The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2021, 10:36 PM   #1
KCRaider21

2021 Hornady Promotions?

The past few years Hornady has had some promotions where you send in rebates from buying their products to redeam free bullets. It’s called the “get loaded” promotion. I have recently received a couple hundred rounds of free bullets from 2020 the promo. It takes a few weeks but worth the wait. I can’t find any info on whether Hornady is continuing this promo in 2021. Anyone heard anything about this?
Old January 23, 2021, 05:56 AM   #2
rc

My guess is there will be no promotions until demand is down again. People were expecting Trump to win. I think it's going to be awhile before we see low priced components and promotions again.
Old January 23, 2021, 08:39 PM   #3
KCRaider21

Kinda what I’m thinking too.
Old January 24, 2021, 06:29 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Hard to say. If the primer shortage means people can't reload, eventually it will get harder to sell bullets (if you don't have an ammo plant that can use all you make). If that happens, the promos may return.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 25, 2021, 12:20 AM   #5
rc

Since hornady does make and market loaded ammo like Hornady TAP pistol ammo that premise doesn't hold water.
Old January 25, 2021, 09:14 AM   #6
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc View Post
My guess is there will be no promotions until demand is down again. People were expecting Trump to win.
Trump was behind in the polls from the get go, that is why demand stayed so high after the initial pandemic rush for guns and ammo. As for why no promotions.....you have to have product availability to promote, and most promotions are to get rid of excess inventory. Neither of which is the case as of now.
Old January 25, 2021, 09:27 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc
Since hornady does make and market loaded ammo like Hornady TAP pistol ammo that premise doesn't hold water.
The fact Hornady makes and markets ammunition does not mean their ammunition plant can use the whole capacity of their bullet manufacturing operation. That's why I said "if" inside the parentheses. Unlike Winchester and Remington, Hornady didn't start as an ammunition maker who sells off surplus bullet production to handloaders. Rather, they started making bullets for handloaders and then added ammunition making after that fact. I have no idea how the capacities of the two lines compare.
Old February 5, 2021, 01:26 PM   #8
cavediver27

I just bought a new set of Hornady dies and went online to fill out the rebate for free bullets. The only form on the website expired on 12-31-2020. I called Hornady and was told they have discontinued the free bullet program. I should have bought the Lee set instead. It was $15 less and includes the shell holder. I had to purchase the Hornady shell holder separately.
Old February 5, 2021, 02:03 PM   #9
KCRaider21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediver27 View Post
I just bought a new set of Hornady dies and went online to fill out the rebate for free bullets. The only form on the website expired on 12-31-2020. I called Hornady and was told they have discontinued the free bullet program. I should have bought the Lee set instead. It was $15 less and includes the shell holder. I had to purchase the Hornady shell holder separately.
Thanks for the information. I kind of figure this would be the case.
Old April 19, 2021, 04:19 PM   #10
moovimn

I responded to the Safe and Secure promotion after buying my Hornady safe, which was from the wife for Christmas and got notified that my free ammo order had been processed on 01Feb21 and was charged the $10 for shipping, but here it is April and still no sight of my two boxes of .38 being shipped. Hope it's before end of year.
Old April 19, 2021, 05:10 PM   #11
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediver27
...but you got better dies, and that is worth something!
Old April 19, 2021, 05:47 PM   #12
Geezerbiker

If I have a choice, I always buy RCBS dies. I have a few Lee sets and they're OK and one Hornady set because they're the only ones to make dies in .17 Hornet. RCBS dies are a little more money but the customer service is second to none...

If you have a problem with Hornady or LEE dies, you're often on your own to solve it.

Tony
Old April 19, 2021, 06:54 PM   #13
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker
If you have a problem with Hornady or LEE dies, you're often on your own to solve it.
I have never had an issue with Hornady like that. In addition to support, I like that my measurements coming out of the FL die on a good press are very good....only bested by Forster and Redding (depending on setup)....
Old May 8, 2021, 01:07 AM   #14
schwob2

I am waiting since 6 months for ELD-X bullets and not even got a delivery date ... there is no reason for them to promote anything except stuff they discontinue and wan to get rid off ...
Old May 8, 2021, 12:52 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

It's pretty common for manufacturers of multiple lines of items to run each item only once a year. If you picked a bullet that had recently been run but quickly sold out of stock, then having to wait a good bit is to be expected. I would call or email Hornady and ask when they have your bullet scheduled to run again.
Old May 8, 2021, 01:50 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

There is a statement on the Hornady website about the 2021 rebate being suspended indefinitely, due to extreme demand for components and their inability to fulfill the rebate orders.
Old May 9, 2021, 08:39 AM   #17
Carriertxv

Tony

That is simply not true.
Old May 9, 2021, 10:03 AM   #18
BillyBoy 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
If I have a choice, I always buy RCBS dies. I have a few Lee sets and they're OK and one Hornady set because they're the only ones to make dies in .17 Hornet. RCBS dies are a little more money but the customer service is second to none...

Tony
I agree , rcbs is the best in customer service .
Old May 9, 2021, 10:57 AM   #19
FrankenMauser

Quote:
For Lee, I completely agree. Never buy Lee, unless you're willing to open the box, find something that never should have left the factory, and have to pay out of your own pocket to send it back to be replaced. Lee is terrible.

Hornady, however, is about attitude. Hornady's customer service is allowed "latitude" in how they address customer complaints and problems with their products. If you explain the issue and request corrective action in the typical manner of a calm human being, they will take care of you. However, if you call them and throw a fit, throw out insults, rant about how incompetent they are, give them even the slightest idea that you were misusing the tool(s), or generally act like a jerk, their customer service has the option to tell you to get bent.

So, yes, you are on your own with Hornady ... if you are a jerk.
But if you are not an a-hole, they take care of you almost as quickly and easily as RCBS.

I honestly wish more companies would officially adopt the Tromix warranty:
Quote:
Q: What is the warranty on Tromix parts?

A: If you act like a reasonable adult, there is an unlimited warranty on all parts. However, if you act like an a--hole, there is no warranty.
Old May 11, 2021, 11:11 PM   #20
Geezerbiker

The one time I called Hornady it was about the lack of a vent hole in their .300 Blackout dies. I was having a hard time sizing the cases without lube dents or sticking a case. They told me that these dies didn't need a vent and I wasn't doing it right. Both Lee and RCBS have vent holes in their .300 Blackout dies. I was broke so I went with Lee but I'll probably at some point replace them with RCBS.

I had to polish the expander plug that came with the Lee set but that was less trouble than pulling a stuck case out of the Hornady dies.

Needless to say I'll never buy a set of Hornady dies again if I can avoid it.

Tony