The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 27, 2012, 10:16 PM   #1
tws92E05

Franchi Instinct SL O/U

Does anyone out there own or shoot the new Franchi Instinct SL or L model in 12 gauge. I was looking at them at the local store and really liked them but was leaning towards the L model. I am using it for sporting clay and bird hunting.

My wife bought me the SL model for my birthday since they had sold the L model that I really liked. My concern is that the alloy frame on the SL model is about 1 pound lighter which could produce more felt recoil and as I get older the recoil might be a concern when shooting multiple rounds of clays.

I do alot of business at the store where she bought it and he told me he would take it back and trade it for a L model when he gets a new one in. I am looking for any pro's or con's so I can make my decision on keeping it or trading it back in for the L model.

Thanks in advance for any information or comments.
Old March 28, 2012, 02:01 PM   #2
PetahW

WITHOUT PICS, IT DIDN't HAPPEN ! .

I dunno 'bout others, but I'm ready for a full report - They're decent-looking shootin' irons, IMHO.
The lightweight'd be my pick - life's too short (now) for totin' a heavy gun.

Hapy B-Day, BTW - BUT - CONGRATS to yer wife ! Ya got a good'n.

Old March 28, 2012, 02:28 PM   #3
zippy13

There was a review of the new Franchis in last month's American Rifleman. IMHO, both versions are on the light side. Franchi is noted for making very light guns. Consequently, durability issues aside, I'd opt for the heavier steel framed version for recoil reduction and a smoother swing. YMMV.
Old October 25, 2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Speckler

Franchi SL 12ga. 28"

I own this shotgun. It is fantastic. The design of this gun is such that recoil is so minimal I was shocked! It is my first shotgun, tho I have fired many others, Remi semi 12ga, Mossburg500 pump.. Mossburg=painful recoil.

My first day out shooting clays I put 500 rounds thru, and by the first 25 was hitting 2/3 clays as a new shooter and using Federal target load. By the end my shoulder felt unhurt!

After that, off to shoot grouse. a pleasure on the trail, nice and light.
Old October 25, 2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Lock Stock

I bought a Franchi Dominator today - 30" Trap gun. Weighs 8lbs 4oz - hardly light. As for durability, the gun I bought is 25 years old and is in near mint order as it's been well maintained by the previous owner.

I also shoot a Zoli Kronos Sport (29.5", fixed chokes) and a Zoli Sport Z-Extra (32" with extended chokes). We have a saying over here that these types of guns are "guns for life", meaning that they wear extremely well, even when you're putting 300+ shells a day though them.