The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2008, 10:57 PM   #1
Coop de Ville

Optic for a SG?

Hi All,

Maybe you can help me think this through. I live in a city where I am limited to my duty weapon (G19) and two registered long guns. A Marlin 336 CB (30-30) and a 20" Remmy police magnum.

Because of where I am and certain events that are happening and will happen here, I am finding more and more that I need a viable weapon to secure myself and family. It is unlikely that I will be able to leave due to road closures and city layout.

I was originally thinking in purchasing a second 336. Chopped to 16" with a scout scope set up. I like the idea of sharing ammo with my cowboy, and 16" is a lot handier than 24".

My remmy's always been accurate with slugs and currently wears a set of Wilson trac loks.

I wanted to ask if it would make sense to forego the 336, and instead mount an optic on my pm. I've seen the receiver mount, but what about the optic? EoTech is pushing it in terms of $$$. But it beats a whole new rifle. What optics would you recommend? Also, would the trac loks interfere with the mount?

Let me be honest, too. I am also looking for new toys. I think plinking with an optic would be fun.

Thanks,

-Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old August 10, 2008, 11:00 PM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I had put a Trijicon Reflex on my Remington. Works very well for delivering slugs out to 200 yards.
Old August 14, 2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Coop de Ville

Thanks,

It seems the mount won't clear the rear trak loc. I always did better with a dot than I did with ghost rings. I guess more practice is needed

That reflex sight looks nice though.

Best,

-Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner