The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 10, 2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Uncle G

Springfield Shotgun refurbish.

I have this old shotgun that belonged to my Grandfather that I would like to have refurbished in honor of him. Is this something that most gunsmiths could do and what might the cost be? Your comments are appreciated.

Old March 10, 2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Fleet

Just having it reblued is going to cost substantially more than the gun is worth. Were it me, I'd just give a good wipe down with an oily rag and call it a day. Keep grandpa in your minds eye when you take it out and shoot it.
Old March 11, 2012, 09:24 AM   #3
PetahW

Buy a $7 bottle of a good cold blue, read/follow the directions, before removing the stock(s) & degeasing the metal with laq thinner.

Oil/wax the metal after seveal coats; then do the same to the wood with Howard's Feed 'N Wax.

Your Grandfathe will be proud of both you, and his gun.
Old March 11, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Someone has already refinished the wood.
Cold blue wears easily, stinks, promotes rust, and looks terrible.
My advice is to leave it alone and do normal maintenance.
Old March 11, 2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Uncle G

This picture does not show a clear understanding of the condition of this gun. The entire gun, wood and medal has been sanded down and brushed with a clear wood finish over 25 years ago.
Old March 12, 2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Willie Sutton

Strip the entire thing of the clear coat, wipe the wood down with kerosine and then let it dry for a few days, and then do several coats of linseed oil applied with a rag, coat it a day apart for several coats.

The metal will likely be needing a blueing job if it was really sanded down (which is nearly a criminal offense against a gun, but... it is what it is). You can have it blued by any reasonably competent gunsmith. If the metal is in good shape without deep scratches caused by sanding, you might actually just be best leaving it alone. If it was just steel-wool polished it's likely just best left as-is.

The receiver might have been case hardened, can you see any remaining color there? Redoing that is a job for a real pro.

Willie