The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 7, 2021, 10:11 PM   #1
Kurbsky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 22, 2009
Posts: 390
When will we be able to buy Glock G46 in US?

When will be able to buy Glock G46 in US?
Kurbsky is offline  
Old January 8, 2021, 09:28 AM   #2
9x19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 15, 1998
Location: Sherman, TX USA
Posts: 3,654
Is it even for sale in Europe?

I'm not interested personally, just too much about the design that is simply un-necessary, to me.
__________________
Make mine lean, mean, and 9x19!
9x19 is offline  
Old January 10, 2021, 01:56 PM   #3
XDforever
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 10, 2006
Posts: 151
Never heard of it. What is it?

Joe
XDforever is offline  
Old January 10, 2021, 02:06 PM   #4
TunnelRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2011
Posts: 11,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDforever View Post
Never heard of it. What is it?

Joe

It’s reported to be a rotating barrel Glock.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-new-glock-46/

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/shoo...e-police-test/

Frankly I haven’t heard anything about it in some time. The second article says it isn’t available for civilian sales, though even that article is from the end of 2019.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TunnelRat is offline  
Old January 11, 2021, 08:29 AM   #5
Destructo6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 18, 1999
Location: Nogales, AZ USA
Posts: 3,971
So, what's the claimed advantage over the standard Glock tilting barrel?
__________________
God gave you a soul.
Your parents, a body.
Your country, a rifle.

Keep all of them clean.
Destructo6 is offline  
Old January 11, 2021, 08:30 AM   #6
TunnelRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2011
Posts: 11,129
Read the second article.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TunnelRat is offline  
Old January 11, 2021, 10:48 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 8, 2001
Location: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Posts: 12,399
So the rotary barrel is supposed to be more accurate, which I guess is just fine except for the fact that Glock pistols were already plenty accurate for pistols. Given typical pistol shooting distances, the accuracy aspect likely won't matter to most shooters as they won't actually be able to shoot well enough to notice a difference and/or won't be shooting far enough to notice a difference.

Here is an "old" Glock 17 with 365K rounds through it that is shooting better groups than the rotary barrel at the same distance. Granted, it is a 3 shot versus 5 shot group and the results are not 100% comparable, but it attests to the idea that the improvement in accuracy isn't apt to be noticed by (most) shooters.
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...-torture-test/

The down side to the rotary barrel, according to the article, is increased wear, which Glock says they have dealt with by hardening the locking surfaces.

I am all for guns being more accurate, but I am not sure that the purported increased accuracy is significant enough to account for the increased complexity of design or other potential issues that may crop up with a new design that are previously resolved with the old design. It is sort of like the New Coke issue. Nothing was wrong with the old Coke.
__________________
"If you look through your scope and see your shoe, aim higher." -- said to me by my 11 year old daughter before going out for hogs 8/13/2011
My Hunting Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Double Naught Spy is offline  
Old January 11, 2021, 11:07 AM   #8
eflyguy
Member
 
Join Date: January 1, 2021
Posts: 87
As best as I understand it, the rotary barrel was simply a requirement to bid on a contract with the German law enforcement agency(ies), and that requirement was added to intentionally rule out the Austrian company from the bidding. Political games. I suspect they produced it just to stick it to the German agency.

I don't believe it's considered to be "better" by any means - other than by marketing if they do decide to adopt it for consumer sales.
eflyguy is offline  
Old January 11, 2021, 11:42 AM   #9
kenny53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 30, 2015
Location: My back yard
Posts: 857
What I found was the gun is under test. I didn't notice the date on the article but I don't think I would be interested in one. I had a Gen 2 G19 I loved but gave to my daughter when It started to get crazy a few months ago. I have a MP 9 so I am not helpless.
kenny53 is offline  
Old January 11, 2021, 12:42 PM   #10
TunnelRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2011
Posts: 11,129
When will we be able to buy Glock G46 in US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
So the rotary barrel is supposed to be more accurate, which I guess is just fine except for the fact that Glock pistols were already plenty accurate for pistols. Given typical pistol shooting distances, the accuracy aspect likely won't matter to most shooters as they won't actually be able to shoot well enough to notice a difference and/or won't be shooting far enough to notice a difference.

