The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 21, 2014, 05:10 PM   #51
P5 Guy

Sue the school board for not providing a safe environment, or proper security.
Old December 21, 2014, 07:23 PM   #52
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It therefore follows that one purpose of the lawsuit would indeed be to focus a national conversation on the adoption of "safe technologies" that create "smart guns" that will only function for specific operators.
Ultimately, they only care about "smart" guns to the extent that the implementation will punish the illusionary "gun lobby."

That was the undercurrent to last year's post-Newtown "conversation." The idea was to create an imaginary juggernaut (mostly the NRA) upon which to blame their failures to get legislation passed. Then they can play the martyr/underdog card when it blocks their proposals from passing.

This is an extension of that. These lawyers don't want to punish Bushmaster for Sandy Hook; they want to punish Bushmaster for simply being a gun manufacturer.
Old January 13, 2015, 12:05 PM   #53
2ndsojourn

From Crankgrinder:
"If anybody needs to be [sued] it's the school for not providing adequate security,..."

Well, it happened.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/san...64Wt?ocid=iehp

Only two families involved so far, that's a start. But we all know who the real culprit is.

The article states that one teacher in particular (a substitute teacher that day) didn't have a key to lock the door.
Old January 13, 2015, 01:42 PM   #54
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Only two families involved so far, that's a start. But we all know who the real culprit is.
The sad irony is that those plaintiffs will be criticized for bringing an opportunistic and predatory lawsuit by the same people who are bringing an opportunistic and predatory lawsuit against Bushmaster.

I brought this up in another venue a few months after Sandy Hook. When I suggested some responsibility on behalf of the school board and faculty, I was told it was in poor taste.
Old January 13, 2015, 02:14 PM   #55
CowTowner

Quote:
I was told it was in poor taste.
I'm of the opinion that both lawsuits are in poor taste. One against a tool maker and another against the local educators and government.
Neither belong in the courtroom for this atrocity since neither pulled the trigger.
I just see things simply and don't apologize for it.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 13, 2015, 02:40 PM   #56
zxcvbob

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, the "trail" of who is responsible begins and ends with the person who pulled the trigger. Lanza killed his mother, stole the guns, went to the school,murdered children and teachers and killed himself. These facts are not in dispute. He CHOSE to do this. Why he made that choice is of no import (other than our curiosity). Why he did it changes nothing about what he did.
That is the same scenario that played out at the Red Lake High School massacre in Minnesota a few years ago. That one didn't get much attention IMHO because although the shooter killed his grandfather and stole his guns and body armor, Grandpa was a tribal policeman. So the story didn't fit the "only the police should have guns" narrative.

One student intervened and tried to stab the shooter in the neck with a pencil. That didn't work out so well, obviously. If only he'd been able to carry a knife...