The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 1999, 12:40 PM   #1
Futo Inu

I'm going to start reloading very soon, I hope, and I was wondering what powder would be the best/most versatile to buy in quantity for reloading 40s&w, .45acp, and 10mm? I want the best combination of good accuracy, but more importantly high vels for the pressures created, and application of those wants over a wide range of bullet weights with all 3 cartridges (from .40s&w with 135gr for defense to 10mm with 200gr for bowling pins). I realize that the answer would be much easier if it was just one cartridge, and the choice must of necessity be a bit of a compromise, as the characteristics of these cartridges are conducive to different best all-around powders; also, the choice would probably be much easier if 45 was eliminated from the mix. But considering all three, I was thinking of HS-6, based just on looking at reload manuals. And, would your answer change if you ALSO threw in 9x19P (which I may want to reload at some point, too)? Also, would your answer change if price was a factor? Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited October 07, 1999).]
Old October 7, 1999, 01:46 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

That's a fairly wide range of requirements for just one powder to fill. I'm going to add one more factor, metering accuracy/consistency, and cast my vote for Accurate #7. For some of the loads you described, it will be the top choice especially in 10mm. For others, it is seldom less than a medium choice. And you can often find it on sale (like this month at Natchez).
Old October 7, 1999, 01:47 PM   #3
10mmrules

Futo,
I reaload all three with Titegroup. it gives the best accuracy, and power also. But I also like power pistol in all three. then again I have used w231 in all of them with success. I guess titegroup is the winner.

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best
Old October 7, 1999, 02:13 PM   #4
Futo Inu

Ahhh, metering consistency/accuracy. Any other factors to consider? And what about Unique?
Old October 7, 1999, 03:02 PM   #5
JoeHatley

Futo,
http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/

Bullseye(my favorite) works with most bullet weights in all 3 calibers.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old October 7, 1999, 04:33 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

Based on your desired performance criteria, I highly recommend Alliant Power Pistol.

Burn rate demands slower powder, eliminating Bullseye, Titegroup, W231. Accurate AA7 is a decent choice, but I believe Power Pistol is the BEST choice.

Skip Unique. If you want a powder like that try Hodgdon's Universal Clays, a modern clean easy-metering alternative to Unique (and almost EXACTLY the same burn rate).

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"