The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 30, 2008, 03:11 AM   #1
#20fan

Holster wait time

I was wondering how many people actually wait over 6 mos. for a holster such as a Milt Sparks? I know alot do, hence the wait, but why? To me there are so many quality craftsmen (and women!) out there making quality products that I really don't see waiting so long. Is it like the Harley thing, gotta say Harley or it ain't squat?
I ordered a holster from a highly praised company. They said they would call me back to verify the order, give me the total price and get my billing info. After waiting 3x the time they told me I called them and canceled the order. Figure if they can't make a simple phone call in the time they said who knows when they would actualy get the job done?
Like I said, lots of Companys out there. I had no problem finding one that would make what I wanted and that wanted my money.
Old September 30, 2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Don H

Quote:
I was wondering how many people actually wait over 6 mos. for a holster such as a Milt Sparks?
Enough to create a 6-month backlog.
Old September 30, 2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Wiskey_33

Probably for the same reason some people shoot Les Baer and some shoot Rock Island.

It's worth the wait.

I'm waiting 10 weeks + for my TT Gunleather holster for my P7, and I can promise, it will be well worth it.
Old September 30, 2008, 02:57 PM   #4
#20fan

Quote:
Enough to create a 6-month backlog.
yeah, that was kind of the next line

Quote:
I'm waiting 10 weeks + for my TT Gunleather holster
that is who I canceled with. I have seen thier work and it is beautiful, just wasn't comfortable.
Old September 30, 2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Wiskey_33

Quote:
that is who I canceled with. I have seen thier work and it is beautiful, just wasn't comfortable.
How'd you come to the conclusion it wasn't comfortable if you canceled your order?
Old October 1, 2008, 01:43 AM   #6
#20fan

Sorry, didn't read the way I meant it. I meant that I wasn't comfortable with the way the transaction was or more appropriately wasn't going.
I had talked to them and told them what I wanted. They said 10 weeks (read 12+) and they would call me in 3-5 days with the total. No problem. Almost 3weeks later I called them and canceled. That was 2 weeks of nothing getting done time.
I do the same thing with other business as well. I drove 2.5 hrs. to buy my car instead of 10 mins. across town because of the local dealers sales staff. I have walked out of countless restaurants because of service.
There are just too many companies that want my business and my money to settle for bad customer service.
Old October 1, 2008, 06:16 AM   #7
N-frame Smith

Quote:
There are just too many companies that want my business and my money to settle for bad customer service.
I agree in principle, but a long wait time in itself is not the same thing as bad service. If the guy doesn't contact you with the order confirmation when he says then that's different and that is bad service.

The guys that wait a long time for custom leather, like me, know exactly what they want and can't get it from the countless "average" companies out there that mass produce stuff. I just got some holsters last week from an order I placed the first week of February, and I'm still waiting on another order from another maker that I placed the first week of January, and a third order from yet another maker that I placed the middle of last October.

Quote:
Like I said, lots of Companys out there. I had no problem finding one that would make what I wanted and that wanted my money.
Well, if you're hungry and just need a quick bite you go to McDonalds. If you want a decent sit down dinner you go to Chili's or something similar, and if you want a gourmet meal you've got to go to the fancy restaurant and maybe make your reservation a month in advance. You're not going to get the gourmet meal at McDonalds no matter how many you go to. And that's how it is with guys that want the custom leather. I've got over 50 holsters already so I'm not looking for just a "quick bite" when I order another holster. And I get them from lots of makers, so it's not just a matter of "I've got to have a (X Brand) or it ain't squat".

Or to expand on what Wiskey 33 said, some people shoot a Rock Island, some people shoot a Les Baer, and some people gotta have a Richard Heinie custom. Heinie's got such a backlog, 7 or 8 years I think, that he's quit taking orders because he's afraid he'll die before he makes them all.
Old October 1, 2008, 06:43 AM   #8
Wiskey_33

It's always worth the wait. I'm not sure about waiting for a year or more, but a few months is nothing in the long run.
Old October 1, 2008, 04:03 PM   #9
#20fan

Actually you guys helped make my point since I can't seem to express it properly.
Point I was trying to make, why wait 6 mos. for a MS VMII that while an excellent holster, is still "off the shelf" so to speak. Many other makers can do it in less time, they just don't have the "MS" stamped on them. And why have to put up with bad customer service just for a name?
The rig I had ordered from TT was going to be in the $300+ range. I had no problem with the wait time.
I ended up ordering a rig from Arizona Gunleather. $300+ and into the 7th week of at least a 12 week wait. While it may not be Filet Mignon, it ain't chopped liver neither.
Old October 5, 2008, 08:26 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

my reason

My first custom-ordered Sparks holster was intended to be used mostly as a field holster, and competing.
I had read of the quality, but actually holding mine confirmed it.
I bought a used one like it for a different type of gun.

So when I wanted a holster (for a different gun) that would be gear I bet my life on I gladly waited for my custom Sparks holster (and I had to wait 'longer' because they hadn't yet made any for my type gun, so they had to first get the mule).

I still own my custom-made-for-me Milt Sparks holsters.....
Old October 5, 2008, 10:51 AM   #11
redrick

I have 2 Sparks on order now, only 2 more months to wait.
Old October 5, 2008, 11:19 AM   #12
Un_lucky

If they weren't worth the wait there would not be a 6 month backlog.
Old October 5, 2008, 05:09 PM   #13
Byte

Yep I waited about 7ish months for my custom gun leather. And if I can muster the funds to pick up the new pistol I've been jonesing for I'll be putting in an order and waiting another 7 months! Quality knows no limits! Oh, btw, I wouldn't trade my Texas Heritage IWB from TuckerGunLeather for anything else.

Luckily I don't have the 'need' to carry on the job in a harsh environment and chances are that my gear will never be pressed to failure. For my piece of mind, I never skimp on anything firearms related when I have a choice.

Byte
Old October 7, 2008, 06:21 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

piece of mine

I never skimp on anything life-saving related when I have a choice.
I usually have that choice....