The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 6, 2016, 07:18 PM   #26
FITASC

Depending on the type of gun, it is easier to download a 12 than it is to upload a 20. I reload 3/4oz for 12 and 20 for practice, which is a 28 gauge level making for very light loads, that are inexpensive to reload, and allow me to shoot a lot for little cost. Now, for serious work - whether clays, hunting or HD/SD, I use factory.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 7, 2016, 10:33 PM   #27
P71pilot

A 20ga is plenty of power, especially for humans, in a self defense role. I myself have only ever owned or shot 12gauges and .410s, and I know 12ga is much more available as far as diversity of loads goes. There are low recoil 12ga slug and buckshot options, which should have about as much recoil as a clay pigeon load, which isnt bad whatsoever. I like 12 better and wouldn't own a 20ga just becuase I am so used to the 12 and love the .729 caliber. Cannot beat a 3/4" slug barreling through a target. Especially a brenneke or quality expanding slug. I have killed 2 whitetailes deer with a 12ga. One was with a foster smoothbore type slug and the other was with a rifled barrel shotgun (Remington copper solid HP, 1oz, .50 saboted load).

Since there is a woman involved I recommend the 20ga
Old April 8, 2016, 12:26 AM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Safety reminder...

Because there is another person involved, AND they are not as familiar with firearms as you are (as far as we know...)

You might consider having only one. Either is plenty, but both together is a slight risk, particularly if there is a less experienced user.

The 12/20 Burst is always a real possibility, when both calibers of ammo are available, unless specific care is taken.

So, IF it winds up a 12 for you, and a 20 for her, make it a point that none of "her" ammo winds up mixed in with "yours".

12 in a 20 simply won't fit, not a safety issue, but not a good thing when you need the gun for defense. 20 in a 12 is a potential disaster, the 20gr shell will slide some distance down the barrel before it gets stuck, leaving an empty chamber (and some "runnin room") for a 12ga shell to go in, and FIRE, with a burst barrel usually being the result.
Old April 8, 2016, 12:37 AM   #29
SHR970

There is a reason that 20 Gauge ammo is YELLOW!

ONLY 20 Gauge ammo is YELLOW!

If it isn't YELLOW it is well Pre 1970 more like pre WW II
Old April 8, 2016, 10:28 AM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

I have seen orange 20ga shells too.

Purple seems to be 16ga.

12ga is any color you like, OTHER than yellow. Red, green, black, blue, etc.

The standardized color coding is a big help, IF you know what it means. I'm sure it went a long way to reducing the risks.

However, it can't help if one doesn't know about the risk, if one is colorblind, or in the DARK.

The worst case situation I can imagine is the MRS (not a gun person), alone, in the dark, in a hurry (defense situation) grabbing the 12ga, and some 12 AND 20ga ammo. Loading the gun, getting a 20ga into the chamber (where it then slides into the barrel), trying to fire the gun, getting only a click, then feeding a 12ga into the chamber and firing it, with blow up results.

(the other possibility of a 20 in a 12 is that the extractor holds the 20 in place so it gets fired (not likely, but not impossible) in which case, you get a ruptured shell that likely will not extract, tying up the gun)

Now, this is a situation that is easily prevented by a little PROPER prior planning, but if you don't, it could happen. Odds are low, but not zero, unless you take some simple steps to ensure the odds are zero.
Old April 8, 2016, 10:32 AM   #31
FITASC

Quote:
Purple seems to be 16ga.
I thought that was a standard for safety like the yellow 20s until a friend gave me a box of Italian target loads that had a purple load. IIRC, they were Bornaghis
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 8, 2016, 03:52 PM   #32
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Now, this is a situation that is easily prevented by a little PROPER prior planning, but if you don't, it could happen. Odds are low, but not zero, unless you take some simple steps to ensure the odds are zero.

That was partly my reasoning for sticking with 12 gauge... I even got rid of my 3.5" Mossberg to make it even easier (all my 12s are 3"). I did pickup a .410 AR upper, but if I'm shoving .410s into a 12 Gauge, I probably shouldn't be shooting.
Old April 9, 2016, 02:20 PM   #33
FITASC

Shove them in all you want;m they'll simply drop right on through
Old April 9, 2016, 03:08 PM   #34
drive_sideways

A 12 gauge with standard 3" loads dosent kick bad at all in a remington 870.
My wife is 5 feet tall an 100 lbs an will shoot skeet all day with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 9, 2016, 04:39 PM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

she shoots skeet all day with 3" 12ga??
Old April 9, 2016, 05:46 PM   #36
SHR970

drive sideways Your 5'0" 100 lb wife shoots rounds of skeet w/ 3" shells?

I would PAY good money to see her do 4 rounds, let alone all day!
Old April 9, 2016, 07:24 PM   #37
FITASC

Quote:
A 12 gauge with standard 3" loads dosent kick bad at all in a remington 870.
My wife is 5 feet tall an 100 lbs an will shoot skeet all day with one.
this some backyard clays?

Not happening on a real skeet field
Old April 9, 2016, 08:18 PM   #38
P71pilot

Skeet/clay pigeon loads and buckshot/slugs have a much different recoil feel.
Old April 10, 2016, 06:24 AM   #39
FITASC

If the velocity and payload is the same, the recoil is as well.
Old April 11, 2016, 12:17 AM   #40
44 AMP
Staff

and, on that happy note, I think we're done.

Closed