The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 20, 2005, 08:39 PM   #1
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Completed Second "Build"...

Hello. Some weeks ago, a close friend and myself began another build of 5" 1911 forty-fives using Caspian slides and frames. Kart's EZ-Fit barrel & bushing were used. Though the guns were quite similar, there were also some differences due strictly to divergences in personal tastes.

Both slides were ordered with the serrated flat-top option and I went with Caspian's Bomar-like rear adjustable sight and had MMC make a front sight to the height I think will be right and to make it w/o the roll pin & hole. I used Caspian's "Trix Trigger", a flat-faced thing that looks sort of goofy but does offer pretty good trigger control. I cannot say that it is better than the more traditional triggers as I've not shot the pistol for group yet. It has been function-tested with 300 rnds of .45 ACP in varying bullet profiles. Works fine.

I opted for the Ed Brown grip safety even though it is a bit harder to mate to the frame and will only be "perfect" when either depressed or released, depending upon its position when fitted. In the final stages it was "lapped" as was the slide to the barrel.

The Wilson stainless narrow extended thumb safety was used and the bottom edge blended to the contour of the frame. The hammer and sear are from Ed Brown. The slide near the Caspian logo is not rough, but bright polished blue. I neglected to get oil and dust off of that portion of the pistol when taking the picture.

Many areas of the frame and slide were stoned and smoothed using up to 2000 grit wet to dry sandpaper. This is very slow but can be nicely done with patience.

It won't help it shoot a darned bit but I polished and left bright blued the area inside and around the trigger guard. There is nothing "practical" about it and simply was done for visual likes.

The Kart bbl and bushing were blue. I polished the bushing. The metal was polished back to the white on the crown. This bushing is fitted a little tight. I can remove it by hand, but it is a little tough w/o a bushing bench. This will ease a bit with use so that it can be removed w/o tools. I opted for the standard spring cap and GI type recoil spring guide.

Stainless steel pins, slide stop lever, safety, and hammer were used on this pistol for contrast and simply to "look good" but there's certainly no practical reason for doing it.
This pistol will see mainly use at the range.

...and from the right side. The stocks are about 25 years old and I'll probably replace them in the near future. As soon as I can, perhaps Sunday, I'll shoot the thing some more and set the sights. If necessary, a different height front sight will be used such that the gun is zeroed with the rear sight in the middle adjustment range so that there's plenty of elevation.

There are many on this board and others who could certainly match or exceed what I was able to cobble together but I am happy with it. Surprisingly, this one took longer to do than the first one!

The gun is safe and both safeties are positive. The disconnector does its job perfectly and I'd estimate the trigger pull right now at 5 lbs but crisp. It will lighten some with use but is a bit heavier than the clean 4 1/2 lbs on the gun's 6" predecessor.

Should you opt to do a similar project, I can only suggest that you go slow, slow, slow and avoid power tools. The VAST majority of this was done with fine stones, sticks wrapped with fine sandpaper, and small files. Be sure you understand what you are doing at the moment and when you tired or too frustrated, QUIT...for right then.

I say I won't do another as this one took a bit longer than the 70 to 80 hours invested in the long slide I did a while back, but when I do, it will be something a bit different than either of these.

Best.
Old May 20, 2005, 09:03 PM   #2
Labuyo

Very nicely done! I particularly like the polished areas.
Old May 21, 2005, 10:41 AM   #3
Shorts

Nice work. The detail work you put into the pistol really shows
Old May 21, 2005, 07:34 PM   #4
carolinaflats

Looks great! Let us know how she shoots once you get the sights set.
BTW-Why change the grips? They look awesome. I've never seen any like that.
Old May 21, 2005, 11:26 PM   #5
yorec

Nice looking gun - ya did a good job.
Old May 22, 2005, 10:09 PM   #6
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

First Serious Shots for Group...

Hello. I finally managed to get to the firing range late in the day today to set the sights on the Caspian 5" 1911.

Essentially that amounted to raising the elevation 2 clicks initially and then one more after shooting the pistol a few more shots at 15 yards.

Ammunition: Today I used only 3 different loads as I'd tested the pistol a week earlier with various JHP and other bullet configurations. Today's mix included S&B 230-gr. FMJ, Hornady 230-gr. JFP loaded over 6.3-gr. Unique in mixed cases, using Winchester large pistol primers, and Precision's 200-gr. CSWC loaded over 5.0-gr. Bullseye. Each of the loads have grouped pretty well for me in various 1911 forty-fives in the past. (I find S&B .45 ACP plenty good in accuracy compared to their 9mm.)

Distances: The pistol was fired at 15 and 25 yards from a sitting position with my hands and wrists on sandbags. I shot some pop cans at about 65 yards but did not shoot for group beyond 25 yards today. (The reason was three-fold: It was hotter than seven yards of you know what, I'd forgotton my cigars, and I was hungry.)

The gun will shoot better than I can. I strongly believe the biggest factor in this group's size is the error that I introduce as a shooter.

This load has been a very consistently accurate load in several 1911 pattern pistols and this one is proving to "like" it, too.

This was the only group fired from 25 yards and was down seated and with wrists/hands supported as was the case for all groups today.

I am not yet really sure how much the flat trigger helps or doesn't as I really didn't notice it one way or the other when shooting. It sort of feels different when you first put it on the gun, but at the range I really sort of forgot about it as I was concentrating on sight picture, etc.

Only two separate magazines were used today: a factory standard McCormick PowerMag and an old Colt factory magazine. They were just fine. Function was satisfactory in that the pistol was 100% reliable.

Ejection was consistent and cases were not dented. Primer strikes were well-centered and there was no evidence readily apparent indicating anything other than a
good, solid strike.

As my eyes get older, I get rustier. I have to "cheat" now using my "range glasses" to really be able to still "get on" those sights. As can be seen here, fired cases are not
butchered and in plenty good shape for reloading.

Only a 150 to 175 rounds total were fired today, about half of what was fired last weekend to function-test the gun. So far, so good.

I don't yet trust the pistol; that will take a few hundred more rounds w/o incident but I am fairly confident that there will be no problems.

Cleaning the gun at home showed no unusual or accelerated wear for the few shots fired. The bright areas that are beginning are pretty much on both sides of the frame and not just one side or the other.

Should there be any problems or unforseen headaches, I'll post that information here.

Best.
Old May 23, 2005, 12:04 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

second-build

Dear Shooter:
That is a very, very nice job - beautiful and it shoots!
Harry B
Old May 23, 2005, 12:58 PM   #8
Dave Sample

The gun and the way you built it is kind of familiar to me. Nice Job!