The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 29, 2013, 11:21 PM   #1
sarge1967

Looking at a Rossi 92 in .357. Is it a good idea?

I have been wanting a .357 lever gun for a long long while now. I keep on reading or hearing bad stuff about Marlin's new guns, Winchester are out of my price range and Rossi seems to be hit or miss. Any advice as to what to look for before buying one? I think I will go Rossi I just don't want a lemon.
Old January 30, 2013, 04:58 AM   #2
warnerwh

Just examine the Rossi before you buy it. Make a check list. I'm very pleased with both of mine but did check each first. I'd do the same with the Marlin too.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:19 AM   #3
Hawg

The main thing about Rossi is some of the older ones can be a little rough out of the box. You can have an action job done on it but I just filled the action with white lithium grease and worked it a couple of hours. Its slicker than snot on a porcelain doorknob now. Mine is a 44-40.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:46 AM   #4
sarge1967

What do I check for? I know fit and finish, but what problems do I look for in the action?
Old January 30, 2013, 01:46 PM   #5
mike7.62

My lgs had a rossi 92 357 mag instock I went 3 or 4 times looking at It. I had read so many bad things about them not working. I checked It out as best I could in the store and It seemed find. so I bought It 2 days ago, I'm glad I did to, ran great out of the box .38 & .357 mag. both. After a good cleaning It smoothed out even better. It's not a winchestor but for $460.00 It's hard to beat.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Mr. Whimsy

Take some metal 'snap-cap' cartridges and see if they will cycle/chamber. My Rossi appeared perfect - until I actually tried running cartridges through it and it would jam, jam, jam.

No more for me, Taurus.

IMHO, a certain percentage are kit guns. But some guys like to tinker and this is acceptable to them.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Woody55

Mine has a March appointment with a gunsmith who specializes in those things.

In the mean time, it fired the .38s I had just fine.

I had a mixed bag of .357s and some went in fine, some needed a little encouragement and some didn't want to feed at all.

I think I'll need to experiment, keep some records and decide what overall cartridge lengths and shape bullets work best. Then I'll get the reloading process set up that way.

It's accurate enough. No kick at all. The action has a bit of extra resistance as you finally fully close the bolt and just before it is fully open. No big deal. Can't tell what the wood is, but it's for walking around so I don't care.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:25 PM   #8
smee78

I have two of the older Rossi/Interarms models in 357 & 45LC and they are great, no complaints here. Mabye the previous owner worked out any bugs it had? Mine are the pre safety guns and I wont be getting rid of them any time soon. If you do get one and cant get it working right then this is the guy to send them to (http://stevesgunz.com/) every where you go asking about a Rossi lever gun you will see Steve's name pop up as the go to guy for all things Rossi/lever.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Striker1

I have the EMF 20" Model 92 built by Rossi. After 8 years I have never had a problem with function.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:28 PM   #10
hard3

had 1 a few years ago worked great right out of the box. Ran 1000's of 38 specials out of it. would even feed double end wad cutters .Wish I had it back lost in DIVORCE.