The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 10, 2002, 04:35 PM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

Soda,

They have candy, some chips, and water and soda machines.

If you want anything more than that, it's best if you bring your own.

Some of us get together for lunch afterwards, I'd like to do that again if everyone is game for it.

I got Mal, my friend Herb (he was there last time, won't make it this time) and I went looking for the gunshow in Bealton. Bastards changed the date, so we went to Clarke Brothers (HOLY CRAP, their ammo prices are INFRIGGINGSANE!) and to Wally World, where I got 200 rounds of Federal 8 shot.

Bob, if you need to borrow ammo, you can bum some of mine. It's cheap.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 10, 2002, 10:39 PM   #27
Mr. James

Thank you, Mike,

I'm hoping to bring some 12s and 20s since I don't know what they'll have available for rentals. Also planning to bring a cooler of bevies. See y'all tomorrow

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old August 11, 2002, 04:20 PM   #28
David Park

Thanks to Mal H, Mike Irwin, Mr. James (and son), Roadrunner, and SodaPop for showing up today. If anyone else showed up late, sorry you missed us, because we had just the right number for a round of sporting clays and started the course at 11:15 or so. It was busy, but everyone was able to rent a shotgun who needed one, which was my biggest worry. The weather reports say it was 93 degrees today, but I drove past a business on the way back that said 101, and that's what it felt like. The heat must have thrown off our shooting.

After sporting clays, Mike suggested a quick game of wobble trap, which was a good idea since we needed the ego boost. I came in second (after Mike) with 20/25, which is the best I've done in three TFL meets. I used Win. Light Target #8 shot for wobble, which didn't really seem to have more kick than the Xtra Lite #7.5 for sporting clays. My shoulder isn't sore, but my forearms are really starting to turn red, so I'll have to add some suntan lotion to the range bag.

I'll try to get my pictures developed and posted fairly soon, if my scanner will cooperate. I hope everyone else had fun. We'll have to have another meet when it's a little cooler, maybe at night.
Old August 11, 2002, 08:57 PM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

I had a ton of fun today.

When I got home, I just about crashed and burned, though. It was all I could do to check messages and lay down for a half-hour recharge.

Then I put up some new halogen lights, realized that my neck is sunburned as hell, and decided that I want to shoot again soon.

I DESPERATELY want to shoot wobble strap at night! That looks like it would be so damned much fun!

Old August 11, 2002, 09:03 PM   #30
Jamie Young

Quote:
but my forearms are really starting to turn red, so I'll have to add some suntan lotion to the range bag.
Well I think I got a nice tan today.

I did a lot better with My 870, a lot better than I thought I would. I had fun and it was worth the trip. I'm am pretty washed out. That heat was pretty intense.

Oh, and I got to meet a Moderator
Old August 11, 2002, 09:14 PM   #31
Mal H
Staff

SodaPop, that's a dubious honor at best.

I also had a blast, so to speak. Although my shotgunning still leaves a whole lot to be desired (I'm fairly well convinced that the 'clay' birds they were using were made of Titanium). Nonetheless, it was great to shoot the sporting clays with some very good TFL members.

I was telling Mike that I had an epiphany about my shotgunning when I got home, so look out, the next outing may turn out differently
Old August 11, 2002, 09:48 PM   #32
Mr. James

David, Roadrunner, SodaPop, Mal H., and, of course, Mike Irwin.

Most fun I've had with clothes on.

Then I had to come home and start pulling up the old @*#$@ vinyl flooring - and the plywood it was mounted on - in anticipation of the Great Hardwood Flooring Adventure. Yikes, sweatin' up a monsoon, 'though I've no idea how there was any moisture left in me after Bull Run.

And I almost did jump up and yell "PULL" at church.

Wow. What I've been missing.

Thanks, all, for your superlative company and enduring patience. It was sure a pleasure to meet you guys.

Of course, my son is disinherited. He told my wife (volunteered it, he did!!) that we went shooting "when we should have been home working on the hardwood floors." C'mon, lad, don't do me like that!!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old August 11, 2002, 10:43 PM   #33
K80Geoff

Hey Soda, at least the moderator in question did not run out when you showed up like he did when I went to a VA shoot!

What is it about the Mods on this site anyway, one even ran away and joined the Army so he would not have to face me!

How about a Sporting Clays Shoot sometime in late September or Early October at one of the courses on the Peninsula. Close enough for you VA people (that means you Mal!) and for the PA mob.

I am thinking of possibly J P Sporting Clays or Pintail Point.

I will see if I can find some maps.

How come nobody is giving scores?
Old August 11, 2002, 10:56 PM   #34
Mr. James

Mr. Ross,

Because I s***.

But I love it!!

Guys, thanks again!! Damn, still got that stoopid smile on my face.

Old August 12, 2002, 01:26 AM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Most fun I've had with clothes on."

And your clothes had best STAY on when you're shooting with us, lest you gain enough lead weight to be used as a fishing sinker...

The situation with the floors could have gone a lot more smoothly had you accepted my offer of assistance... Of course you realize that all I really wanted was your beer?

My score for sporting clays was, I believe, 19 of 50 (ouch), which put me second.

My score for wobble trap was 22 of 25 (that's better), which put me first.

David's proficiency is increasing GREATLY. At the rate he's going he's going to be consistently first in our group in short order.

For the first time out, Bob shot VERY well.

Mal, I wish your ephipany had come on Saturday, instead of Sunday afternoon...

I think next time we go out I WILL take my riot gun, just to have a riot...

Old August 12, 2002, 09:46 AM   #36
Roadrunner

A night shoot would be nice. However, I believe that means we would have to shoot on a weekday evening since the range closes at 6:00 pm on weekends. I'll inquire about their hours.