Here is an "old" Glock 17 with 365K rounds through it that is shooting better groups than the rotary barrel at the same distance. Granted, it is a 3 shot versus 5 shot group and the results are not 100% comparable, but it attests to the idea that the improvement in accuracy isn't apt to be noticed by (most) shooters.
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...-torture-test/

The down side to the rotary barrel, according to the article, is increased wear, which Glock says they have dealt with by hardening the locking surfaces.

I am all for guns being more accurate, but I am not sure that the purported increased accuracy is significant enough to account for the increased complexity of design or other potential issues that may crop up with a new design that are previously resolved with the old design. It is sort of like the New Coke issue. Nothing was wrong with the old Coke.

Comparing group sizes across different users at different sites brings in a lot of variables. Ammunition choices, how the pistol is shot, etc. Is that Glock 17 actually more accurate than a Glock 46? Hard to say. I agree regular Glocks are certainly accurate. I will say that I personally have noticed the Gen 5 Glocks I own to be more accurate than the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks I’ve owned. Sometimes changes can result in noticeable differences.

This new design adds 3 parts over a standard Glock. Could those 3 parts be problematic? They might be.

One other advantage of this is supposed to be somewhat reduced felt recoil due to the lower bore axis (the second article above has a picture showing the difference). Will this really matter when shooting 9mm out of a compact sized 9mm? I don’t know.

In the end no one here wrote the contract. Someone did write the contract and Glock won it, which is good for Glock regardless of if they sold this new pistol or a previously existing design. As best as I can tell whether or not the differences are worth it is somewhat of a moot point because there is no evidence this will be offered for civilian sales.

Some people actually liked New Coke better, as crazy as that might be. It doesn’t seem like Glock will stop developing tilting barrel pistols any time soon so Old Coke isn’t going away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TunnelRat is offline  
Old January 12, 2021, 07:42 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 8, 2001
Location: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Posts: 12,399
Quote:
Comparing group sizes across different users at different sites brings in a lot of variables. Ammunition choices, how the pistol is shot, etc. Is that Glock 17 actually more accurate than a Glock 46? Hard to say. I agree regular Glocks are certainly accurate
.

When the claim is made that something is more accurate than the previous design, I would expect some less questionable documentation, LOL.

They posted their results and they didn't look superior to the results of folks shooting older Glocks at the same distance.
__________________
"If you look through your scope and see your shoe, aim higher." -- said to me by my 11 year old daughter before going out for hogs 8/13/2011
My Hunting Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Double Naught Spy is offline  
Old January 12, 2021, 08:18 PM   #12
TunnelRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2011
Posts: 11,129
When will we be able to buy Glock G46 in US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
.

When the claim is made that something is more accurate than the previous design, I would expect some less questionable documentation, LOL.

They posted their results and they didn't look superior to the results of folks shooting older Glocks at the same distance.

It’s not the same people shooting or measuring the groups you’re comparing. You’re comparing a writer-chosen, 3 shot group from a Ransom Rest to a series of fourteen 5 shot groups from a sandbag. I don’t know that I consider that apples to apples.

It’s a third party website as well, not Glock themselves. I’m not sure a third party website owes anyone any kind of “documentation” when they make a statement about a certain action type in general. This was what the article stated :

“By the way, rotary action pistols are said to be more accurate, since the barrel does not tilt or moves back as with the Browning-SIG-Petter system, but only performs a rotating motion.”

I don’t personally read that statement as a claim that this pistol will be definitively more accurate than Glock’s existing designs. Seems more like a hypothesis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 12, 2021 at 08:44 PM.
TunnelRat is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2020 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Page generated in 0.06970 seconds with 10 queries