The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 19, 2009, 04:55 PM   #1
onthejon55

Defense Bullet Type

What type of bullets do you have stocked up for your SHTF gun? Would one be better off with FMJs for over all use or would SP be better because of the bigger wound channel/hunting application? Should I also consider penetration such as through car doors and the like?
Old February 19, 2009, 06:57 PM   #2
oldkim

A suggestion....

For the purposes of SHTF. Get any good ammo but more importantly get plenty of magazines for them.

Hate to think you have 50 cases of ammo SD ammo but only two magazines.

Loaded and ready to go because no one stops for you to reload a magazine.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old February 19, 2009, 07:00 PM   #3
CDFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkim
Loaded and ready to go because no one stops for you to reload a magazine.
That's the problem with people nowadays: they're ungentlemanly. I understand they're trying to kill me, but do they have to be so rude about it? They interrupted my schedule and object to waiting a few minutes while I recharge my magazines? The nerve!

Oh, and I'm partial to hollowpoints myself. Even FMJ pistol rounds aren't fantastic at penetration.
Old February 19, 2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Deet

I like JHP for SD, and hunting. If the SHTF I guess any ammo on hand would have to suffice in my handguns. My shotgun would be 00 buck and slugs.
Old February 19, 2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a SHTF gun. I have a few hundred rounds of 357sig and a couple dozen 12ga slugs.
Old February 19, 2009, 07:32 PM   #6
kraigwy

I llike cast semi wad cutters. I use them in my 642 pocket pistol which I also use for small game with I'm camping or horseback riding.

I like the Lvman 358477, 150 grn SWC as it shoots the same place as my 148 grn WCs I use in practice.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 20, 2009, 08:22 AM   #7
The Great Mahoo

I'm partial to semi-wad cutters in my wheelguns and either FMJ or JHP in my autos. I used to prefer hollowpoints across the board, but I am much less concerned these days.

As far as ammo stocked up, I guess its mostly target-grade stuff. I don't keep large stocks for SHTF.
Old February 20, 2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Keltyke

If TSHTF it won't matter what you carry because you'll be up against militia, guerillas, and/or army types carrying full auto serious killing weapons.
Old February 20, 2009, 09:46 AM   #9
Sparks2112

A couple hundred rounds of quality hollow point ammo for pistols, about 500 rounds of Federal Tactical 00 buck for the 12's, and about 1,000 of FMJ for various rifles in various calibers. That's just to have around really, I don't expect TSTHTF for an extended period of time. I'm more worried about black outs lasting more than a day and the looting that would occur afterward. I like in a nice neighborhood, but it's funny how there's a bad neighborhood about 10 blocks down.
J.M. Johnston
Old February 20, 2009, 11:58 AM   #10
onthejon55

I was primarily wondering about rifle ammunition.
Old February 20, 2009, 12:53 PM   #11
Rifleman 173

I would suggest that any home defense situation, as far as ammo goes, would be one where you have practiced a lot with and tested guns and ammo to meet your specific needs. In other words, if you have a .308 rifle, like an FAL, then you should have tested that rifle to see if it will meet your specific shooting needs and if that caliber of ammunition is what you really desire to use. If not, then change to something that you feel is more appropriate.

If you are asking, in general, which rifle is pretty good for home defense or which ammo is good for home defense, then consider a .223/5.56 M-4 type carbine or civilian legal clone using hollow point ammo or TAP ammo. Most of the experts seem to recommend this combination for overall effectiveness and good accuracy.

There is also the option of going with carbines that use pistol caliber ammunition. A good example of a renown firearm that has served Americans well is the old M-1 carbine. That carbine has been used in a number of wars and was actually used by some police SWAT teams when those teams were in their very early teething phases or start up phases. I know of one guy who served in the Korean War who swore by his .30 caliber carbine and actually used it one time to shoot up the car of a burglar he caught in the act. Strafed that car and never heard one word back about it either from the burglar or the police. In addition there are also lever action or saddle carbines that shoot pistol ammo. These carbines are like the ones that the cowboys used and are also very reliable.