The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

View Poll Results: What aftermarket sights, if any, do you prefer for the Marlin 1894?
Tang mounted aperture sight (Marbles, Lyman). 6 13.33%
Receiver mounted aperture sight (Lyman, Williams). 14 31.11%
Receiver mounted 'ghost ring' sight (XS, Wild West Guns). 12 26.67%
Open sights (aftermarket or factory). 10 22.22%
Other (please specify). 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 4, 2006, 02:09 PM   #26
Leif

Well, color me impressed.
Old May 7, 2006, 11:17 PM   #27
gogetumnow

My personal favorite on my 336C: Marbles Foolproof with Lyman Sourdough square front sight. I'm not a fan of those bead front sights Marlin puts on them from the factory.

Elmer Keith had it right:

"Most hunting rifles come with round-bead front sights. These are excellent for most game shooting especially at short to medium ranges. However, they will not hold elevations at long range on either target or game as well as a square-topped-blade front sight. My old friend, the late Gerrit Forbes, a cousin of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, would have nothing but round beads.

He made three trips across Africa with W.D.M. Bell in the old days and always maintained that eyes are round. I agree, and I am not going to look through a square peep sight or use a square front sight. However, although Forbes hunted elephant extensively and other large game, I am sure he never did any long-range target work or he would have found out the bead was not best to hold elevations. The best hunting front sight for me, both handgun and rifle, is the sourdough front sight with a gold face and a square top. I have them on most of my rifles, both bolt-actions and my big double elephant guns."