The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 1, 2012, 10:54 AM   #1
1tfl

Need 2 3/4" Duck Load Recommendation

Okay, I'm going on a duck hunting road trip this winter with some old friends. We used to hunt ducks together a lot 25+ years ago. We used to go on these duck hunt road trips where we would spend days on the road going from location to location to hunt duck and maybe cover a dozen different spots in as many days. It was a great way for four of us to spend time together. Now there is three of us left and we are going to do another trip.

I need some recommendations for a good duck load to use in my 12 gauge 2 3/4" Remington 1100. It's the only shotgun I have which I can use on this hunt. Last time I hunted ducks we were still using lead shots in our guns. I don't know anything about steel shots so any recommendations would be appreciated. I just want something 12 gauge 2 /34" and legal and economical as I will be supplying shells for everyone. I expect we will be shooting mostly wood ducks around here.

Thanks.
Old November 1, 2012, 12:03 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

Hi there. I am not a hunter and will let them figure this out, but I think they will need to know the guns (especially chokes) that everyone has. I am guessing that your 1100 has a fixed choke, probably a fixed full choke, that is not rated for steel.

Will your buds be shooting guns rated for steel?

This recent thread may be of some help and I assume that you don't want to get a new barrel or have screw in choke tubes installed. Look at the posts by Virginian-in-LA and Big Pard. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505014
Old November 1, 2012, 12:22 PM   #3
1tfl

I have a newer 1100 with the 28" vent rib barrel and Remchoke system. I'll be using Mod or IC depending on which one patterns better with the load. Others in the group shoot newer Remington 870 with 28" barrel with Remchoke and a Winchester Super X Model 1 Field which has a modified choke.
Old November 1, 2012, 01:06 PM   #4
SPEMack618

This is on case in which new legislation may help you....

Winchester Super-X is now producing steel "field" loads in response to the recent media bro-haha over lead shot, including sizes as big as No. 2 and No. 4, it's even available at Wal-Mart, legal and effective.

I actually bagged my first duck with a Remington Sportsman 58, an ancestor of sorts to the 1100, shooting Winchester No. 4 steel shot.
Old November 1, 2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Scorch

Find someplace to buy Kent Fasteel shotshells. They are pretty cheap, but work well.
Old November 1, 2012, 02:54 PM   #6
SPEMack618

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/383...shot-box-of-25

It's out of stock at Midway, but that's what I recommend.

I bet Bass Pro, Academy, maybe Wal-Mart, or your LGS would have it though.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:45 PM   #7
BerdanSS

I actually just had a run in with that new(er) Winchester steel. I didn't even notice that it was steel shot till I got out to the truck. I just saw the price tag for $21.98 on sale for a 100 round value pack of super X 6s and 4s, and grabbed a box of each. From what I can tell they are the exact same loads...just with steel shot instead of lead. They patterned well out of my 1400 with an IC choke.

The 6s are 2 & 3/4" 1oz shot with a velocity of 1325. At roughly $0.22 a shell thats not to bad.
Old November 1, 2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Noonan

Remington Nitro steel

I have an 1100 2 3/4 also. I have had success using the Remington nitro steel #4 shot. My experience has only been shooting wood ducks at close range, but it works fine for that.
Old November 2, 2012, 08:40 AM   #9
AllenJ

I have been using Remington Nitro 2 3/4" #2 for years and have zero complaints about them. I have used both the 1 1/8th oz and 1 1/4 oz loads but like the 1 1/8th better. I seem to get better results from them.