, 09:11 AM   #14
Jim Watson

"Informal" does not mean "get by with cheap junk."

Blade Tech makes an injection molded holster at a lower price than their formed Kydex, but only for a few models of gun. Look for their Revolution holsters for $30. I don't see it for your Ruger, though.

Uncle Mike's plastic are better than Fobus.
Old March 30, 2013, 09:16 AM   #15
dataz722

Thanks for the advice again. I was looking at the blackhawk serpa and that does seem to get good reviews.

I know informal doesn't have to mean cheap, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on stuff unless I know it is something I will be doing regularly or more seriously.
Old March 30, 2013, 01:22 PM   #16
Jim Watson

Blackhawk is OK.
Get the CQB without trigger finger latch.
Old March 30, 2013, 03:08 PM   #17
lmccrock

Quote:
Get the CQB without trigger finger latch.
Yes, the Blackhawk Serpa has been banned from a few clubs and ranges. Not many, but during the draw, some shooters have forgotten to lift their fingers from the release button and said fingers slip into the pistol trigger guard as the draw completes and BANG! So check with your local club.

Agree with MTSCMike
Quote:
Fobus for cheap...Blade Tech if you can go up a few bucks.
The roto Fobus can be a problem. Make sure you carry a tool to tighten the screw; mine came loose and holster+gun rotated on my belt. Gun stayed in, but might not have always.