I agree, it was alot of fun shotgunning at Bull Run. Maybe Dave or Sodapop will post a picture of our motley crew. Regards.
Old August 12, 2002, 11:25 AM   #37
Mike Irwin
Staff

Evening shooting shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless we run into traffic on 66 or 29, which is always a possibility.

Maybe later in the fall when it starts getting dark earlier.

I doubt, however, that they allow shooting during full dark. The neighbors would probably get a little cheesed. There are some people who live just close enough to be annoyed, I'd guess.

Just called the office. During the week they shoot from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. It would be full dark by that time in October, and close to it now.

And, if you go to meet 7:30 or so, the traffic wouldn't be quite as bad.

I'm all for it guys!

Old August 12, 2002, 11:58 AM   #38
Jamie Young

Quote:
one even ran away and joined the Army so he would not have to face me!
ROTFLAO (just between me and you Geoff)

Actually, Mike, I took second place and you came in 3rd. I was behind "RoadRunner" by I think about 5 shots. On the sporting clays that is. I came in 4th at the wobble trapp.

Geoff, why don't we do something the weekend after Labor Day? I was thinking about a rifle shoot in late Sept. I'm all for shooting shotguns now that I have a 12gauge. Its a heck of a lot cheaper than shooting up all My 308 and .223.
Old August 12, 2002, 01:10 PM   #39
9mmMike

Glad you guys had fun. I'm getting pretty tired of missing these things due to work. The NJ shoot is the day before a really big deal at work that I can not miss but I am almost certain that I will make that one, even if I can not stay late.
A PA shoot after Labor Day weekend would be while I am in NC shooting at the Outer Banks Gun Club. I would be sad to miss a SG shoot in my own backyard.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old August 12, 2002, 01:41 PM   #40
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Actually, Mike, I took second place and you came in 3rd."

You did? Good on ya. I missed that. How many did you break?

Not bad for not having fired your 870 that much before.

I've discovered a great truism about myself. If they're coming straight for me, or moving away, I'm deadly on them.

If they're crossing, I've got problems.

The wobble trap was funny. For the first 5 shots I think all of us were tied at 4 for 5. For about the first 10 shots Ian and I were matching shot for shot.

Old August 12, 2002, 08:45 PM   #41
Jamie Young

My score was 22. I thought it was higher than that. I believer you were only a couple away from me. I usually shot well when I concentrated. I have trouble relaxing and following threw. I didn't have K80Geoff hawking down on me to "follow threw" so I kinda fell apart towards the end. I like the last stand, with the "rabbits."

I also noticed I do better on fast clays rather than the slow ones. If I have too much time to think, I crack.
Old August 12, 2002, 10:28 PM   #42
Mike Irwin
Staff

Soda, my swing and follow through just positively STINK.

I'm considering taking a class or two to hopefully get some work in on the basics.

I was also having some problems picking up some of those clays coming out of the trees.

Old August 12, 2002, 10:33 PM   #43
Jamie Young

Black on black is kinda hard to pick out isn't it. I guess that one where we were all under the trees was pretty hard.

I get better with practice. I have a tendency to yell PULL before I'm really ready. I think we all should have done the "wobble" first and the field second.
Old August 12, 2002, 10:35 PM   #44
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yeah, wobble first would probably be best.

I'm interested in trying the 5-stand one of these times, as well. Looks to be an interesting variation on sporting clays.

Old August 13, 2002, 07:03 PM   #45
K80Geoff

5 stand is indeed a microcosm of Sporting Clays. A well set up course can be challenging.

J & P Sporting clays on the Eastern shore has one set up on a pond. Very difficult.

As to target color. At the Remington School years ago they threw GREEN targets in the woods.

And at a Connecticut Travellers shoot three years ago it snowed, and they had WHITE targets

Come to one of Soda's shoots at W & W, hey have a decent 5 stand.

Get that tricked out Beretta yet?
Old August 15, 2002, 04:52 PM   #46
Poodleshooter

Arrrgh! There was a TFL VA shoot and I missed it!
Sounds like you guys had fun. When's the next one?
Old August 19, 2002, 09:28 PM   #47
David Park

Pictures!

Here are the few pictures I took at the meet, fresh off of PhotoCD.

Roadrunner demonstrates proper shotgunning attire. You can't really see it (white letters), but his screen name is on the back of his shirt.

SodaPop aims for a clay in the distance as the rest of the gang look on. You can see the clay just to the right of all the dead branches.

SodaPop, shooting his new 870. In the background is the entrance to the woods area of the course, but unlike last time most of the stations were out in the hot sun.

Mr. James prepares to fire as Roadrunner watches.

Mal H waits to begin in some welcome shade in the woods.

The whole crew (except me) at the end of the day: Mal H, SodaPop, Mike Irwin, Mr. James & son, and Roadrunner.
Old August 19, 2002, 11:17 PM   #48
Jamie Young

I gotta get My film developed. I still have a roll of film from the NJ shoot last year that's undeveloped. I'm still not sure about getting the film developed at My local store. Last time I got a bunch of pictures developed there of Me and My 9yr old Nephew with guns they gave Me dirty looks. I gotta get them developed soon. I'll post them as soon as I get them done.
Old August 20, 2002, 11:32 AM   #49
Mal H
Staff

Very nice pictures, David. Now we have to urge SodaPop to get his developed so everyone can you also. I used Soda's camera to take several shots of all the shooters at the wobble trap stand.
Old August 20, 2002, 12:09 PM   #50
David Park

Mal, I think I discovered your problem -- you were holding the shotgun upside-down!

Soda, don't feel bad, I also had pics from my Colorado trip (May 2001) on the same roll. This was the first time I got a PhotoCD, and I was pretty happy with the results. The digicam is ready for the NJ meet, and I'll try to avoid so many rear-end shots this time.